ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tracking Question

Monaco Blue 172
I got 2 new tyres about a month ago, and got my tracking checked, the mechanic said it was spot on, but it seemed to be pulling to the left still, i went and got it re-checked today, at a different place, and they told me it was slightly out, retracked it etc...

now i always thought, if u let go of the steering wheel on a even road, then your car will go straight? mine still pulls to the left..

how ever, if i hold my steering wheel straight, it goes straight. if i let go it slightly tilts to the left and starts slowly going left....

is this because the tracking is out and making the steering wheel tilt to the left pulling the car left?

or is the tracking set up fine (as they use the clamp to hold the steering wheel straight when they do it) and there is maybe play in my steering rack (or something along that area) causing it to slightly fall to the left, which then makes the wheels offline?

i know this looks like an essay, and hope it is understandable.. it just bothers me

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i had the exact same problem, fitted 2 new tyres to the front, tracking was slightly out, had the tracking done 3 times with the proper new expensive equipment, still wasnt correct. Swapped my tyre/wheels front to rear and now i drives dead staright. Strange

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've allways wondered why swapping the wheels it would cure it. Someone please explain why lol

Dan.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i put it down to cheap tyres, i got some acceleras (£70 each) i wasnt going to be spending over £300 on a pair of tyres (235/35 19 ftl)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Really? Mines been tracked albeit by ats and it still doesnt drive straight. It's booked in to tdi north on Monday for alignment etc but will swap the wheels over anyway out of curiousity. The tyres are v12's, I wonder if people who have the same tyre have done this to solve the pulling issue, interesting.

Dan.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
To be honest with all the messing around adjusting my suspension for my trackday and getting a new driveshaft fitted I reckon my tracking is all over the show. Gonna swap the wheels anyway, im intrigued lol.

Dan.