ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

URGENT! Help please. Car running super rough. Lambda/coil pack?

Seat Ibiza
the plug leads should have numbers on them which should match up with the numbers on the coil pack and dont forget number 1 spark plug is gearbox end! coolant temp sensor can also cause overfuelling

I know the problem has been sorted, well done mate. Glad its all done now!

But is the above statement true? I've always been taught number 1 cylinder is timing end??

Clio 1.2 16v
Nice one mate. Looks like you are on the right path now with it. Hopefully!!! My thinking was you should stick a new MAP in it as you will pay a hell of lot more for a diagnostic not to mention the hassle of getting the car there etc... Then they tell you - its your MAP sensor anyway!

Hopefully we are not jumping the gun and all will be ok with a new MAP in. Sometimes things are not that simple and more investigation will follow but its a logical path to follow in this case - given all you have done so far leading up to this.

Fingers crossed!!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
There he is! Yeah I wasn't sure whether to buy one this morning as the auto factors wanted £55 + VAT for one, so thought I could just be throwing money at another disappointment after the plugs/leads/coilpack, etc.
But I mentioned it to my mate and saw a video of a 106 GTi with a MAP sensor fault and it was nigh on identical. So I booked it in for a diagnosis tomorrow but told my mate to have a play with the sensor and I think he either disconnected it or bodged it together and he says it runs fine with the bodge!
New part ordered, plug it in Friday/Saturday. Unbelievable how such a small thing can cause such an issue! Thought my engine was gonna just chew itself up at one point the way it was sounding.

Nice one mate. Looks like you are on the right path now with it. Hopefully!!! My thinking was you should stick a new MAP in it as you will pay a hell of lot more for a diagnostic not to mention the hassle of getting the car there etc... Then they tell you - its your MAP sensor anyway!

Hopefully we are not jumping the gun and all will be ok with a new MAP in. Sometimes things are not that simple and more investigation will follow but its a logical path to follow in this case - given all you have done so far leading up to this.

Fingers crossed!!

Clio 1.2 16v
Yes mate. Engines these days are a ball of sensors and it really is amazing how a stupid resistor can make it sound like the engine is about to drop out of the car or throw a piston somewhere up into lunar orbit. Hopefully this will sort it but remember the proof is in the pudding so let us know the result on Fri/Sat.

Generally I do not advise people against carrying out full and proper diagnostics. In an ideal situation that is the first step that anyone should take given the extent of sensors on these engines. However, in your situation the steps you already took were very clear and given that the part is cheap it makes sense to go that direction as this part is currently ruled in as the most likely suspect. If problem persists after that will have to get it on CLIP.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
New MAP sensor on, car sorted! Probably improved MPG now too and got my new graphite turinis with new Yokos on and sprayed up engine bits! Sweet!

Cheers to Kev 3dr for lending me diagnostic plug in thing, lambda sensors all at a phonecall's notice.

Mickstoke for numerous parts again all at short notice.

Nemesis16v for the convincing gamble on the MAP sensor after all other causes failed.

Russ16v for my late night, last ditch online diagnosis.

Everyone else who chipped in on this thread.

And most importantly, my own personal grease monkey and all round top mate 'sticky dave'!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
What a pain in the ass that turned out to be mate. Glad you got it sorted in the end.

Wish cars were more simple without all these sensors lol.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
What a pain in the ass that turned out to be mate. Glad you got it sorted in the end.

Wish cars were more simple without all these sensors lol.

Pure pain in the ass mate! But great experience for someone like me who sits in front of a computer playing with numbers all day! My faith in RS's is restored, was only a £20 sensor after all.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah at least the parts you have changed should be good for now.

They are brilliant when they work properly. Like you im not the best with cars so when something goes wrong I don't know where to start most the time.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah at least the parts you have changed should be good for now.

They are brilliant when they work properly. Like you im not the best with cars so when something goes wrong I don't know where to start most the time.

Plus I love the theory behind it all, but I HATE getting my hands dirty - proper queg - I go through that swarfega stuff at his garage!

Now I know where the major offenders are and how to remove/refit, it's easier for me to have a go myself - Coolant temp sensor, knock sensor, crank position sensor, air temp sensor, MAP SENSOR!, etc, We tried everything eventually.

Glad its sorted mate, all part of the fun/pain of cars, I only know the small amount I do from fixing faults and servicing... and I love it :eek: (please nothing break on my car now I've said that)