ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre type confusion

Renault Clio Cup 172
Looking for new tyres and have been recommended to use Toyo TR1 - whats the difference between these and T1R or am i just getting it wrong?

You're just getting it confused :wink:

The vast majority of people on here will tell you that the T1R is a pretty poor choice. It is afterall only priced to be a low-end tyre. You'll probably get much more enjoyment out of your car (and not to mention probably more life, safety and less road noise) if you were to go for an mid-range/premium tyre. Common recommendations are:

Uniroyal Rainsport - Some people swear by these, others think they're too wet-weather focused to the point that they compromise dry weather performance too much
Hankook V12 Evo - a really popular choice over the last couple of years, seem to have fallen out of favour
Continental Contact Sport 3
Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric
Pirelli P-Zero GT
Michelin Pilot Sport

Nankang NS2, Yokohoma AD08r, Parada Spec 2 etc are often popular options in the summer or if the Clio is just a dry-weather toy, but get quite a bit of criticism for very fast wear and poor wet weather performance.

Tyres are really difficult to shop for to be honest. People have wildly varying opinions (I read a review last week where a Lotus Exige owner gave a very well known semi slick track tyre 1 out of 5 stars because they were "sh*t in the wet" - WTF does he expect?) and because tyres last so long people inevitably fit brand new tyres every 2 years and think they're the best/worst thing since sliced bread because they're comparing them to 12,000 mile old bald tyres last week.

Also people love to compare apples and bananas. What works well on a BMW 320d m-sport (rear wheel drive, really wide and low profile tyres, really soft suspension) doesn't necessarily work well on a Clio RS which is completely different in terms of design (front wheel drive, relatively narrow and high profile tyres in comparison, relatively firm suspension)

Last rant, but not least... These new tyre ratings (the A to F labels like the ones you see on washing machines etc) can be really misleading because they don't take into account the life of the tyre or the dry grip.

On reflection that was mainly a rant, dispersed with a summary of the 4938372838 tyre threads on CS :tongueout: I like tyres. A lot.

Last edited:
yeah, I think you have got a little confused there! Toyo make a tyre called T1-R, its been a popular budget choice for over a decade now. I think there are better performing tyres of more recent designs from the likes of Hankook and Uniroyal for similar money.

Renault Clio Cup 172
Cheers for the info steve, running 17's at the mo but gonna go back to std 172 cup 16 wheels - loved uniroyal rainsport on my alfa 75 (rwd) and they were full of grip in dry too.

Cheers for the info steve, running 17's at the mo but gonna go back to std 172 cup 16 wheels - loved uniroyal rainsport on my alfa 75 (rwd) and they were full of grip in dry too.

If you gave a more all-round premium tyre a go (e.g. the Michelin) I think you might be shocked at how "full of dry grip" a road tyre can be.

Of course I completely agree with myself though, by a freak of nature really important design characteristics such as the sidewall stiffness (a tyre is a big spring which needs to be tuned to match the suspension springs!) or the particular tyre pressure you had might have been a fantastic match to an Alfa 75. A bit like when you watch the F1 and a Williams goes really well on the soft compound but the Mercedes prefers the harder compound.

Last edited:
  Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Your driving style is a biggie. Even the premium tyres won't last five minutes if you scrub the crap out of your tyres every corner. Especially at tracks days if you use an armful of lock to try and kerb understeer rather than a bit of weight transfer when you can. My Berlingo 75PS works Van would destroy any tyre edge in less than 2000 miles if you drove it with any vigour.

Renault Clio Cup 172
Well after much deliberation i've gone fer the conti contact sport 3 from camskill - thanks again fer all the comments :)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Work for me on my Cup! Perfectly adequate for a smooth fast road style on track. Watch them on a hot day if you start going all time attack. The edges will suffer as it's not what they were designed for.