ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tuning Results

I think we need more cases...people that have the mods (RR'd or opinions) need to comment! especially on 'is it worth the money..'
£170 for inlets circa £350 remap and nearly £600 (BTB as example) is alot of money...(well for me anyways!) so it would be nice to know if people who have it done think its worth it. I'm not saying the products aren't good...just think customers opinions are needed.

D

I have around 3.5k spent on my engine and soone to be another 1.5k.

Is it worth it? It is to me but I doubt if alot of people would feel the same. I would be happy with 225bhp after spending 5k. :eek: :eek:

Milltek'd 182
lol thats alot of money! Do you track it? or just for the road?
I suppose im looking for answers that arent going to come! i want a mod thats £100, gives me 300bhp and that insurance will never know about....think angelworks have got their work cut out! lol

lol thats alot of money! Do you track it? or just for the road?
I suppose im looking for answers that arent going to come! i want a mod thats £100, gives me 300bhp and that insurance will never know about....think angelworks have got their work cut out! lol

I dont track it, it has cost me too much money;)

How old are you? My insurance isnt to bad but I am 30. IMO get a set of coilovers and a loud exhaust it will go round corners like a go cart and will 'sound' like you have made it faster if nothing else :D

Milltek'd 182
im 20, and i my quote increased by £250 if i was to tell them about my inlets being done! the only reason i really want to mod my car...is to beat people who think they r all that in highly mod'd maxpower cars or ones that they think are 'fast' and piss on them :D
but if i had that much disposable income...im sure id have TB's or somethin similar sitting under my bonnet...one day!!

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
So how much is RR test? Might be worth doing it I reckon pre/post changes, that's if it's not all that expensive.

Rob669

Milltek'd 182
i heard somewhere on here about £50 for two?!?! but ive never had it done so dont know. im sure someone will answer though!

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
There pretty good gains IMO.

The engine already produces 90bhp/litre with good torque. Tweaking the map whether its a group n or a p murray map will get you better gains in driveability but peak gains will be small as the original map will already be optimum on full throttle and 5k rpm + revs.

I saw a thread on the williams clio forum where some foreign bloke had a throttle bodied engine that reved to something like 9000rpm! and had 240bhp. This would be a pretty hardcore engine that made all its its power 5krpm+

From what I have seen on this forum a 182 will make approx.

+5bhp with exhaust filter remap
+15bhp with that and cams
+40bhp with all the above and ITBs
+45bhp with higher compression

Thats for a car running road cams and peak power at around 6500rpm.

I hae seen people claim ridiculously high figures for there mods but they dont add up when you look at the big picture.

Fair play ja.jack for doing the back to back tests you cant really argue with the results can you?

i agree with mark there some of the figures that are flying around seem way over exagerated,people claiming close to 200bhp with simple mods 30bhp is a lot of power to find from an na engine that doesnt normally make standard power,ive got inlet,plenhum,exhaust,182 manifold,100cell cat,airfilter & group n and i think mine made 155atw corrected which worked out to 187atf i'll have to sort my graph out

There pretty good gains IMO.

The engine already produces 90bhp/litre with good torque. Tweaking the map whether its a group n or a p murray map will get you better gains in driveability but peak gains will be small as the original map will already be optimum on full throttle and 5k rpm + revs.

I saw a thread on the williams clio forum where some foreign bloke had a throttle bodied engine that reved to something like 9000rpm! and had 240bhp. This would be a pretty hardcore engine that made all its its power 5krpm+

From what I have seen on this forum a 182 will make approx.

+5bhp with exhaust filter remap
+15bhp with that and cams
+40bhp with all the above and ITBs
+45bhp with higher compression

Thats for a car running road cams and peak power at around 6500rpm.

I hae seen people claim ridiculously high figures for there mods but they dont add up when you look at the big picture.

Fair play ja.jack for doing the back to back tests you cant really argue with the results can you?

i agree with mark there some of the figures that are flying around seem way over exagerated,people claiming close to 200bhp with simple mods 30bhp is a lot of power to find from an na engine that doesnt normally make standard power,ive got inlet,plenhum,exhaust,182 manifold,100cell cat,airfilter & group n and i think mine made 155atw corrected which worked out to 187atf i'll have to sort my graph out

put the figures on my other thread if you dont mind Matty

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=195389

what sports cat have you got?

Milltek'd 182
good thread uve started there Mark, its going to be helpful to alot of people, including myself as to what to get done and what to expect.

Nice one ;)

D

I preffered my old car when I had viper, exhaust, cams, de-cat, manifold match and remap to itbs.

From viper, s/s exhaust, de-cat, cams, manifold match and remap I made 195bhp. Can't remember the torque.

With s/s exhaust, de-cat, cams, omex, jenvey itbs it made 218bhp

My cup is std bar an itg panel filter. I had my cup rolling roaded and it made 174bhp where other standard(ish) 172's were making 168-172 bhp on the same rollers on the same day.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I had my car re-mapped by pmurray at RS Tuning during the xmas break. But first.....

1. Fitted ITG panel filter
result = slightly better at high revs. No negative response. Thumbs up

2. Backbox fell off. Fitted powerflow stealth replica system. 2" bore system, front and rear silencers (puff) LOL
result = seemed like a loss of low down/mid range torque, however increase in smoothness at high revs + power at highrevs. Exhaust sounded like a wet f4rt round town, low revs, bit boomy.

3. RS Tuning re-map. Instant surge of low down and esp mid range torque (Laughable in comparison!!) smoothing in of the 5000rpm 'on cam' kick, and limiter raised to 7650rpm. I can now drive round one gear higher than before with same amount of 'pull'

To say i was happy with the RS tuning re-map was an understatement.

Was it worth £275? Yes I'd say it was, I had to spend £230 on the exhaust cos I didnt want to go the renault route (£400+) and was a bit disappointed.

The re-map has helped bring everything back in line.

I love my car again now - and don't want to sell it any more.

Personal opinion. If you've gone down the S/S exhaust route, it's worth re-mapping I'd say.

james

I had my car re-mapped by pmurray at RS Tuning during the xmas break. But first.....

1. Fitted ITG panel filter
result = slightly better at high revs. No negative response. Thumbs up

2. Backbox fell off. Fitted powerflow stealth replica system. 2" bore system, front and rear silencers (puff) LOL
result = seemed like a loss of low down/mid range torque, however increase in smoothness at high revs + power at highrevs. Exhaust sounded like a wet f4rt round town, low revs, bit boomy.

3. RS Tuning re-map. Instant surge of low down and esp mid range torque (Laughable in comparison!!) smoothing in of the 5000rpm 'on cam' kick, and limiter raised to 7650rpm. I can now drive round one gear higher than before with same amount of 'pull'

To say i was happy with the RS tuning re-map was an understatement.

Was it worth £275? Yes I'd say it was, I had to spend £230 on the exhaust cos I didnt want to go the renault route (£400+) and was a bit disappointed.

The re-map has helped bring everything back in line.

I love my car again now - and don't want to sell it any more.

Personal opinion. If you've gone down the S/S exhaust route, it's worth re-mapping I'd say.

james

it'll start feeling slower again in a couple of weeks as you'll be used to the power so get your wallet ready for a bashing.

IMO, what most people are forgetting to note is that there is a power ceiling.

you cant just keep pushing power on what is a horrible inlet manifold.

On stock cams your going to hit a wall at circa 190-ish simply because you have a capped timeframe for air to enter the cylinders, you can play around with ex manifolds from 172/182 but it wont majorly affect the ceiling limit.

The high power outputs which run the plenums have cams and headwork to push those last few bhp, but then you reach the limit of the actual plenum.

The cut and welded plenum i did took YONKS and capped itself at 215-217bhp, but the sacrifice was low down torque as you cant have both with a plenum.

So if you start with a 182, your already closer to the ceiling than you would be with a 172.

it'll affect the torque spread.

Peak torque will be moved up a few hundred rpm, but spread figures will still be slightly higher than stock. Problem is the space, which is why renault curled the manifold around the engine to get some length in, but if you want a straight runner you dont have much space to play with, so i have to play with pulse plates instead ala GT40.

M

mini-valver

Id like to get rid of the shite bag plastic inlet omine but talk to you about that sunday Ben. need to do something as its irritatingly slow....

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
For overall performance you also need to take into account how much the cars weigh, I'd imagine. So the 172 Ph1 and Cup gain a weight advantage over 182s in that area. Bhp/tonne I guess is what matters.

Cheers, Rob669