ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Type 1a tyres clio182 sprinting

koksracing

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Hi all,

I am doing a few msa sprints in my Clio 182 trophy this year and trying to work out the best tyres which meet type 1a! So basically any super soft standard track day tyres are a no-goer!

Reading various reviews I thought uniroyal rainsport 3's were ideal but lots of people complain about dry weather performance. The tyres will do a maximum of about 150 miles this year only on a track on my 15inch track wheels so normal road performance is not a consideration.

Any people have any experience or recommendations. I am tempted to go Dunlop or yoko ad08 but would welcome any insights

https://www.msauk.org/assets/2016tyrelists1abc.pdf

Thanks

Pete

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
AD08 (not the r) are the best 1a tyre for dry conditions by a mile
Pilot sport 3 or rain sport 3 for wets

I have a set for of the Ad08 in 195 50 15 with 6-7mm tread for sale due to not racing this season but due to rarity (no longer made) they aren't cheap, I'm looking for £220 for a set of 4 or £300 for 6

Brushwood69

ClioSport Club Member
I used the Maxxis Victra MA-Z1 (non drift) which was 1a for a season and a half which were great for road going class but everybody else was running 1b so I had to move to keep up. With the new road going class they may be worth a go much better than the T1rs

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I agree with Bash that AD08 are best dry tyre for the Clio.
I used them at Loton, Wigan, Anglesey and Prescott .
I used S drives on the front if it was wet.

Brushwood69

ClioSport Club Member
There is a new road going class which is a lot more strict and has to run road tyres and only allows safety mods to cars. It also has a new turbo multiplier of 1.7 against the rest as the classes which run a 1.4 multipler.

Definitely AD08s if you can find them are the best dry tyres, Rainsports are the best wets by a mile. If you can't find AD08s then the best 15" I found last year running in Combe Saloons (also 1A only) were Pilot Sport 3s

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I'd say AD08's are the best but are getting old now and as they no longer make them have moved onto PS3 but have not tried them at pace yet. I have a test planned on 9th march so hopefully they won't be to bad.

koksracing

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Great thanks all. I am doing the Clio cup with the Bristol motor club so no modifications are allowed beyond really air filter and exhaust. As there aim is to keep the costs down. Should be good fun and hopefully there will be a few Clio's entered... thanks pete

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
That'll be the standard class. It is fairly strict and loses some of the fun. They would have been better tightening the belt on road going class a bit rather than a new class that allows no modifications at all

koksracing

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
yesh but will help to keep a semi level playing field as after doing a few rounds of pbmw last year once you are into a full race trim, people find creative ways to get some extra performance.... all within the regs of course...

Will be interesting to see what people class as standard spec Renault Clio's.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Is this the Bristol motor club championship? I was interested but the mods I've got mean my car isn't eligible to score points. LLandow is a great sprint

Clio 172
I'm out in the Bristol MC Clio Cup Championship as well this year. This series is supposed to encourage newcomers to compete and provide competitive, low cost competition for more seasoned competitors. The more standard the better, as long as the cars are safe. The last thing we want is for costs to start to spiral as it would potentially exclude many competitors.

As well as the three Sprints there should have been two Autosolos as well. Autosolos are my forte so it was more than a shame when the first Autosolo was cancelled as Chepstow Race Course car parks weren't available. I'd already entered the Great Western Sprint at Castle Combe on 25th March but I can't say that I enjoy Sprints, too much hanging around, little driving and expensive for the time in the car. But at least I can use the Sprint towards the BTRDA Allrounders Championship. With all rounds now to count and the Sprint at LLandow clashing with a rally I'm committed to, I can't see me being at the front of the Championship. It could have been different with two Autosolos at the likes of Chepstow, a venue I really enjoy (apart from the gateways). I have a Targa rally the day after on 26th at Wethersfield so I can get back to my sideways roots on that event!

Back to the OP - PS3s all the way. They work great in the dry and wet, I was consistently quickest overall at the very wet Loughborough CC round of the BTRDA Autosolo Championship on the tarmac lake at Donington. It should rain more often! I'll have to try the RS3 on the Clio, they work well on a light road car and I use them as wets on stage rallies and for warmer 12 Car rallies. And they're really cheap! I wouldn't dream of using them on dry tarmac unless they were very worn. Even the XL versions have soft sidewalls so need more pressure to aid stability of the tyre.

I've used up all my old 1a AD08s. Any AD08 will be getting old and hard now, unless they've been stored very well. They were quick, but never felt that grippy. I was amazed when I saw my times as the runs felt so bad, they did work but never gave me good feedback. They were also appalling as soon as it rained anywhere in the country - it could rain 100 miles away and the grip would disappear! I've never known a tyre be so good in the dry but be so bad as soon as there was any form of precipitation. Chalk and cheese. Apparently the AD08-R is much better in the wet, but irrelevant as I can only use 1a tyres.

I just fit PS3s these days and don't think about it, apart from the tread depth. Having said that, I'll be using Bridgestones on the front at Castle Combe, they need to be finished off! Ross Autosolo this coming weekend at Mitcheldean where I'll be finishing off some of my remaining PE2s - in many respects the PE2 felt a better tyre than the PS3, but irrelevant now as they're not made any more. Looking forward to trying the PS4, assuming they'll be available in 15" one day.

A

Last edited: