ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo trouble

Morning! You guys might not no the answer as most of you run N/A i know but still woth a shot. Plus i know some people from the RTOC use the boards ( i will also post on there when i have sent my cheque of and can get back on the boards lol)

O.K last night i had some turbo trouble, i was not on gas and not really giving the car death, i put my foot down in 4th gear to overtake a lorry as i got infront my car juddered and felt as if it was going to die, i let of the accelerator and then pressed it again and it was fine. I was very low in fuel and was goin to a station anyway, so thought it may have been the low fuel. I filled up and off o went, as i got back on to the dual carriage way i put my foot down in 2nd gear and it boosted fine (up to 15psi @ manifold)and started to boost fine again in third, untill i hit around 4k, at this point it just hesitated and died again. It was fine again when i let of the accelerator and gently pressed it again.

It did sound as though i had a boost leak, but when i got home i had all boost hoses off from turbo to intercooler and then from intercooler to carb top (this is a 5 gtturbo engine by the way) and i could find no splits or leaks in any of them. This morning it was the same on the way to work, boosting 100% normally and fine in 1st and second, but then not in any other gear it will die shortly after i get into 3rd. Now if it was a boost leak (which i still think i can hear) i would not have thought it would affect the higer gears only like it is doing, plus the place i susspect it could be leaking from is a 4mm boost gauge pipe which seems to have been pulled of from the back of my clocks (i also would not have thought that would cause any noticeable ammount of boost loss)

Has any one any ideas, or does it sound as if my turbo has seen better days? There was no oil in any boost pipes, or the intercooler, or around the turbo.

Cheers Paul

Nissan R35 GT-R

Have a look at the wastegate actuator. There is a very thin hose that connects to this coming from either the inlet manifold, or just after the compressor housing. Does this have a split or any damage that may cause an intermittent problem?

Do you have a boost guage? When the hesitation happened was the car making any boost?

If boost shows intermittently, theres probably nothing wrong with the actual turbo itself. My guess is the wastegate or the actuator controlling it. Its probably best to get it checked by an expert though!

Boost is being held fine i htihnk, 15 psi at the manifold. I have not checked actuater. ill have a look tonight after work, shame im stuck hear all day.

I dont htink its the turbo really as when it boosted this morning it blew the turbo pipe off which i had not tightened enough. If yhe turbo wasnt producing boost right surely there would not have been enough preassure for it to knock the hose off?

Lionel Richie

Fuel pump, my mates went on his R5 GTT (it still worked, but the engine just couldnt rev much past 4000rpm)

Just a thought, im probably wrong though!!!!!

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc

Dirty fuel filter???

Same thing happened to my 306 d turbo when i was in 4th gear and trying to boot it.

Anymore detail?

Does it happen everytime you snap open the throttle?

Or is it jsut a random thing?

can you get over 4000rpm if you press the throttle gently?

It does sound like a wastegate problem, seems like it is opening too fast, alternatively, like fred says, it could be as simple as fuel starvation, which seams very feasable.

that problem ppl are saying with fuel filter... seems to relate to a sluggish pull in higher gears on my GTT atm.. i thought it was just the 1.4 engine being slow compared to the williams in power... but this brings a new equation to my mind ;)

lol mines flying in 1st and 2nd but then no hard acceleration after that, ill change my filter 2morra and also check the wastegate n stuff tonight

Sounds like a split boost or vacumn hose to me. The splits can be absolutely hairline and cant be easily seen. Got a mate whose hoses you could nick before shelling out? :)

Where you from? You the guy who just had it done at Euro Parts by any chance? Checked all boost hoses thoroughly and am convinced that there isnt a leak, plus they are also mostly stainless tubing to.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

Its a common problem with GTTs.

Partially blocked fuel filter or it could be the small microfilter on the fuel inlet pipe going into the carb.

Replace the fuel filter first. Cheap and easy and I bet you a YORKIE bar it will cure your problem.

Post the Yorkie to the usual address! LOL ;)

Bob RTE

what jets are you running on your carb mate are they standard seems like a fueling problem to me its not a boost leak i would consider taking your carb off and cleaning the feul jets in there think you will find your problem sorted then wont cost you a penny either

when you boost up does the boost go up fast and then seem to tail of to 15psi if it does you have a leek if it goes straight up its fine

its boosting fine, i dont think it will be the carb. I have a group A one and had it rebuilt about 3K ago at euro parts. I reckon it is something to do with the fule though as i was well low when it first happened, probaly piced some cack up from the bottom of the tank.

Quote: Originally posted by PaulRobo on 16 April 2003

Where you from? You the guy who just had it done at Euro Parts by any chance? Checked all boost hoses thoroughly and am convinced that there isnt a leak, plus they are also mostly stainless tubing to.
Yup, thats me. :)

i use optimax all the time, well 99% of the time.

How you getting on with yours Lowe? Just gotta get my brakes fitted and it should be able to stop as well as it goes (well at least when it wants to go lol) Not even had chance to use my nos properly yet. :mad:

Quote: Originally posted by PaulRobo on 17 April 2003

i use optimax all the time, well 99% of the time.

How you getting on with yours Lowe? Just gotta get my brakes fitted and it should be able to stop as well as it goes (well at least when it wants to go lol) Not even had chance to use my nos properly yet. :mad:

So far so good. Gonna change my brakes again.. Uprated RT ones just aint up to the job. Time for some 16v calipers.. already got the Brembo discs and pads on order. :)

As for your problem if its defo not the boost hoses then I guess it could be any number of fuel problems as the lads have suggested. If its reving OK when you take it gentle it suggests a problem with the second stage fueling on the carb to me. But I could be wrong, Ive only had my GTT lump for a month or so, so Im still learning about em. Heh

So what you running then? RT with a GTT and NOS? :eek:

RT with Gtt, group A carb dump valve 15 psi @ manifold zaust and nos.

Im gonna be putting the big disk conversion on mine, wel worth it of you have at least 15s.

it wasnt the filter so someone owes me a yorkie! lol

I changed the filter and that made no difference at all, just waiting for a new pump to arrive (should b 2morra) then im hopin that will cure the problem.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

The YORKIES in the post! :oops:

BUT! did you also check the micro filter in the fuel inlet pipe?

Just a thought before I post yer Yorkie!

Bob RTE

Clio 172 cup

PaulRobo, you will love the big disks on ya car as i had them on my Raider, got them from Rally Design and were well cheap compared to K-tecs kit

Ps have you got an ajustable timing sensor?

Clio 172 cup

An ajustable timing sensor is located on top of the flywheel, it enables you to r****d the firing spark, enabling you to increase the boost above standard, before pinking occurs, also you have to have this if you want to use just standard unleaded petrol

website is

http://www.raldes.co.ukwww.raldes.co.uk

You dont mean the TDC sensor do you? Small thing on top of the fly wheel that wires up to the ADI (is that right, ecu??)? If so then yeah i have on of them.

got one of them yeah. I have now changed everything i can think of to get the car running right, plugs, AI, carb has been taken off and cleaned twice, petrol pump and both filters and i still have no joy. W.T.F??