ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very, very old track tyres...

Just tired to have a pair of Kumho V70a track tyres fitted to my track wheels and the tyre centre said we cant fit them as one is 15 & the other 17 years old which is fair enough, and I thanked them for looking at the manufacturers date as I stupidly didn't as one had never been used the other near new looking. Bought them back in November from a trader on eBay so trying to get my money back, which I doubt I will TBH. Thing is they look fine, they're a bit hard but no cracks or anything. They'd probably be fine but I just cant take the risk, crazy how people can flog stuff like this on eBay. The company is a Porsche parts outlet as well and has very good reviews, maybe they didn't realise either?

I'll see what they come back with as its such a grey area with use by dates on tyres, but 17 years is just ridiculous!

So be aware buying used tyres as they maybe older than you!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Funny you mention this as there's similar on M3cutters at the minute. Bloke had some "brand new" tyres fitted at a dealer, which turned out to be 5 years old

Funny you mention this as there's similar on M3cutters at the minute. Bloke had some "brand new" tyres fitted at a dealer, which turned out to be 5 years old
I could live with 5 years as the 'recommended' is 6 years but 17 years is madness.

Anyway as expected the seller has just come back and said 'sold as seen' in the listings as the manufacturing dates where on view to see the age of the tyres before purchase.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I could live with 5 years as the 'recommended' is 6 years but 17 years is madness.

Anyway as expected the seller has just come back and said 'sold as seen' in the listings as the manufacturing dates where on view to see the age of the tyres before purchase.
Well that's a bit poo mate!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Tyreleader sell old(er) tyres, that's why they're so cheap, got my RE050A off them - not bloody 17 year old tho!! That's ridiculous!!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I once ran at Goodwood in my 172 Cup with some very very old track tyres I'd bought secondhand and stored for a few years.

Halfway through session one I had to apply a small amount of lock to stay straight and by the end of the session I had a thump thump thump vibration from the front.

Looking at them when back in the pits revealed a bulge in the sidewall the size of half an apple...yet externally the rubber and wear gave no other signs or indications that the core carcass could or would fail.

Good luck with trying to get your money back!