ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track tyres - 195 or 205

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Back on the original question. A down side to the 205s will be that the car is geared up by 1.7% over the 195s. Dunt sound much but it would roughly equate to 0.1 seconds slower to 60mph.

Might equate to .5 seconds faster if you now dont need a gear change ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Price is very similar to the a048's and equivalent so would you consider them better, worse or equal to?

IMHO for dry use, taking into account all of initial grip, grip when worn, durability my preference for track tyres goes:
Michelin pilot sport cups > A048 > R888 > RSR

Only reason I ever have any dries that arent MPSC is that they are so bloody dear, around 180 quid a corner normally :(

Ph2 172 Track Toy
You can get more than a 1.7% difference with tyre pressures lol

The extra width and grip is more than worth it

Maybe maybe not. Depends how good a driver you are. I doubt I will notice and nor will most.

If thats the case then isn't the best size therefore the cheapest size?

But lets assume we are all heroes. Would wheel size make a difference to the choice. If you have 2118s that means 7J, I want some Turinis that are 6.5J.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Maybe maybe not. Depends how good a driver you are. I doubt I will notice and nor will most.

If thats the case then isn't the best size therefore the cheapest size?

But lets assume we are all heroes. Would wheel size make a difference to the choice. If you have 2118s that means 7J, I want some Turinis that are 6.5J.

6.5 or 7 are both in spec for both a 195 and 205 tyre, I have run 205 tyres on 6.5 rims before and had no problem.

Are you racing? cause if not I wouldnt worry about TINY differences if its just for a trackday, its more about fun than laptimes IMHO

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
And then of course the weight of the wheels and tyres as unsprung weight.. never ending really!

182cup & 172 racecar
If 205's gives me .5 sec a lap, then that's good enough for me.

I drove Mark's (Iceman) car at Silverstone, and noticed a big difference in cornering.