ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy Advice - what to buy!

PH1 172
After being messed about for 14 weeks about my 197 (and still no car) i have decided to withdraw my deposit cut my losses and buy something second hand.

Let me give you my car history - owned a 172 cup and loved it - but couldnt insure it come renewal! best car i have driven so far and loved every minute of it.

Also owned and drove a 182 in LY with coils, fully modded etc - lovely car but was sold to fund the 197 (what a mistake in hind sight)

So now i was looking into cars like Megane 225, Leon Cupra R, Astra VXR - problem with all of these IMO is as a daily driver they will gussle fuel - and they are all bigger than the clio and i dont think i would get the satisified drive out of them as much as the clios!

so hot hatches - narrowed down to 04- Facelift CTR, drive lovely but everyone has one! and you have to drive the nuts off them to make them go, and no matter what everyone will regard you as a boy racer! So thats out.

Corsa VXR - def not :dead:

second hand 197 - possible but would always have that feeling i bought it cause i didnt get my new one, and the hassle etc i think i would be reminded of by buying one ....

SO - what to buy...

my 197 was Ultra Red, Cup Packs wit recaro seats....what other RS clio fulfills that role.

Of course! A Trophy.

Now for questions - am i going to be disappointed by a trophy? The 182 had Gaz coils :dead: so apart from on track were terrible! loved the way the 172 handled - so will the trophy impress me further or should i stick wit a 172 cup and H&R's?

It would probably be used for trackdays - so trophy or 172 with H&R's?

Any opinions etc much appreciated!

Ross

PH1 172
^^ big price difference TBH - and buying something that expensive at the minute you are BOUND to lose money!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I think i remember your LY 182, didn't it have 15'' anthracite speedlines on it?

I'd go for either a trophy, or a 172 with coilovers H&R or AST's.

Coming from a 182 on coilovers, would you want a car that sits as high as the trophy?

J

jbaddeley

There's a nice modified cup with H&Rs + schrick cams and loads of other bits for sale on here. I owned it for 2 years before buying an E46 M3. Brilliant car and when Performance Tuner drove it they recogned it was better than a Trophy. Considerably cheaper too. Good luck. The seller is Se7en.

if you were prepared to take the hit involved in buying a brand new 197, why not try and find a similar spec car second hand (avoiding that initial depreciation)?
sounds as though you've already done the 1*2 thing, having run a couple of modified ones, and had wanted to move on - would it happen again if you went back?

only you know what you want to do i guess, and those are just outside thoughts

Better than yours. C*nt.
The bigger hatches will use no more fuel than a 182...

Got to be a Mk5 GTi (Not edition 30 though, the bodykit looks naff!) - and it won't depreciate like a stone like any Renault!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Or a 1.5dCi Clio (used!) for about £5k and a Mk1 GTI - waaaaay more fun than any RenaultSport, and feels faster!

172 /megane cab
172 get a nice one for 4500 then stick a set of cams and h&r s and if i was you i would just be thinking of all the money you would of saved

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I know of two 08 GW cups B/S Recs £11.5K, but no AC??

197's on the 07/57 can be had for 10K with options & low miles.

A mint & they are getting rarer Trophy, £8-9K.

I was toying with a new Cup with options for 13K, but seeing as market is on it's knees & i have cash i'm playing a waiting game;)

MCS R56
Get a Trophy or Cup. 197 will guzzle fuel too, if that's one of you main issues.

Loving your Corsa VXR comment!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I love Corsa VXR's :S

I'd get a Trophy cause they're limited and you're not gonna loose as much money on them!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Trophy's are great, I loved mine. Best standard car I've ever driven. I do prefer my 172 on AST's, but it is a slightly harsher ride (but you have a choice of springs). For 8k, you could get a great 172, AST's, and better seats than the Trophy. Thats where my money would go.

Since you've owned 172/182s theres no point banging on about it being a very economical performance bargain they are at the moment compared to the other hatches you've mentioned.

You could go back to a 172 Cup/modded 172, however, if you didn't get the 182 Trophy, I think you'll always be left wondering "what if". Thats how I felt anyway and glad I went down the Trophy route and its not as if you can't modify a Trophy later when you have more funds.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Trophy. Get one while they are still good.

When the expensive sachs suspension kit packs up lower it with your uprated kit (and sell the original ones or get refurbed & sell)

Monaco RS Clio 172
I love my 172, but if I had the extra cash I know I wouldn't hesitate to buy a decent trophy :thumb:

they look excellent

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I love Corsa VXR's :S

I'd get a Trophy cause they're limited and you're not gonna loose as much money on them!

^^^ what he said, the corsa vxr's are a great little car, but the interior is just :headno: :dead: :quiet: :( :S fookin awful

Trophy FTMFW! :approve: