ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trial fitted the brembos

Bolted the 197 brembos on today to see what spacers i need.

280mm setup with brackets from chris powell

Mintex 1144 pads
Green HEL lines
Stainless pins and R clips.

Just need 16mm spacers and stud conversion

Few pics.
IMAG1012.jpg
IMAG1013.jpg
IMAG1007.jpg
IMAG1011.jpg

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
@NorthloopCup

Looking at these pictures even with the 280mm brembo brackets the caliper still does not sweep the whole disc and it sticks out at the bottom like mine do. I take it this is the same with all renault 197/200/Meg225 calipers regardless of the disc size ?

IMG_0488%20copy.jpg

Brembo%20Clean%2001.jpg

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
As @MartinR says, it's all about the pad swept area. You'd need a bell and rotor setup of you didn't want the rusty unswept area around the disc. That's what I'll be doing on mine.

Perfect, Atleast i know that anyone using either 280 or 300mm set up with genuine Renault calipers will more than likely have this issue.

@NorthloopCup can you PM me whats involved in the Bell & Rotor set up please ?

P.S @MartinR calipers are looking nice BTW

Cheers marc

Tbf i hate that ring and have always done. Even with standatd calipers on most cars this happens but it seems alot larger on the 300 mm discs.

Bell and rotor is a great option but an expensive one just to eradicate a ring of rust. Although i do agree it rotors and bells look loads better

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Perfect, Atleast i know that anyone using either 280 or 300mm set up with genuine Renault calipers will more than likely have this issue.

@NorthloopCup can you PM me whats involved in the Bell & Rotor set up please ?

P.S @MartinR calipers are looking nice BTW
Yeah no problem mate. It'll be an easy way to wave good bye to £500 though! It may be cheaper if I'm having 2 sets machined up though.

Last edited:
Don't know about you but I'd definitely spend £1000 on bells/discs for absolutely no performance/cost gain whatsoever just to avoid a tiny spot on corrosion.

That 5mm ring of rust that's 50% hidden by the wheel spokes totally ruins the entire car. Hardly anyone will notice anyway and the rust is only there because you're using callipers/brackets that don't fit properly :nomouth:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Don't know about you but I'd definitely spend £1000 on bells/discs for absolutely no performance/cost gain whatsoever.

Car looks terrible with a 5mm ring of rust that's 50% hidden by the wheel spokes, hardly anyone will notice anyway and is only there because you're using callipers/brackets that don't fit properly :nomouth:
There is a weight reduction. Sold it to me! Lol

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
They look really good, top work.

@MarcR™ I had my brackets machined quite a bit, and this is as good as I can get the pad swept area. On 280s obviously. Pretty much the same as Martins but I don't get the "rusty ring". Snigger.

38f0c7c28d3f2167eeeb3197c53d7d0b.jpg

fd023556591d6c74826103e5874e7fd4.jpg

Oh, some proper fitting brackets! :) Improves the questionable amount of thread engagement on the stud/nut too.

There is a weight reduction. Sold it to me! Lol

And are you going to buy another set of springs & take 2 clicks off the damping to compensate for said reduction in unsprung mass? :wink: Or weld some mass back onto your lightened flywheel to retain uphill engine performance. Don't mind me.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
And are you going to buy another set of springs & take 2 clicks off the damping to compensate for said reduction in unsprung mass? :wink: Or weld some mass back onto your lightened flywheel to retain uphill engine performance. Don't mind me.
I'm already running softer front springs than is ideal, so I'm ok there! I couldn't think of anything worse though than removing the engine and box for the flywheel. Plus it would throw the entire bottom end balance out! Lol

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Calipers look great mate!! Loving the colours you've went for.

Really need to see someone that fits the 300mm discs..any takers?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Cool, I did think that. Space is very tight there..will it be the same on a cup turini then? I've been told they won't require machining. My heid is mince

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
So would it just be a case of 197 brembos and the brackets to fit under 15" wheels? Obviously spacers too.

It's just I see that some people sell calipers and say they're from 197/200. I presume they are the same. It's the megane calipers that bigger?

Master cylinder stays the same? I'm talking for a ph2, not ph1.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Cool, I did think that. Space is very tight there..will it be the same on a cup turini then? I've been told they won't require machining. My heid is mince
No spacers and a cup turini.
image.jpeg
You can't run wheel weights where the caliper runs though!

So would it just be a case of 197 brembos and the brackets to fit under 15" wheels? Obviously spacers too.

It's just I see that some people sell calipers and say they're from 197/200. I presume they are the same. It's the megane calipers that bigger?

Master cylinder stays the same? I'm talking for a ph2, not ph1.

Yeah your going to need a spacer mate. Not all 15's will fit so choose wisely. My 15" turinis wouldn't fit over @Cub. 's setup. Ever!!

197/200/225/230 brembos are all the same. 250's have a larger pad area and they're total overkill for a Clio though tbf.

Standard master cylinder will work, there's just a bit more travel, albeit nothing horrendous I'm led to believe.