ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toyota Supra Turbo Project (lots of pics)

Chase Racing Clio
So....I have had this Toyota Supra for a bit more than a year now, but it started to burn lots of oil (it is 20 years old) and so, I bought a 2nd car (the Clio of course...) so that I could work on the Supra!
This is the Supra, on the way to Le Mans in 2010:
SupraTurbo03.jpg

The aim of the project is to fully rebuild the engine, with mostly standard components but to a high spec. It's a 3 litre straight six engine, with a nice turbo, so I'm looking to get 300bhp....I'm not gonna go too crazy.

The first step, is to remove the bumper for better access
DSC02517.jpg

DSC02520.jpg

Then, it's the simple matter of clearing the engine bay to free the engine
DSC02531.jpg

Next prep the car ready to hook the crane up (yes, that's me)
DSC02561.jpg

Then, we can start to pull the lump out, being careful to make sure everything is disconnected as we go
DSC02565.jpg

Finally, after much tugging and straining, the engine and gearbox are out and we can get ready to strip it down
DSC02573.jpg

Gearbox disconnected
DSC02576.jpg

Then, we stick the engine onto the stand and get stuck into pulling off some more components
DSC02580.jpg

The head is off
DSC02582.jpg

As you can see, the rings have clearly worn as the combustion chamber contains quite a bit of baked on oil
DSC02584.jpg

Now, we measure the bores to see how much material is left and how much we will need to bore the cylinders by
DSC02594.jpg

And once the bores have been measured and the pistons removed, we work our way to the bottom end and measure the big ends
DSC02596.jpg

That's as far as we've got so far, next step is to spec up which components are required so that I can order them. Then we can get the block, head and crank to the machine shop.

I'm gonna try and keep this up to date. The target is to get the car back on the road before winter sets in, so ideally september/october time.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Different!

I like.

Always remember drooling over that supra when new as my dad was considering one... But went for a 2.8 capri instead :$

ph1 clio 172
i had the mkiv non turbo , lovely car and still quick (232bhp on rr) good luck with the rebuild
j

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I haven't seen one of these for bloody ages!

I had a White G plate one. I bought it for £600 filled it up with about £50 worth of fuel, drove it for about 4 miles and it blew up then I weighed it in for about £300 iirc. Expensive day that was. :(

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Good man.

I remember being taken out in one when i was about 10. Seemed so awesome back then..haha

Chase Racing Clio
Sooo..... after a little while, I've finally managed to make a bit of progress on this!

Here's the head and block after I got them back from the machine shop. Both have been skimmed ready for my metal head gasket and the bores have been done to accommodate new oversized pistons.
DSC02682.jpg

DSC02683.jpg

Next up, all the valves were lapped in and reinstalled.
DSC02684.jpg

DSC02688.jpg

Then, new pistons need attaching to existing con rods and rings need putting on.
DSC02691.jpg

Lay out all my bottom end parts.
DSC02693.jpg

And back in goes the crank.
DSC02695.jpg

And then, pistons go back in (lots of lube needed here).
DSC02696.jpg

That's it for now, but should have another update next week, starting to crack on now I have all the parts!

Chase Racing Clio
So, after another period of time of not getting much done, I've got back on it and made some really good progress.

Here's the block getting finished, with new ARP head studs.
DSC02700.jpg

The head going on, all torqued up to 110Nm! (i was nervous doing that)
DSC02710.jpg

Top end built up with newly painted cam covers
DSC02713.jpg

Engine gets more dress items on, including intake manifold, timing belt and turbo
DSC02721.jpg

Few more items put on and it's finally off the crane ready for the flywheel, clutch and gearbox
DSC02729.jpg

Should be getting it back in the car in the next few days, then it's the good old game of getting it to run!

Chase Racing Clio
Yehh, pretty much all standard on the engine. The turbo is a garrett t26, factory standard, but good for pretty reasonable boost

<3....1JZ = win, but i thought it was a 2.5l?, its a more rev'y engine than the 2JZ in my understanding. Werent tempted with a MK4? (I have a supra mk4 as my second car, just BPU at the moment).

Chase Racing Clio
Really getting moving now, not long 'til the turn key moment. After a few hours of pushing, pulling and grunting, the engine is back in!
DSC02736.jpg

DSC02742.jpg

I also had to change the engine mounts, as the old ones were split..... so, instead of spending 120 quid on some new ones, I made my own.
Firstly, I obtained some standard sized hockey pucks and used contact adhesive to hold them together in a small tower.
DSC02743.jpg

Then, after trimming the small pile to match the same size as the originals, I drilled a big hole straight through the middle, stuck a length of threaded rod through and job's a good un'!!
DSC02746.jpg

And there we go.....in the car!
DSC02751.jpg

All the ancilliaries to connect and should be able to fire it very soon!

Ph2 172 MB 77/468
it made it to lemans?!

i had a 7mge, and it broke down constantly, big end, head gasket, no inner rear arches, £100 a week in fuel, £250 a fortnight in rear tyres. fantastic fun.

and pop up headlights :D

great project thread

Chase Racing Clio
Small update; the engine went in nicely. The two pics below show it just after it went in and then after we'd attached all the ancillaries. I did in fact fire it the other night, and it ran first time, but there was a little oil leak that needs remedying. So, hopefully, the next update will be a nice little vid of it running all nicely!! Then it's MOT time! :D
DSC02752.jpg

DSC02756.jpg