ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Venting crank case to atmosphere vs under vaccum for boosted cars

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
Ok well the standard system is under vaccum which helps with the emissions and obviously draws the oilly gas back into the inlet.
For turbo or super charged cars should you just vent to atmosphere (via a catch can or filter) or could you put in a 1 way valve and still run under vaccum?

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
What im trying to get at really is, should you retain the suction from the intake, or would venting into a catch can with no suction work fine on a boosted engine.
I was reading some posts about blow past at WOT saying that the vaccum / suction could help with keeping the presures down and avoid blow past on the rings.

But if the only real advantage is that it cuts down emssions but adds oily deposits back into the inlet then i think i can live with a breather or oil catch can :D

Cup In bits
Blank it, you don't want any excess pressure being fed back into the crankcase, vent the breather to atmosphere through a catch can or however you like.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
the small hole in the breather plate is there as a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) so works in the way you've suggested. You should block this hole with boost or it is basically just a leak, and can pressurise the breather system under boost

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Atmosphere every time for a boosted engine, the last thing you want is your octane rating getting lowered by oil in the intake charge.

If your rings are tired and its breathing heavily and you are worried about the tank filling up then return it to the sump instead, like we do on the group A cosworth engines (although a clio lump should NOT need this unless running ludicrous power).

Allan-

ClioSport Club Member
Ring's should be ok (12k since build) not getting any extra oil that i have noticed, it's running about 330 bhp just a breather filter atm i may have to invest in a catch can and actually keep a monitor of how much its breathing.
Any recomendations on what catch can to get ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It really doesnt matter TBH mate, its just a put really, but the Mocul one is a nice bit of kit if you can stomach the pricetag.

I normally use those but on my turbo I didnt have a space that suited it so its ended up on an ebay cheapy I pinched off a car I scrapped which happened to be a good shape for it!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Ring's should be ok (12k since build) not getting any extra oil that i have noticed, it's running about 330 bhp just a breather filter atm i may have to invest in a catch can and actually keep a monitor of how much its breathing.
Any recomendations on what catch can to get ?

get a tank with decent sized take-offs. the cheapest ones tend to have 8mm ones which are questionable and can cause pressure to back up. Ideally you want 12-16mm. Apart from that, it's just a container, but a sight glass is nice to have