ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre advice!

Audi A3
Hi all,

Its come time to change my front two tyres on the 172, but after trawling through reviews and suggestions on here im still none the wiser! IM tempted by p neros atm, currently have hankook ventus prime 2's fitted, il be doing a mixture of
motorway with some country roads daily. Want something that will last, is good in the dry/wet but can always be pushed hard when needed on the backroads.

it currently had proxes 4 on the back but they came near new on the car, not too sure on them after mixed views!

any advice welcomed!

Thanks
James

Audi A3
Not v12s only ventus prime 2's, looking at s 195/45/16 size,. No one local
has the hankooks in stock but need to beowse camskill, wanted to see peoples recommendations really.

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
using AD08s and i can't fault them
they are just so grippy and seem to be lasting good!

i noticed a big difference with wet grip, putting the foot flat to the floor in first (driving along with the wheels straight) and it refused to spin!
i was very impressed

also used them at the ring this year!

Last edited:
  PB Clio 172
I have the p zero's atm and I love them ! fantastic tyres

I went from the proxes 4's and its an improvement! you don't know how good a tyre is till you try it

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
using AD08s and i can't fault them
they are just so grippy and seem to be lasting good!

i noticed a big difference with wet grip, putting the foot flat to the floor in first (driving along with the wheels straight) and it refused to spin!
i was very impressed

also used them at the ring this year!

I wouldn't recommend using semi slicks at this time of year when travelling down B roads like the OP. Yeah they'll be epic in the dry and not too bad in the wet. But if they are travelling down greasy back roads, they won't be up to much.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I loved Pzeros on mine, had 4 fitted to my 182. I gave them proper abuse every day, the dry grip was superb as was the wet grip. My fronts lasted approx 13k miles and that included a 1/4 day where I done 16 runs. The rears still looked like new after that amount of time.

When I bought my gsi too, I fitted 4 straight to that aswell and they've been fantastic on that.

I tried PS3s and they were similar to the Pzeros in terms of performance but I found I wore them down a lot quicker so I took them off and sold them, I find they aren't worth the extra cost over the Pzeros.

LY FF182
I wouldn't recommend using semi slicks at this time of year when travelling down B roads like the OP. Yeah they'll be epic in the dry and not too bad in the wet. But if they are travelling down greasy back roads, they won't be up to much.

AD08 isn't a semi slick.. Plus I use 595's which are and they aren't that bad at this time of year!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
AD08 isn't a semi slick.. Plus I use 595's which are and they aren't that bad at this time of year!

Oh sorry, well a hybrid tyre then seen as its a cross between a track tyre and a road tyre. I've ran them myself and I have a 40 mile commute each day and 6 mile of that is down a greasy B road, they can become slippy when theres s**t all over the road and its cold! Hence recommending normal performance tyres over these.

Its all well and good saying you survived this time of year on them, I can say that myself, but theres no denying that a normal road tyre will offer more when its wet and cold.

If you want to go into a bush fit V12 evos, i would not recommend this tyre absolutely s**t ime. every time you turn the wheel its at the back of your mind whether its actually going to turn or go straight on!!

Also when wet its like driving on ice.

Up until a few weeks ago when some snoproxies went on I have ran nothing but V12's for 3 years, I travel in the region of 250-300 miles a week. Perfectly happy with them. Only ever had one proper 'moment' on them and that involved loads of diesel.
Great tyre for the money imo,

Clio 172
I've just had r ps3's on mine in a 205/45r16. Up to now they have been been good but have only had them on a week. I had proxie t1r on before and I had no confidence turning into corners but the Michelin's have restored the confidence on turn in.