ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy depreciation proof?

Just a quick one guys,

Looking to buy a Trophy with 60,000 miles on the clock and is priced around £5000.

I'm looking to keep the car 12 months and then will sell it on.

I'll do in the region of 6000 miles maximum.

As the title really, would I lose anything?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't buy one for 5k just now. Be looking at 4.5.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I've seen one go a lot cheaper than that ;)

but overal, they do hold there value quite well.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i'd say any supposed decent ones below 4k will be rotters on the whole, unless you're very lucky.

I keep having thoughts about Trophys. Damn.

Do you think £5000 is overpriced then? I get the feeling it would still sell for £4500 in 12 months.

As knuckles said, they've been selling around that price for a good condition Trophy for a while now.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
They drop price the same as the 182 ff's. It's just they stay 1-2k above all the time but I can see that gap shrinking before long as the 182's bottom out and the Trophy's catch up.

You'll loose money.

I bought mine June '11 for £5k and sold it December '12 for Just under 4k. I spent well into the thousands on it as well.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Might be a tad high for £60k really.

Well, actually it depends on other impending costs ie belts and damper services.

S4 Avant
If you wanted a car for an investment, you're time was 3 years ago when a TVR T350C was £15/16,000

Now look at them.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I've got a customer that paid £2.8k for his. Exceptional example. They're worth what someone will pay and how badly you need to shift it at the end of the day

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Id assume that if you paid £5k now, you'd lose a grand on it. Spending £4k max is the way to limit your depreciation imho. They are worth £3k in bits, so nice ones wont drop too far below £4k i dont think.

Id assume that if you paid £5k now, you'd lose a grand on it. Spending £4k max is the way to limit your depreciation imho. They are worth £3k in bits, so nice ones wont drop too far below £4k i dont think.

Cheers Dave, problem is everyone I've looked at is £5000 or over that have had belts, damper refurb.

Would you think most that need belts and damper refurb would be near £4000, so I'm think after a grand sorting that out I'll be back to £5000!

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Anyone fitted the fancy suspension to a normal cup packed 182?

I need recaros too

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Nah, if ure patient good ones do come up, Jon G's went for <£4k and a Scottish polishing enthusiast also paid similar for one recently as well. Both had belts/dampers done and lots of other standard CS maintenance. Its if you have to rush to buy that prices go up.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looking at CT Dave I think a bit like Frp owners did, they're trying to get prices up.

It only takes 3 people when there are only 5 for sale to up their 70k model to 4.5-5k and everyone follows suit.

Just how the market works really.

Buy smart, negates any depreciation or struggle to sell on.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Mine sold for slightly more than I paid for it, but I had spent a bit on it. I just about broke even in the end.

A good, low mileage, example with all the work done is still worth upto £6k imo. I wouldn't buy another like that though, you know that every time you drive it it is losing money.

Trophy #276
Mine sold for slightly more than I paid for it, but I had spent a bit on it. I just about broke even in the end.

A good, low mileage, example with all the work done is still worth upto £6k imo. I wouldn't buy another like that though, you know that every time you drive it it is losing money.

Is that not true for ~90% of vehicles on the road though?