ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uniroyal Rainsport 3 or Yokohama S.Drive?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Right then, Yoko's went on today. Got to try them in the dry and the wet thanks to the unpredictability of the great British weather.

Initial thoughts - much more traction in the dry. Hardly surprising, the old tyres were some unbranded cheapo ones the previous owner slapped on. So accelerating hard from junctions or coming off roundabouts in 2nd there is a lot more traction now which is nice. As for cornering, they're decent, but nothing like my old AD08R's I had on my 1.2 (yes, really), these have decent grip but ultimately give in to understeer, whereas the AD08R's felt like you could lean on them on the limit a lot more, which is to be expected of course, but a comparison I have made nonetheless.

Wet, they still spin a bit through 2nd, but I think you can't really get around that. As for cornering I never push in the wet but they feel sure footed enough.

Overall they feel like a good road tyre, definitely happy with the purchase. Unfortunately I've been spoiled by the AD08R's I used to have, so as above some of those will be going on once I can buy those and the new wheels. Many things to sort before that though.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Any reason why do you think you cnat get AD08R's in 195/45/16?.

Ive been thinking of getting the s-drives soon,as i have Rainsport3's & not to keen on them.Side wall to soft & feel wobble if you get me.

Not many good tyres in 195/45/16 is there?.Only Rainsport3's/contisports/PS3's??

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Any reason why do you think you cnat get AD08R's in 195/45/16?.

Ive been thinking of getting the s-drives soon,as i have Rainsport3's & not to keen on them.Side wall to soft & feel wobble if you get me.

Not many good tyres in 195/45/16 is there?.Only Rainsport3's/contisports/PS3's??
It's not that mate, you can get them in 205/50/16, but I've always known I'd be getting 15's but I can't afford the wheels I want and those tyres all at once at the moment, so these are just a temporary measure because the old ones were bald.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I'd like to get a set of battered OZ F1's so I can run 195/50/15's as there's more choice and they're alot cheaper, it's just most people sell nice sets of F1's and i'd feel terrible curbing the sh*t out of them everyday.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I like 205/50/15's. If I mange to find a set of wheels that's what they will be.

My ado8's are very very good when warm

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
15's are just better full stop really. Think it's only styling which lead to the 16's, but I much prefer the functional look to the concept car look anyway so.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
@Niall Bit random but dont suppose you have any kind of close photos of your wheels with yoko's on do you please?,as im prob going to get a set for my cup nd would just like to see how they sit on the alloys?,i have turinis

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
@Niall Bit random but dont suppose you have any kind of close photos of your wheels with yoko's on do you please?,as im prob going to get a set for my cup nd would just like to see how they sit on the alloys?,i have turinis
Got some for you today mate. I think they look great, chunkier than a normal road tyre, more squared edges like the more serious tyres, tread pattern looks quite purposeful and aggressive too. I was surprised when mine went on how good they looked for very much a road tyre, look like a sort of half road tyre half semi-slick with the more squared edges etc.

33936602905_f86eb4598d_z.jpgBG
by Niall97, on Flickr

33551475570_aaefdc2277_z.jpgBG
by Niall97, on Flickr

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
How do they feel? What did you have on before?
Have a look up the thread mate, I gave my thoughts up there.

Pushed on with these and they're great; predictable, enough grip, don't feel soft or wallowy. Nothing like the AD08R's I had on my 1.2 but they're not meant to compete with those, these are a great sporty road tyre.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
They sound half decent then. I'm treading a thin line between wearing or my ps3's and getting my 15's refurbed and shod in ad08r. Might need a in between set our boots if this month's wage isn't as fat as I hope[emoji1]

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
They sound half decent then. I'm treading a thin line between wearing or my ps3's and getting my 15's refurbed and shod in ad08r. Might need a in between set our boots if this month's wage isn't as fat as I hope[emoji1]
Yeah these are a temporary measure before I go for 15"s and AD08Rs. Still very decent though, especially for the price. Would recommend them.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah i like them mate,there exactly what im looking for.A decent mid budget tyre and sits well on the wheel.

I take it there 195?

Im like you,im waiting for a set of 15inch alloys to next with the better yokos on.Prob looking to get the 2118's

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Coming up to needing a set of fronts myself, not sure on what to go for this time.
What's it got on the back? Providing they're decent I'd just get the same again for the sake of having matching rubber unless you're going to replace all four?
Yeah i like them mate,there exactly what im looking for.A decent mid budget tyre and sits well on the wheel.

I take it there 195?

Im like you,im waiting for a set of 15inch alloys to next with the better yokos on.Prob looking to get the 2118's
Yeah 195. Really can't look any further for the price on 16"s.

Yeah 15"s is the way to go on these, looks better once lowered, cheaper tyres and supposedly a slightly nicer drive.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
What's it got on the back? Providing they're decent I'd just get the same again for the sake of having matching rubber unless you're going to replace all four?

Continentals, f**k paying those prices lol. Goodyears up front at the minute but they're not far off the wear marker.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Continentals, f**k paying those prices lol. Goodyears up front at the minute but they're not far off the wear marker.
Can you not swap them round and have the Conti's on the front? Then again you probably want a good bit of tread after your experiences with aquaplaning to be fair, even just for peace of mind.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Can you not swap them round and have the Conti's on the front? Then again you probably want a good bit of tread after your experiences with aquaplaning to be fair, even just for peace of mind.

Haha yeah! Thats whats putting me off the Vorti, although tbf, no tyre would have handled that, it was going regardless. That's one of the reasons I was thinking RS3's. May give them a try, see how they last.

Plus, I do want to swap to some 18" cup wheels eventually so don't want to spend a fortune on a new set of 19's

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Haha yeah! Thats whats putting me off the Vorti, although tbf, no tyre would have handled that, it was going regardless. That's one of the reasons I was thinking RS3's. May give them a try, see how they last.
Yeah RS3s are a good choice! Brett has them on the front of the Astra and he hasn't ploughed into a hedge yet.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Well i bought 2 for this month then next 2 next month!.
Did you get XL ones?.as i did order XL but its not written on the tyre it just says reinforced?
IMG_0446.JPG

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Got the rears fitted the other day,will order the fronts near payday.
Im very impressed so far as they look so much better on the wheel than the rainsports.Fit the alloy just how I wanted & Handles much better now,more confidence in the corners.
IMG_0475.JPG

Oh and @Niall they are XL I emailed the company and they explained to me that they are as it has reinforced on the sidewall so all good.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
They look great on Turinis mate!

Was half tempted to get 2 more for mine purely for aesthetic reasons, might do depending on when I get my new wheels.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
@MrBlonde @Niall what pressure do you run in the s drives? I got a set last month and so far not impressed with the feel from them.. I've just bought some wheels with toyo proxes t1r on and I'm tempted to try those!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
@MrBlonde @Niall what pressure do you run in the s drives? I got a set last month and so far not impressed with the feel from them.. I've just bought some wheels with toyo proxes t1r on and I'm tempted to try those!
Just standard, so 32-30. Can't really compare since these are the only set of tyres I've had on this on the road, I don't have a problem with the feel though. What did you run previously?

T1R's are shite though I know that.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Just standard, so 32-30. Can't really compare since these are the only set of tyres I've had on this on the road, I don't have a problem with the feel though. What did you run previously?

T1R's are shite though I know that.
I had PS3's before but they were dead and didn't have funds to stick with them. I'll try tweaking the pressures a little see if that helps.