ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trackday Insurance

So I'm doing a novice day (my first time on track) and my dad says I need insurance otherwise he will disown me...

So where do I go for trackday insurance for a 17 year old?

Seeing as though I'm in a 1.2 and its a novice day, surely there isnt much of a risk of damage etc.

Any cheap ones that you could recommend?

Budget of maybe £100... (got a quote of £80 for insurance but has a £1k excess!)

Lotus Elise
Greenlight on here seem pretty keen to offer track insurance, try them. I wouldn't bother personally if you have instruction and know yours and your cars limits you'll be fine.

Lotus Elise
Thanks for the very helpful comments! aha

sbridgey - true, but people would be less likely to go as fast and be as brave as a more experienced driver.

Make sure you book tuition you'll learn more in those few minutes of driving than you can imagine.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
or be hero's pushing their cars way past their limit because they think its safe on a track?
And not realise someone is overtaking and pull into them because they are too busy being a hero.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
All track day insurances will come with silly excesses. If the excess was £100, you'd be tempted to drive like it was GranTurismo and not give a fek. If your 20k track toy was wrecked, you'd be ok though. As your car's worth probably <£1k, what's the point ?!

It's not a requirement.

Lesson learnt tonight.. don't tell your parents everything ;)

All track day insurances will come with silly excesses. If the excess was £100, you'd be tempted to drive like it was GranTurismo and not give a fek. If your 20k track toy was wrecked, you'd be ok though. As your car's worth probably <£1k, what's the point ?!

It's not a requirement.

Lesson learnt tonight.. don't tell your parents everything ;)

Well ill try and get at least some cover, just so i can say i have insurance. I dont plan on doing any overtaking in a 1.2 so I'll just be checking all the time for people overtaking me :/

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've never done a trackday with insurance, no other reason that I'm experienced and by far one of the best drivers to have graced the Tarmac. On a serious note if you're really unsure get it, I never have, but that's just me

It doesn't really matter if the excess is more than the car is worth, what if it's not only your car that is damaged? You hit someone else's car or cause damage to the track/armco etc, I'm pretty sure that's not cheap to replace.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I used to use www.moris.co.uk before getting my policy with Greenlight. The insurance will only cover damage over £1000 so if your car is worth less than that it's not worth it as they won't pay out. You can insure your excess with Moris though so worth doing if it's worth more than a £1000.

It doesn't really matter if the excess is more than the car is worth, what if it's not only your car that is damaged? You hit someone else's car or cause damage to the track/armco etc, I'm pretty sure that's not cheap to replace.

It doesn't matter, you could write off a Ferrari and it's tough s**t, as you only pay for damage to your own vehicle.

itb182, 621bhp scoob

somebody has been been reading too many ring stories, its not a requirement bud for insurance, the rules of the road do not apply to trackdays and who's at blame or claim etc, you cover yourself against damage and no one else.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I used to use www.moris.co.uk before getting my policy with Greenlight. The insurance will only cover damage over £1000 so if your car is worth less than that it's not worth it as they won't pay out. You can insure your excess with Moris though so worth doing if it's worth more than a £1000.

It doesn't matter, you could write off a Ferrari and it's tough s**t, as you only pay for damage to your own vehicle.

Tim is right. I also use Moris.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Then that is the responsibility of the other vehicle owner to sort out. On track, you have no liability for damage to other people's cars, regardless of how it's caused. It's up to the individual to insure their own vehicle against unforeseen damage.

The OP's excess will likely be more than his car is worth, so in the event of a total loss, what exactly would his insurance company pay him?

172 Race Car
Lol, do you think people pull over to exchange details?. As said insurqnce only covers your own vehicle