ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

using touch up paint....

M140i/Orange 182
have got a few chips on the front now, even though they are not noticable i know they are there!

whats the best way to use the touch up paint from reno..preping. drying etc?

thankyou!

Tom

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=27

This might help . I touched up a small stone chip on my wing mirror , 100% better than it was , but if you look closely you can still see it slightly . Make sure the area is clean , no wax , polish etc . I washed the area with washing up liquid in a bowl of water , not recommended for paintwork normally i know cos it strips off wax but if you have any wax left on , the paint won't adhere . I didn't use the lacquer that comes with the renault touch up paint . I used 2000 grit wet n dry and Megs scratch X , unbelievable stuff :)

106 GTi
I never bother with the lacquer either and just use the base coat, wet sand and polish.

106 GTi
It's the guide mrbilly posted.

Rub down/sand the blob of touch up paint when dry with some very fine wet and dry.

Punto/Clio GTT
smell it, wont have any smell if its water based and it'll be alot thinner than normal paint.

also, put a bit on your finger and rinse it off, if it shifts it easy its water based, if not its normal.

106 GTi
Definatly not water based in the case of the Renault and Peugeot touch ups sticks I have here then.

Ta

BMW Z4 3.0i
Woah woah woah, R-Jay/Rich is unsure about something with respect to car detailing? I thought you were THE man!

106 GTi
GazCB said:
Woah woah woah, R-Jay/Rich is unsure about something with respect to car detailing? I thought you were THE man!

LOL Touch up paint is Touch up paint to me! :clown:

Octavia VRS
I have a Renault touch up stick in the car and was thinkling about using it on stonechips on the bonnet. Not sure if I want to use it tho as don't want to make it worse!

M140i/Orange 182
CHRIS172CUP said:
lol, I need a touch up bonnet lol, mine's fooked.

...and front bumper

...and rear

...and dent devils:S

arrr poor chris...:rasp: that cup at ware garage is still for sale! ;)

_Kenny_ said:
I have a Renault touch up stick in the car and was thinkling about using it on stonechips on the bonnet. Not sure if I want to use it tho as don't want to make it worse!

i went and bought a touch up from Renault today (snigger :eek: )

i'll be using the guide above next week, i'l take some before and after pictures to compare results :D

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I think the key to the touch up being a success is not to put too much paint on each time . Let it dry before the second , third coats etc.... build it up slowly so its slightly proud .

Octavia VRS
^ I've seen it mate but never used it. Don't know if I would be comfortable using it either tbh

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
_Kenny_ said:
Thanks for that Billy - good info there

No problem . The key is building the paint up slowly , leaving to dry between coats , taking your time with the wet sanding , not to apply too much pressure , let the wet n dry do the work ( i put a tiny amount of fairy liquid in the water ) also make sure you strip off any wax / polish etc ..... fairy liquid again .