ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V6 Vs V6

Clio 172 Phase 2
Is the later model clio V6 worth the extra money?

I know you get more BHP and better suspension, but is it worth the extra few £K's.

I'm thinking about trading ini my 172 (2002) for one.

No nonsense advice required and would be much appreciated.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
Must admit that I never really considered getting a Mk1 ... principally due to the Mk2s more predictable handling dynamics, stronger gearbox and other bits, and ultimately the power did come into it too. Also wanted 3 years warranty and so bought from new.

Mk1 owners will tell you that the car's reputation when it comes to the handling isn't deserved tho' and can definitely be improved with the right coilovers etc..

However, what you really need is an opinion from somebody who's owned both ... Dash had a Mk1 and currently has a Mk2. Also I thought steveV6 had a Mk1 before his 2 x Mk2s but can't see his Mk1 on the V6 register :S.

I think a lot of it comes down to how much you want to spend TBH ... you always get a buzz driving any Vee and you don't need to be driving at the limits of performance and handling to get that. Even driving to the shops in an experience :approve:.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I have driven a Mk1 and it was ok, the handling wasn't the best but it didn't take too long to get used to and as said above a decent set of coil overs and your away. I drove it when it first came out and just remember thinking that it was overpriced and under achieving. However a second hand one now would be a lot more reasonable on the pocket. and would possible sway my decision.

I have not driven a mk2 so cant comment on that, my advise would be to go and test drive a couple of each and see what you think!

MINI JCW
The V6 255 is suppose to be a much improved car in every area, and me personally I prefer the looks of the 255

Although this is just what I have read from the motoring press as I havent driven any of them

Clio v6
I certainly noticed the difference in power even though I had my doubts that I would notice a few more bhp.

MK 1 handling was spot on for me. MK 2 handling just as good cornering but I feel straight line at speed the MK 2 is a bit less intouch with the road. ( being sorted ).

some further reading

E91 M Sport
I owned a mk1, and have driven a mk2 (not hard!)...

From this I would say I'd go for a mk2 mainly on build quality / materials alone. The interior is a much nicer place to be.

The power is a bit higher, but so is the weight. Bit more top-end kick in the mk2, but nothing major.

The handling on the mk1 isn't very different from the mk2, but if you spend a lot of time near the limit, perhaps a mk2 is the sensible choice. Although I drove mine quite hard, and never had any problems with the handling :)

Mk1 is the more entertaining drive IMHO.

Mk2 is a tamed, all be it more powerful version.

Personally, I prefer the Mk2 and hence its what I own, but thats taking everything into consideration, not just power and handling.

My advice: have a test drive in both, then judge for your self!

V6 Clio
The extra power of the Mk2 is negated by its extra weight. Torque remains the same. The Mk2 is slighlty quicker because of better gearbox ratios and makes for a better driving experience, 1st gear is so low in the Mk1 it's unuseable unless you're pulling away. Handling will only be an issue if you want to thrash it down twisty roads which most people won't - in any car.
If you can afford the Mk2 and prefer the looks then go for it, if not the Mk1 will not disappoint you.
I have a Mk1 which has Mk2 subframe and suspension arms, KW coilovers with anti-roll bars and a Mk2 gearbox and more power than a Mk2.
As said above, the best way will be to drive both as we all want and expect different things.

Clio 172 Phase 2
thanks everyone for your opinions, think i'll just test drive them both and get a feel of them.