ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Understeer... Lots of understeer

Trophy #387
So I got into my car either Thursday 14th Feb or Tuesday 19th Feb (can't remember which) and it felt rotten, the wheel was all over the place with strange pull and it didn't feel nice, even at slow speeds (in rolling traffic)... I then had some horrific understeer later on in the journey where I accelerated away from a roundabout on a slight bend and the whole car pretty much refused to turn.

Since then on various corners to and from work I have been suffering from this issue. Literally to the point where I am having to crawl round corners to avoid losing control.

I have driven the car at high speeds and I know what the limit is, but this lack of grip is occurring way below that. It's actually at normal speeds, which is the concerning thing from my point of view as that is likely to mean there's other cars nearby that I could crash in to. Even in the 1.2 I never had handling issues.

I thought at first I may just have been going too fast but it's happened all too much for it to be anything other than a mechanical fault.

Tread looks fine on the tyres, pressures appear to all be fine (how far out would they have to be start messing with my grip??). Can anyone give me any advice as to why this is happening? I've got a feeling i'm going to be getting a hefty bill for whatever is the cause when it goes into the garage at the weekend.

Thanks guys,
J

182 Trophy #333
Sounds like dampers! Does it feel bouncier than usual? You could try pushing down on the damper, it should be pretty hard to move if there's nothing wrong, if its easy to move then ya got a problem!

WRX
Well the 14th was Valentine's so maybe your car felt all soft and sloppy. Also I think the 19th is St. Toein's day, patron saint of understeer. Sure it wasn't just road conditions, grease, mud,ice?

Lotus Elise
Make of tyre, pressures, leaked gas, leaked oil, organic driving device failure?

Last edited:
I think I got the exact opposite problem, Went around a corner and the back end kicked out big time, Car was litterally sideways, only took the corner at 20 ish.
I drive this road nearly everyday and this is the first time its happened, so unless the lowered rear springs made that made a difference or the road has been newly surfaced lol

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I think I got the exact opposite problem, Went around a corner and the back end kicked out big time, Car was litterally sideways, only took the corner at 20 ish.
I drive this road nearly everyday and this is the first time its happened, so unless the lowered rear springs made that made a difference or the road has been newly surfaced lol

Fucked rear dampers.

I lol'd at organic driving device failure

^Definitely something wrong there. I took a corner at 25 yesterday with no problems.

Yeah was a bit funny, didnt expect it what so ever! s**t my pants going un expectantly sideways lol
But today I was taking corners at 25-30 and hasn't been a problem, The corner might of been moist or somesort from a day or two before.
Was confused but seems to be fine now.