ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Troublesome misfire after sitting for 3 months

172 MkII PhI
Last week I finally had the battery replaced in my Ph1 172 and had the wifey start it up. Low and behold, it had a terrible misfire. No power and sounded like a tractor. So I had my buddy replace the coil, leads, and spark plugs....no joy. Next he pulled off the fuel rail and saw that the number one and number three injectors weren't firing. Bought new injectors and had my buddy replace them. The number 1 cylinder is back operational, but the number 3 is still dead. It is getting fuel and spark, but is still dead. The next step is a compression/leak down check, hopefully I can get someone to do this today (still working overseas and trying to diagnose all of this over the phone) :'( Has anyone here had issues with collapsed lifters or stuck valves on these engines? I have been googling like crazy for the last few days and have not run into a single instance reported of these cars having stuck valves or collapsed lifters. And apparently there is an audible sound of air from the exhaust or something. Any ideas?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
had exactly the same after laying mine up for a few months. Was two injectors.

172 MkII PhI
Unfortunately I am not there to diagnose all of this myself, but a friend has been helping me out. I will have to ask about the electrical fault lamp. I know the SERV light was illuminated for a while, but I think that ended up going away. All four injectors have been replaced and are all firing and all four spark plugs are firing, so right now the only thing I can think right now is I had 2 failed injectors and a burnt valve gave up its ghost pretty much at the same time. As unlikely as that is. I am still waiting for someone to do a compression check/leak down for me.

Worst case scenario though, the head needs a refresh. Does anyone know roughly about how much I could expect a shop to charge to do that? If that does end up being the case, would it be better to just swap in a used motor?

I am trying to sort all this out before I get back so I don't have to deal with bumming rides until I can sort out my own.