ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Tyres - Feedback and Recommendations

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't tried them on track, only on the road. But they seem to have stiffer sidewalls than the Federals so I'd try 30PSI cold like the AD08R.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
30psi cold? What do people suggest 888's? Only ask as I tried them 25 cold and it seemed loads better but the track did have a dry line

172cup
Ran my AD08R's at 30psi cold, after 15-20mins out at cadwell yesterday they were 36psi hot and 34 rears.
Awesome tyres when pressures are all correct (Y)

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Just to follow on from what @NickMelson is saying I was running the 888's yesterday starting the fronts at 22 and the backs at 25 in the cold and they were going to 30 and 28/29 after doing 25min sessions.
I have never had a bad experience on these in the dry - warm/cold and have no plan on changing my dry tyre.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Only 3psi difference from cold to hot?

I'm sure I see gains of about 8psi on mine, set them around 25 cold to see 33 hot.

I set them in the summer on a hot day (RS day at Oulton) and since then I've only checked hot temperatures so the difference in winter may well be higher.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I don't think the tyres made me drive that much quicker if I'm honest.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
They aren't much quicker unless: You're right at the limits of adhesion, it's really warm, you do long sessions (or all three of those).

Tested soft NS2Rs at Snetterton the other week against almost new (full tread) £30 Nankang road tyres we're racing on this year, less than 2s difference on a ~2:30 lap. Yes that's a lot in racing terms, but for track days IMO you're better off on a cheaper tyre that will cope with water / cold better and give you better feedback.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I managed 4secs difference at a 2mile airfield Sprint between knackered budgets (just wanted to test the mechanicals on my XR2) and a new set of medium AO48R's. On a Honda CRX the difference between a midrange road tyre and some AO48R's was more than half that on the same circuit. We were disappointed. Bearing in mind it takes more than a lap to get track tyres warm it was still poor. It was over 20C and the Sun had baked the tarmac. Even when we double drove so the tyres were warm for the second run there wasn't a massive improvement. It depends on the track but track tyres aren't gonna suddenly make your hot hatch a kit car chaser :(

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I see them more as the final touch to some well implemented suspension mods as although Mark cups use of them on a largely standard cup proved a success I think they allow you to overwork the standard components.

I'm really struggling on wether to stay with road tyres when my conti's are dead at the end of this year as using them in 195/45/16 limits ultimate grip but gives a very predictable, lively drive that's accessible to pretty much everyone. You might actually have to concentrate in the faster corners [emoji14]

Planning on taking the front camber to -1.5 degrees as advised by someone on here a while back while keeping everything standard bar some HC discs and brembo HP2000 pads. Hoping to keep costs down in the long run by reducing the tyre wear a little and although I'm happy with the standard brakes the pads and discs wear fairly quickly. I'll let you know how I get on :)

If I'm not impressed it'll go back to standard!!

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed!

I was giving genuine serious thought to replacing my current Bridgestone RE050s with something track orientated when they come up for renewal in a few k miles, but I've come to realise that getting a car moving about is far more fun than being able to say I beat my previous best lap by 3 seconds because of sticky rubber.

No warm up needed, no droning background noise, no sticky blobs of molten rubber on your paintwork, no extra load on components that arguably aren't designed for it...plus the need to work that little bit harder behind the wheel through turns when you come up behind someone who does have sticky rubber.

That'll do me.

172 Cup
I'm trying to choose between the soft and medium ns2r for my track tyres anyone know if there is much difference? I'm guessing the soft are slightly grippier but wear quicker and the meds are slightly harder wearing with a bit less grip is that about right?

172 Cup
I'm keen to try the ns2r I've heard good things from people who know much more about tyres than me, I've also heard the rsr isn't as good as it used to be due to a change in compound/construction of something.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Most go 50. Depends if the car is lowz as it may rub. Mines low and doesn't on the profile. I've personally never thought about 55 profile. At some point I will be trying 205 instead of 195.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Guess it depends if they will be used all the time or as a spare set? But yeah like james says medium will be fine

stumac

ClioSport Club Member
I just bought a set of NS2r, I was going to buy the 180 compound (medium) but was told by the supplier that they are designed for road use and the 120 soft tyres for track use and were very different. Got the soft in the end, worth a try for £212 a set.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Cheers for the advice mate, appreciated.

Hi mate, we were running R888's & A048's at Knockhill last year, with great success on both. We kept them at 30psi hot and had no issues with them, general consensus shared by most guys up there. As noted, check them when you get back into the paddock and adjust accordingly, generally down as they do rise when pushed. To be fair both performed really well, with the A048's being slightly better IMO, possibly due to side wall stiffness. Warm up pretty quickly and by halfway round the second lap fill you full of confidence, but just be mindful of your first quick (quicker) lap entering Duffus........... as noted by Tony, we had them as low as 19 cold and they were hotting 30 hot, but that was on a day with exceptional temps, noting Knockhill is usually graced by that ever so baltic breeze.....

You can get a good deal on the part worn A048's in 195/50/15's from the Mini Cup boys and they will last a good few track days for a fraction of the cost new, always subject to availability though!

This year i have managed to get a bulk buy on R888's from the BMW guys, they had all stocked at the end of last season and had them scrubbed up and ready to go, but it was announced that they were changing to Nankang for this year, so they had to clear out to replenish funds........ :smile: right place right time!

There were also a lot of guys using the Federal RSR's with very similar results as well....... no one with any real complaints from any of these, don't know if that helps much?

172 Cup
I just bought a set of NS2r, I was going to buy the 180 compound (medium) but was told by the supplier that they are designed for road use and the 120 soft tyres for track use and were very different. Got the soft in the end, worth a try for £212 a set.
£212 is very good the best I can see for the 120 compound is £65 a tyre but I will keep a look out, I will be using them as a track only tyre so they won't see the road at all so I guess soft would be worth a go just making sure I didn't do long stints on them

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I'd personally get the soft. Being 120 they will last longer than say the sg compound in the 888's.

£212 is very good the best I can see for the 120 compound is £65 a tyre but I will keep a look out, I will be using them as a track only tyre so they won't see the road at all so I guess soft would be worth a go just making sure I didn't do long stints on them

I bought two mediums a couple of weeks ago from Pneus for £104 delivered, the softs were the same price! They're not on the site at the moment but worth keeping an eye on if you're not in a hurry.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi mate, we were running R888's & A048's at Knockhill last year, with great success on both. We kept them at 30psi hot and had no issues with them, general consensus shared by most guys up there. As noted, check them when you get back into the paddock and adjust accordingly, generally down as they do rise when pushed. To be fair both performed really well, with the A048's being slightly better IMO, possibly due to side wall stiffness. Warm up pretty quickly and by halfway round the second lap fill you full of confidence, but just be mindful of your first quick (quicker) lap entering Duffus........... as noted by Tony, we had them as low as 19 cold and they were hotting 30 hot, but that was on a day with exceptional temps, noting Knockhill is usually graced by that ever so baltic breeze.....

You can get a good deal on the part worn A048's in 195/50/15's from the Mini Cup boys and they will last a good few track days for a fraction of the cost new, always subject to availability though!

This year i have managed to get a bulk buy on R888's from the BMW guys, they had all stocked at the end of last season and had them scrubbed up and ready to go, but it was announced that they were changing to Nankang for this year, so they had to clear out to replenish funds........ :smile: right place right time!

There were also a lot of guys using the Federal RSR's with very similar results as well....... no one with any real complaints from any of these, don't know if that helps much?
Want to sell some R888's? 😂

That's a fantastic help mate, good to get some track 'tailored' advice. Although I'll be running pilot sport 3's on my first outing on the 3rd April, but I'm assuming the same general rules still apply. Will hopefully get onto some track tyres soon after once I get my lines and stuff sorted and learn to drive the car properly! My only worry is about scrubbing the edges of the PS3's down since they wont nearly be as stiff sidewalls as on a track tyre, and I don't have any way of running extra camber on the car yet. May need to source some camber bolts sharpish.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I run the softs on road & track don't see a need for mediums.
Was doing 20 to 30 min stints at Silverstone with no problems.
Perfect on road if a little noisy, 23rd April Croft next :D

stumac

ClioSport Club Member
I got mine from tyreleader.co.uk
They come from Germany, the price changes every now and then though but they are normally pretty cheap.

Astra VXR NBG ED
I also have NS2-R in 120 compound. Couldn't fault them on a damp morning at oulton which then dried out.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Righty. Will be ordering some 16's to use all the time. I say all the time, gets driven once a week and is my track toy.

I'm finding it difficult not to try the nsr2's. Unless anyone else has tried something not mentioned. I can get a set from tyre leaders at £240, think delivery is included but will check.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Also looking at tyre leaders they do two options, normal and xl. Assume xl are the ones to buy

Cup In bits
Extra load rating, usually a stiffer wall. It's the better of the two form a stiffness point of view, I would take the XL if no price difference? Probably a noise difference?