ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ultimate weight reduction

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Tbh I see where your coming from. It's a hobby and an interest to make the car lighter etc. apart from the windscreen stick with what you are doing imo.

Williams 2
Poly screen just seems a bad idea all over.. Can imagine it'd be hazy as f**k in no time with wipers being on. Then you'd get glare from the sun on the hazy bit. Nah.

Thank you...a decent comment against polycarb rather than the usual dribble on here.

330i. E30 Touring.
Aimed at me I presume?

Sorry if I offended you earlier because I pointed out just how much crap you were talking, but taking offense and making snide remarks on a forum is pathetic. Do you openly call people nobheads or do you dish out most of your abuse on this forum?

The end result now is that children like you contribute to the demise of what is supposed to be a chat between people interested in taking further weight from their cars with your pointless 'contribution'.

I would say thats evidence enough that you are in fact the monumental nobhead, both on here and most likely in real life.

No offence taken Princess.

If this conversation was down the pub, I'd still have the same view.

Chasing grams is utterly pointless for a trackday car, racing I can see the point of as time matters, but for trackdays, it's all about fun. It's about having a good day.

Ultimately, the only pointless contribution is your own efforts in slimming a car down, when you're 18stone or whatever you said. It's closing the stable door once the horse has raped you.

Chasing grams is utterly pointless for a trackday car, racing I can see the point of as time matters, but for trackdays, it's all about fun. It's about having a good day.

Ultimately, the only pointless contribution is your own efforts in slimming a car down, when you're 18stone or whatever you said. It's closing the stable door once the horse has raped you.

i would say fun on a track day means something different to all of us. some people are happy driving around a track at 50% of a cars capabilities and have a big smile on their face. other may like squeezing every last ounce out of their car on track and their talent. both are acceptible and both put smiles on faces. one mans meat is another mans poison. i personally see no point in going on a track if your driving lines are poor and your slow as hell in a m3 etc but loads of people do it.

we all have different ideas of fun i suppose.

Williams 2

I seriously doubt you would be as openly offensive in a pub to someone you didn't know. Or call a guy, that you also don't know, princess. Not just to me, but I bet not to most people. If you are, I'd suggest you're socially inept, and most probably don't get out much. I don't know many people who would let someone talk to them like that.

I'm not chasing grams. Don't exaggerate. I'm not talking about removing a bolt from the engine to save weight.

Track days are all about having fun yes. For some its about lap times, for some it is just for fun. But, for some people its in building and setting up the car. You don't seem to get this part. Whatever, your opinion doesn't matter. At all.

Could you kindly pollute another part of the forum with your opinions and mindless drivel so that we can get back on topic? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  Williams 2
Can I publicly apologise for not being an expert in lightweight clio's, a hero race car driver, or having the ultimate knowledge of the do's and don'ts of clio track tuning.

For some stupid reason, I thought the Cliosport forum would be a great place to start.

Cliosport is a good place to start buddy, you have had some suggestions.

But you and only you knows how far you want to go with your car, look up who/what uses poly windows and if your willing to take the chance then that's up to you to decide.

You may want to join some other forums and search lightweight track car, or something along them lines to get more ideas of how to lose weight.

I also race karts and have been for nearly 11 years, and my best advice is track/seat time.

Please also don't take this as disrespectful but if it's out an out performance your after and your 18 stone which people keep mentioning i'd suggest hitting the gym and getting not just physically fit but mentally fit.

Like I said only you know how far you want to go with it.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Fletch, are you happy to fit the aero catches tho?

Yes mate.

Also have H&R coilovers to go on which are apparently quite soft - not sure how well this will work with a stripped car? The car is up on 4 axle stands atm so no idea how it feels to drive yet!

I currently have H&R coilovers on my stripped 172, they're fine. I would do a couple of trackdays and see if you need/ want a stiffer set up.

Your plans sound good so far. If you are dedicated to losing weight, then I'm sure the more time you spend working on the car the more things you'll find to get rid of.

You seem to have covered most areas so far. Did you mention getting smaller light weight wheels?

After all that then you could look at a light weight fly and pulleys as already mentioned, not just for the weight but for the stress on the engine.

Maybe even changing the inlet manifold and going for something like an RS2 or ITBs, weight saving as well as power gain. But then things start to get expensive very quickly.

clio diesel
Once you have taken out the rear seats and spare Tyre, nothing else you take out will make much performance difference

After that you start removing tar and sound proofing and gain some more.

When that has gone, the only real other performance boosting weight loss is the front seats replaced with buckets and a carbon bonnet.

Most people dont realise that a standard car without spare and rear seats is probably lighter than most rally cars die to the heavy cages, extinguishers, 6 point harnesses and welding most rally cars have.

Martin off WC was the king of weight loss. Dash clocks hanging on wires and a seat made of straw.

Once you have taken out the rear seats and spare Tyre, nothing else you take out will make much performance difference

After that you start removing tar and sound proofing and gain some more.

When that has gone, the only real other performance boosting weight loss is the front seats replaced with buckets and a carbon bonnet.

Most people dont realise that a standard car without spare and rear seats is probably lighter than most rally cars die to the heavy cages, extinguishers, 6 point harnesses and welding most rally cars have.

Martin off WC was the king of weight loss. Dash clocks hanging on wires and a seat made of straw.

Lighter wheels, poly windows, lighter exhaust, it all makes a difference. I'm sure matey will be getting a cage at some point too so your point is moot. TBH 'Martin off WC' although I'm sure he's a nice enough guy, sounds like a pikey with a bodged car. Clocks hanging on wires and straw seats sounds like a rednecks idea of a race car.

Williams 2
I will if you send me £50 cash in the post.

Would take paypal, but having less money in your wallet will make your clio faster around a track.

Another gem from one of budgies boyfriends.

Could you not all all exchange witty remarks in private on a more relevant, off-topic part of the forum, or judging by your post counts, off the computer would be even better?

I'm sure Budgie and his internet mates are all just as brave off the computer as he is on it. That's what really makes me laugh. I'm sure you guys are all perfectly polite in person. Maybe we will see one day.

Anyway, thanks for completely f**king what was to be a fairly informative thread for some people, you and your buddy club are welcome to carry on making cliosport what it is unfortunately known for outside of your little bubble on here.

Shame as there are some decent guys on CS. Guys that don't need feel the need to be smug, opinionated arseholes to make up for their shortfalls in other areas of life.

Last edited:
Classic case of ask for advice then spit your dummy out at the negative.

Most likely just expecting people to gush over what a hero he is for buying titanium wheel bolts ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Another gem from one of budgies boyfriends.

Could you not all all exchange witty remarks in private on a more relevant, off-topic part of the forum, or judging by your post counts, off the computer would be even better?

Terribly sorry, i normally stay in the 'Other Marques' section of the forum. In fact, next time you ask a question about your golf, i wont be so helpful. With regards to the weight loss, yes, you will gain additional speed & adjustability, but without the correct suspension setup, you will lose speed as the springs/dampers of your H&R's will have been developed with a standard weight in mind. I've done the stripped thing btw:

DSC02290.jpg

As it happens, Budgie helped me build it, along with Nick172cup and a few others.

On the flipside however, i did considerably more trackdays (10 i think) in my more standard, non-stripped Trophy and had equal to, if not more fun. I spent a lot of time on track, whilst others were stripping the paint behind that thing in the boot next to the other thing off to save 0.5kgs. Utter waste of time. My H&R's (when they replaced the Sachs) also worked incredibly well as the weight of the car (& distribution) wasnt that much different to standard.

4-1.jpg

DSC04117.jpg

So yeah, take the light hearted banter from those that have been there, done that & got the t-shirt over the past 10 years in clio's as perhaps some decent advice. We've all seen 1 billion 'track builds' on here, and rather amusingly, its the standard(ish) cars that not only get the most use on track, but rather amusingly, they're normally the ones lapping everything whilst being driven by experienced old farts that spend their money on tuition/track days rather than spaffy shiny things to save a millionth of a kg.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
@7k , thats not expensive for a track car , and you won't get anywhere near the performance by throwing twice that @ a clio.

Exactly. A clio is a great cheap trackcar, but as soon as you start thinking about ploughing money into them, you might as well just buy something better/more suited to the role in the 1st place.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't think the OP was spending 14k on a clio?!? I didn't think he was spending much at all, I must have massively misread. If he is looking at spending that kind of money, then I'd definitely be spending it on a westie.

I wish I had 7k. Because then I'd have a Westie.

Williams 2
We seem to be getting back on topic now. Happy days.

Harvsurrey, I know there are plenty more capable cars out there, the problem I have is I recently bought a house, all the real money I had went into that.

That meant that I didn't have a lump of cash to buy a nice track car...my phase 1 cost me £800 about 3 months ago.

So far I've spent about £1000 on top, mostly second hand parts.

I found this money out of my salary, a bit every month, i'm not struggling and i've got a toy that I can have a bit of fun with on a budget. If I had 7k sitting around the car you linked would be great but i'm not in that position unfortunately!

I'm enjoying playing with the car and seeing how far I can take it on a budget. Hence me being on this forum asking questions!

Last edited:
Exactly. A clio is a great cheap trackcar, but as soon as you start thinking about ploughing money into them, you might as well just buy something better/more suited to the role in the 1st place.

And then you buy one of those and discover all the ultimate bits you need for that and then next thing you know you don't have a cheap track car anymore :cry:

View attachment 107770

but it was fun developing building and driving past caterham owners who always felt superior (just best not to tell them you had spent as much as they had :banghead: )