ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

turbo m3

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Look under the "hood" of that M3 notice anything ?

The USA version of the M3 is not the same one we have in Europe its a real pussy cat version. They never get the full performance cars that we do.
Even the original E30 M3 sold in the US had a 6 cyl. 325 engine in place of the 4 cylinder twin cam that won everything going on the track and forest in Europe before the homologation changed in favour of the turbo cars.

The USA version of the M3 is not the same one we have in Europe its a real pussy cat version. They never get the full performance cars that we do.
Even the original E30 M3 sold in the US had a 6 cyl. 325 engine in place of the 4 cylinder twin cam that won everything going on the track and forest in Europe before the homologation changed in favour of the turbo cars.

Never knew that^^^

I thought "around 275bhp" sounded low - are'nt M3's over 300bhp here?

CTR--VX220D
Engine regulations over there - thats why Lotus could not impliment the Rover Kseries over there, but could do so with the Yota.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5

Never knew that^^^

I thought "around 275bhp" sounded low - are'nt M3's over 300bhp here?

343 BHP just over 100 bhp per Ltr in standard form.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
To be fair to the guys he is talking wheels figures so 275bhp at the wheels isnt far off what I'd expect if I dyno'd one

I dont understand why you think that is relevant. All car specs are shown as engine output at the flywheel and as such this is regarded as a level playing field. We dont all have rolling roads in our garages at home. And we all know about transmission losses.

How may people on here have "Clio 172 / 137 at the wheels" badges on there cars. ?

I think Ralph actually has a fair point Brian. The guy was talking 'at the wheels' figures in the vid.

Well the hell do the yanks get such a pussy M3? Scooby's had 2.5litre engines in the US before UK models did IRRC

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
To be fair to the guys he is talking wheels figures so 275bhp at the wheels isnt far off what I'd expect if I dyno'd one

I dont understand why you think that is relevant. All car specs are shown as engine output at the flywheel and as such this is regarded as a level playing field. We dont all have rolling roads in our garages at home. And we all know about transmission losses.

How may people on here have "Clio 172 / 137 at the wheels" badges on there cars. ?

not relevant.

he said in the vid that the power figure was ATW not ATF.

and north america gets exactly the same mechanical spec e46 m3 as europe. the engine was developed to be complient with federal spec from the outset because of the problemswith the earlier M cars.

Turbos.
Yeah, they did.

I think the US Spec E43 has about 10bhp less, but bear in mind they use 91RON over there, so the engine is probably exactly the same, just the mapping is different.

Mental vid! I miss the sound of the that M3 engine!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Christ there thirsty enough as it is.
Whats a 500+ turbo m3 doing to the gallon

Oh yeh just noticed its in the usa so probably a tenner to fill it.lol

ian

Megane 225 Cup
oh yeah good point is that the jungle juice the americans use isnt as hardcore as the stuff we get neither.. so you dont get as good performance

Megane 225 Cup
oh yeah good point is that the jungle juice the americans use isnt as hardcore as the stuff we get neither.. so you dont get as good performance