ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

turbo

Revels Mum & Sister

Dont bother mate

The amount it would cost on your Engine for the Performance Increase is not worth it

If you didnt want to suffer from major lag then would have to use a small turbo.

Better of buying a Valver Or similar mate! Doubt you would boost the power huge amounts!

you can put it on

wont produce much of a gain (120bhp ish????)

its not who can produce it, its who is prepared to take on such a job

mk2 172

charlie, did i read somewhere you were from welwyn gc or was that someone else?, anyways i was down there yesterday, saw a green clio with bodywork graphics and a diff zorst etc, clutching at straws here but you by anychance?

craggy

Quote: Originally posted by connor on 30 October 2003
wouldnt a supercharger see alot better results on a 1.2 16v?

nope, not even close, maybe 110bhp (high boost)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

probably be more reliable though, and a more progressive power delivery.

Mk2 Golf GTI

well i would say that 120bhp is quite a boost from 75! i was reading about some bloke who had a turbod 1.0 litre yaris, around 60bhp standard, and he was pushing 110bhp on the rollers.

but still, whats the point, for the same money drop a GTT lump in there

weighs less, more power, easily tunable

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Not only that i dont think people understand the way this works.

You simply cant just wack a turbo on or an s\c for that matter, its loads of work.

Plus you would need a new box 1.6 box should do it, as the std one is made of wet paper.

Better of with gtt engine or valver lump (now that would be cool)

Mk2 Golf GTI

that geezer with the yaris blew his gearbox actually but he ripped out the turbo and got it replaced on warranty! but still, a GTT lump is a consideration but im not too hot on the idea of putting a 15 year old, non power steering lump into a brand new car. plus its something different. Well i might try and ring a few of the big companies and see what they say. im in no rush as ill be waiting at least a year!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by spirez on 30 October 2003

that geezer with the yaris blew his gearbox actually but he ripped out the turbo and got it replaced on warranty! but still, a GTT lump is a consideration but im not too hot on the idea of putting a 15 year old, non power steering lump into a brand new car. plus its something different. Well i might try and ring a few of the big companies and see what they say. im in no rush as ill be waiting at least a year!

They will say "No, go away." "Please never phone us again" "What a waste of a turbo"

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

I toned it down.

Mate a bit of advice from tom (lol- usefull eh?) if you do decide to do this, the company that says "yes" will pull your pants down and shaft your ass.

in other words for a conversion you will be lokoing at over £4k - for what?? 45bhp

so youll be looking around £90 per bhp - which is a lot

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

plus the gearbox and brake upgrades needed.

sooo much easier to get a 1600cc engine and gain 35bhp for "free"

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

Cheaper to source a GTT engine, have it completly rebuilt and lob that in. If your that bothered about power steering, go to the gym

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

well has the 1.2 16v (not mine tho) has electric power steering its not an issue.

By the time youre talking £4k, you could buy, insure and run a GT Turbo or Clio 16V for the same money for a year!

Theres being individual... and theres being stupid! :D

im going to fit a go faster strip to my 1.2 16v. the guy selling them on ebay says I will see at least 500bhp. Im quite excited!

get a punto turbo,or 5 turb/16v you will cause yourself loads of greif if you try and do this and it wont be as fast as the above cos the above had time/money spent on design yours wont have.

Mk2 Golf GTI

Malice you dick head was their really any need for that? im sorry i dont know everything, please accept my apology oh holy one.

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 30 October 2003

By the time youre talking £4k, you could buy, insure and run a GT Turbo or Clio 16V for the same money for a year!

Theres being individual... and theres being stupid! :D
Someone like Frizzell insurance doesnt count a turbo as a payable modification.

Theres plenty of people here who want stuff on here..but never get.

Turboing a 1.2 clio isnt as hard as whats being said on this thread. Van Aaken have been doing it to small engined cars for a few years now (Ford Ka, Renault Twingo etc). However the gain is about 30bhp/30lbs/ft torque maximum (with about 0.3 bar of boost and no intercooler mind..). Now..if you let your imagination wander the clio with about 120bhp completely stripped out would be pretty nippy..however there are plenty of negatives to weigh it up against:

1.The Renault Clio is based on a 1.2 60bhp model and built to a tiny cost..it will never be a great performance hatch.

2.You will have warranty problems obviously..

3.Someone has to maintain it.

4.You have to be willing to throw money worth more than the car itself with the knowledge if it all goes wrong you can shrug it off as one of those things.

Id give you a pat on the back if you pulled it off mate..but i think we all know..youre not going to do it!

-Rob

Mk2 Golf GTI

well, who knows... Maybe by the time i come to look at this (at least a year or two) i could get a Megane RS transplant!! not sure if it would fit but is it the same 2.0T engine they are fitting into the new clio?

Mk2 Golf GTI

lol, i never want to be compared to a nova! But i wouldnt be surprised if someone like Torsion Tuning takes on this transplant for a customer in the next few years, suppose well just have to see what comes around. I definitely wont be doing a GTT conversion though

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 31 October 2003
it would be like the modern day Nova 2.0-Rob

i thik this is the main problem with clios now

attracting the max power lot, just like the novas did

Mk2 Golf GTI

nothing max power about an engine transplant:eek: Im not into big bodykits or anything but wouldnt mind a power hike in a couple of years as im not feeling the new clio and dont want 75bhp forever!