ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using phone abroad.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Going away tomorrow.
Basically, i dont want to use my phone as a phone so to speak.
I just want to take pictures and use wifi in the villa we are staying in.
Obviously i dont want a huge bill when i get back so am i right in thinking if i set it to flight mode the whole time i am there, it will not do any facebook things or anything that will use data.
I was planning on sending texts and making calls through whatsapp whilst connectes to wifi.

Correct me if im wrong please.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Just turn your mobile data off in the settings. That way you'll still recieve normal text messages. Just don't answer any phone calls as they cost to receive.

I just got back from Barcelona and paid £2 per day whilst I was there and I could use all my data, messages and call time as normal with the O2 travel perk.

Very useful being able to get up maps or checking an address/tripadvisor/Google etc whilst out and about.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Didn't the charges all very recently change?

I was in Portugal for 5 days recently and my bill was only £10 more than it normally is. I used the c**t like a walkie talkie annaw.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Remember you need to give the network advance notice you are going abroad so they can switch you on. By default roaming is disabled on most contracts unless you ask.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I just got a text when I landed abroad saying do you want to blah blah for £3 per day.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Some of Vodafone's new price plans have inclusive texts, calls & data when you're roaming, it just gets deducted from the bundle with no additional fees.

All depends on your plan, provider and country you're visiting.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Thread hijack much you c***s!

Haha.
Im with vodafone. I dont want any texts or calls off people i dont want to speak to. (Is my work number aswell) so will jist put it into flight mode and use whatsapp i think.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
It's never really bothered me personally because I'm more than happy to just leave my phone at home when I'm on holiday.

2014 Clio 200t edc
if your on o2 turn voicemail off. they've just got me with charges for voicemail not listened to!!

iPhone?

As mentioned turn the data and roaming off and you can click Facebook, Safari and any app to your hearts content and it won't use your data. Connect with the hotel wifi and you'll be fine. When you leave the hotel and try to refresh a webpage or whatever then it will just fail to load like it will when you have no signal/wifi at home.

Don't worry about receiving calls or texts. Texts don't cost anything to receive. Calls would only cost you if you answer them.

I am with Vodafone and once made the mistake of allowing/not realising I was signed up to the traveller package of £5 (I think) a day. This meant that one 'got here safe' text message would cost me £5. What I needed to do was tell Vodafone to remove the package so I could 'pay as I go'.