ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre age code

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Wonder if someone can confirm the age of some tyres. I think they are 2002!!!!

My lad recently bought a 182 with two sets of wheels. We’ve sealed the tyre round so the best four are on the car. However the front of the car seams to pull left/right too much under acceleration. Some I thought they were over inflated, nope all fine.

Some while checking them over I noticed that even though all four tyres are eagle F1’s the front/tear have two different tread patterns.

The code on the fronts are DOT NDB7 2TW2 4502. I’m taking this that they were made on week 45 of 2002?

The rears are DMWE JN1R 4815. Week 48 of 2015?

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Bugger, wonder if they are the original tyres that the car came with.

Oh well, tyre shopping it is.

Bugger, wonder if they are the original tyres that the car came with.

Oh well, tyre shopping it is.
Not sure the Clio's come with GY from factory. Probably purchased part worn, 99% of people wouldn't even consider the age of a used tyre but its the first thing i look for buying part worn track rubber as i got stung with near 2 decade old Kumhos a few years back.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Not sure the Clio's come with GY from factory. Probably purchased part worn, 99% of people wouldn't even consider the age of a used tyre but its the first thing i look for buying part worn track rubber as i got stung with near 2 decade old Kumhos a few years back.
Cheers, I only looked because even my lad noticed that it wasn’t to happy to stay in a straight line when accelerating. So I took it out in the rain yesterday and that was fun (it’s not much better in the dry).

Will get them changed this week.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Just an update on this, I finally got to take the car out today with the new tyres (Nankang NS2) on and the difference is massive. No pulling left/right at all. Just goes to show even those the old tyres had loads of tread on them they were useless and dangerous.

It's crazy that the UK doesn't have an expiry law regarding tyres. Think of a spare wheel on an older car that's never been used. That tyre can look in A1 condition but the construction of the tyre will have degraded over the years which could lead to failure once under load.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Watched a Jay Leno YouTube video the other day were he drove someone’s Enzo. After a couple of miles he told the owner (who was sat in passenger seat) the tyres were old and he needed some new ones.

Old tyres are how accidents happen is how he put it to him.

It's crazy that the UK doesn't have an expiry law regarding tyres. Think of a spare wheel on an older car that's never been used. That tyre can look in A1 condition but the construction of the tyre will have degraded over the years which could lead to failure once under load.
Wasn't there that coach crash a few years ago, where the coach had 20+ year old tyres on it?

It slightly scares me that some people have so little understanding and interest in safety that they'd use such old tyres or buy crappy £30 no-name things with all the grip of steel-tipped shoe heels on metal manhole covers...

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
You see so many far with under inflated and/or bald tyres already. Getting people to consider tyre age will be impossible.

An age check should be added to the MOT. I was amazed that the ones we had didn’t have any cracks or signs of aging other than poor grip.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I had some uniroyals on my r5gtt a couple of years back, 2001 date stamp they were all over the place especially in the wet despite good tread. Put a set of new tyres on and the handling was transformed.

I personally wont run tyres more than 5 years old after that as they are ditchfinder territory regardless of brand. Got to be careful with cheap new tyres from overseas sometimes old date stamp.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Yep Vosa don't have the knackers to enforce it as you would have to prove they were likely to fail imminently

It may change to a fail in the future

I can understand personal family vehicles because, you know, personal responsibility and all that, but Public Service Vehicles that are carrying members of the public, who are relying on the vehicles' operators to get them to the end alive?? I don't see why it's not already prescribed.