ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

trophy springs vs cooksport

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
the problem i have is every time i go over a speed bump it hits my catalyst converter.. its a bloody nightmare.

i was thinking of putting the normal springs back on to raise it slightly more but really dont want to ruin the handling.

What yous think?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I would imagine it handles better on the standard springs? Think Renault Sport knew what they were doing when they made the trophy.

Lowering a car with just lowering springs will have an adverse effect on handling (its different if you move the hard points as well). The improved centre of gravity is almost always outweighed by the adverse effect on roll centres and roll centre migration.

It won't look as good but it will handle and ride better.

BG Clio 182
the problem i have is every time i go over a speed bump it hits my catalyst converter.. its a bloody nightmare.

i was thinking of putting the normal springs back on to raise it slightly more but really dont want to ruin the handling.

What yous think?
What exhaust you got? Mine used to do that, mind mines a ff182 not a trophy but on cooksports. Cheaper better way is to get an uprated exhaust mount a beefy one and try that first. Lifted mine by a good 4 inches

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Im sure the standard OE eibach springs on the front and the cup rears are just as good as the cook sports.
Try looking at the centre exhaust hanger as it might be burst and the cat might be hanging low.

Renault have changed the hanger from a black rubber as shown to red.

!CCtedhQBGk~$(KGrHqYOKiYE0FRrFU7kBNMD6UOwZ!~~_35.jpg

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Are you sure the cat isn't sagging down at the join? Your car is still a fair bit higher than my ph1, and mines only just scrapes on bigger speedbumps.
100% sure it isn't sagging.

Im sure the standard OE eibach springs on the front and the cup rears are just as good as the cook sports.
Try looking at the centre exhaust hanger as it might be burst and the cat might be hanging low.

Renault have changed the hanger from a black rubber as shown to red.

!CCtedhQBGk~$(KGrHqYOKiYE0FRrFU7kBNMD6UOwZ!~~_35.jpg
I actually purchased one so have a new one line around so might change it for the sake of it.

What exhaust you got? Mine used to do that, mind mines a ff182 not a trophy but on cooksports. Cheaper better way is to get an uprated exhaust mount a beefy one and try that first. Lifted mine by a good 4 inches
I have a janspeed but the rest is pretty much standard

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Are you sure the cat isn't sagging down at the join? Your car is still a fair bit higher than my ph1, and mines only just scrapes on bigger speedbumps.
Yeah yours is alot lower, I need to get it on axles and have a look but ever speed bump I see I need to go over it on the middle or 1mph or my cat is gonna get smashed

Yeah yours is alot lower, I need to get it on axles and have a look but ever speed bump I see I need to go over it on the middle or 1mph or my cat is gonna get smashed
Mine was catching on speed bumps. Sat on cooksport 182 ff. It wasn't the cat though, it was the bolt/thread of the exhaust clamp pointing downwards. So cut the thread down flush and no more issues.

Probably not the same issue as yours but you never know! [emoji5]

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
When I go over the speed bumps at the Mrs house it'd like 3 separate bumps. Need to go over 2 at the same time. Every time I go over and hit it need to put gum gum back on my exhaust. Pain in the ass

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Try Eibach Sportlines. Lower than Trophy springs but slightly higher than Cooksports. Raise your exhaust too.
That might be an idea.

How would I check if I have spacers on my car. Looking through the paper work and it's had 3 wheel bearings replaced. Got a feeling it doesn't have spacers and it's killing the wheel bearing

BG Clio 182
That might be an idea.

How would I check if I have spacers on my car. Looking through the paper work and it's had 3 wheel bearings replaced. Got a feeling it doesn't have spacers and it's killing the wheel bearing
Wheel spacers do the opposite mate. Having them kills the bearings so to speak not, not having them. Having said that I don't think they do really and 3 wheel bearings in the life of a car isn't all that bad really?

Wheel spacers are a coloured disk between the wheel and the hub, if you look down onto your wheels there'll be a disc of unknown thickness before the wheel touches the car's hub

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Wheel spacers do the opposite mate. Having them kills the bearings so to speak not, not having them. Having said that I don't think they do really and 3 wheel bearings in the life of a car isn't all that bad really?

Wheel spacers are a coloured disk between the wheel and the hub, if you look down onto your wheels there'll be a disc of unknown thickness before the wheel touches the car's hub

He may mean the washers behind the rear disks? as far as I am aware these are a reason for bearings failing prematurely, however I'm not sure of a way to check them without whipping the disks off and checking.

BG Clio 182
He may mean the washers behind the rear disks? as far as I am aware these are a reason for bearings failing prematurely, however I'm not sure of a way to check them without whipping the disks off and checking.
Do you mean hub spacers? I thought these went behind the hub and didn't bother the wheel bearings?

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Do you mean hub spacers? I thought these went behind the hub and didn't bother the wheel bearings?
There's some little washers that sit behind the brake disks that sometimes get refered to as 'spacers' these usually get thrown away by accident and not replaced which can lead to premature wearing to the rear bearings, could be totally off the mark there then

BG Clio 182
There's some little washers that sit behind the brake disks that sometimes get refered to as 'spacers' these usually get thrown away by accident and not replaced which can lead to premature wearing to the rear bearings, could be totally off the mark there then
You'll be right mate, probably is this! Sounds right to me :)