ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ultimate weight reduction

Williams 2
Have stripped most of my ph1, have removed loads from the car including air con/interior/chopped loom etc.

It got me thinking, how far have people gone on here in pursuit of losing weight from the car?

On top of the common interior binned/lightweight battery/etc?

Many.
I've not seen it happen on Clio's, but lots of vauxhalls I've seen caged, and then lots of metal removed in the hope for weightloss.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I've not seen it happen on Clio's, but lots of vauxhalls I've seen caged, and then lots of metal removed in the hope for weightloss.

Yep, I've done the same.
after removing all of the tar type sound deadening, including on the engine bay side of the bulkhead, I started cutting off every bracket within the car that would never be required again.
such as rear seat mounting and securing points, insides of the tailgate and doors etc.

Even taken the hole cutter to the inner rear panels and then finished it off with the swagging tool :)

Williams 2
Remember reading about one guy on here had his shell acid dipped I think it was to remove all the underseal/tar stuff from the bottom of his car - that's dedication.

Clio 172 Cup
Lightweight racing helmet for track days?

If you wanted to get real picky, remove the dash, rear badges, rear wiper, lightweight steel wheels, look for lightweight tyres, remove passenger seat, remove roof lining, front bulbs for racing during the day, I'm just listing randoms , etc?

RenaultSport 172
If I had a nickel for everytime i'd seen a fat CS'er with a stripped car, i'd be a f**king millionaire.

You do realise that that person would still be fat if they hadn't stripped the car. Therefore the whole package would be even heavier

330i. E30 Touring.
Lightweight racing helmet for track days?

If you wanted to get real picky, remove the dash, rear badges, rear wiper, lightweight steel wheels, look for lightweight tyres, remove passenger seat, remove roof lining, front bulbs for racing during the day, I'm just listing randoms , etc?

I laughed at front bulbs.

RenaultSport 172
I worked out that its roughly 15bhp per ton extra for every 100kg you lose
That's quite a good gain really

RS Clio 172 Cup
You do realise that that person would still be fat if they hadn't stripped the car. Therefore the whole package would be even heavier

Even fatter as all the above sounds like hard work. I'm sweating just reading it... then again I am a fat CS'er LOL

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Remove inner door skin, and the rest of the boot inner skin, Polocarbonate windows all round, and maybe fiberglass bonnet/ doors.

that's what ive done.
opening the tailgate it actually flex's a little now :eek:

Williams 2
Remove inner door skin, and the rest of the boot inner skin, Polocarbonate windows all round, and maybe fiberglass bonnet/ doors.

I am fitted a 6 point Safety Devices cage early Feb so need to get the weight down.

I will be going down the inner door and boot skin next. Not sure if I like the idea of fibreglass tailgate, the back end is probably too light as it is!

I thought the comment about how much you weigh yourself was a valid one. Seems weird to strip the car as much as you can etc etc and then not bother with doing the same thing yourself. Not saying you need to as I have no idea how much you weigh or what your build is but just thought it was still a valid point.
Anyway other then whats already been said I have no other suggestions so shall shut up

Michaelfoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clios
if you get the engine supported and remove the upper engine mount look down into the hole

there is a 17mm (i think) bolt

take that out and the big stupid weight will be removed (sitting below and infront of the mount)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
that's what ive done.
opening the tailgate it actually flex's a little now :eek:

I can't do much more to mine now without it needing a set of aerocathes :dapprove:

I will be going down the inner door and boot skin next. Not sure if I like the idea of fibreglass tailgate, the back end is probably too light as it is!

I have no intention of changing the tailgate to a fiberglass. Just the front doors.

Il bring the hole saws

Good stuff :)

182 ff
take it to the moon and race... if your car weights 1000 kg , on the moon only be 166kg,
leave your bulbs in,if you go to the dark side...