ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uneven tyre wear, Macpherson strut play?

R26
Hi guys,

looking at the MOT advisory notes from last September for my recently acquired 172 Cup it states:

Macpherson strut has slight movement at upper attachment (both O/S and N/S).

A guy from a local tyre garage immediately diagnosed it as being loose simply by bouncing up and down on the suspension, is this really a decent way to test it? I've read on various forums that this can be flagged up as an advisory or fail even when there is no real problem due to the tester not knowing the relevant tolerances? Any truth in this.

The reason I ask (and care) is because I noticed very very uneven wear on the front two tyres, the outer 3/4 was in very good condition with the inner 1/4 literally down to the wire. Could this be as a result of the play in the upper mount or more likely due to other issues (such as terrible wheel alignment). I've since put brand new tyres on the car but I am afraid to any real mileage on them because I don't want to ruin them again.

Any ideas appreciated!

R26
I've only had the car a few weeks so unfortunately no idea when the alignment was last done. I am intending on getting that done soon but I don't want to fork out for full Geo if its something else causing the uneven wear. Everything seems tight to me.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
The first thing i'd do is spend £20quid down your local tyre place for a wheel alignment,
it may just be that simple mate.

It's only £20quid and it will either eliminate the problem, or rule it out so you can look elsewhere.

R26
Just had tracking checked, apparently front toe out over 12mm, book figures are 1mm (+/-0.4mm). That'd be the problem then!!

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Haha good stuff, I had a feeling it might be an alignment issue,
I bet you're well please it was such a cheap and easy fix?