ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

URL redirection

185lb/ft dCi
ok guys quick question

if i were to buy a .com domain name and point it to macetrix.eleven20.co.uk (my host) would all the pages be say website.com/file or would it resolve back to macetrix.eleven20.co.uk/file? because there would be no point buying a domain name and then it only working for the homepage.

any help appreciated :)
james

DMS

A thirsty 172
It would all resolve back to macetrix.eleven20.co.uk.
If you want to have www.website.com/file you would realistically need to either buy a hosting service that allows you to map your own domain name to it, or run your own web server and set up an A record called www that maps to its IP address.

Cupra
Some domain hosts allow you to create a frame around the site that you redirect to. It will keep your domain in the address bar, regardless of which page is shown.

Downside of doing that is that it will not show or get indexed properly in search engines.

As Andy says, you can do frame forwarding. Where it will display your new URL when on another website. But, it will show http://www.yournewdomain.com on every page, so if someone adds a page to favourites, it'll always link to the homepage.

185lb/ft dCi
Right so this is the problem with virtual domains then i'm guessing? as if my site was on a server by itself I could just redirect it to that ip address and all would be fine?

thanks for your help people

If you buy hosting, you just change the nameservers to point to the hosting server and it'll be sorted.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
^ Only if it is hosted on a dedicated server, or a virtual server with a unique IP, or if the hosting company is willing to add a virtual host entry for him.

Macester, What type of hosting do you have ?

Edit the nameservers of the domain to whatever the nameservers are of the server your hosting it on, then get the actual hosting account domain name changed to the dci domain name.
It looks s**t having a forwarding domain as you can still see the subdomain name in the task bar bit