ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

vibe optisound 8, anyone used,using or experienced one?

Renault clio rs 200
Ok so the mk3 200 whisper system is, lets be honest poor at best. and i would like to liven mine up a little bit without changing the head unit or speakers.
I suspect a little bit of bass could make all the difference but being a clio that makes space an issue.
so my interest has turned to one of these underseat units.
now before i spend any pennies (because im tight as a ducks arse) i wanted some reviews from any users or ex users or even friends of users.
Im not looking for car rattling bass (the car has enough rattles already) i just want something that will fill the blanks left behind by the standard system and enable me to turn the bass down on the standard speakers and stop stressing them out before i pop them.

Also if anyone has any other underseat recomendations im more than willing to listen.
Thanks.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
I've heard from friends that under seat subwoofer's are impressive. They allow you to feel the bass through the seat. Some people like this.
Not sure how they sound when they hit hard or at lower frequencies or what kind of 'boom' sound they give off.
Although my honest opinion would be to go with a decent 12" (be slim or not) into a custom made box so it doesn't eat up all your boot space.
The under seat sub box can never beat the sound produced from a box with a larger internal volume.

Renault clio rs 200
I've heard from friends that under seat subwoofer's are impressive. They allow you to feel the bass through the seat. Some people like this.
Not sure how they sound when they hit hard or at lower frequencies or what kind of 'boom' sound they give off.
Although my honest opinion would be to go with a decent 12" (be slim or not) into a custom made box so it doesn't eat up all your boot space.
The under seat sub box can never beat the sound produced from a box with a larger internal volume.
Interesting, thanks.
I may get one then because I'm not really looking for a boom, more of a gap filler.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Search for Alpine's SWE-1200, which a few folk have got, myself included.

Perfect fit in 182, not sure about a 200.

As for feeling the bass through the seat, what a load of BS (imo). It's not like it's an audio sex toy.

Go in with your eyes open and you'll be very pleased. If you expect window-bending levels of sub-bass, you'll be very disappointed. It does exactly what you want it to - fills a space.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Search for Alpine's SWE-1200, which a few folk have got, myself included.

Perfect fit in 182, not sure about a 200.

As for feeling the bass through the seat, what a load of BS (imo). It's not like it's an audio sex toy.

Go in with your eyes open and you'll be very pleased. If you expect window-bending levels of sub-bass, you'll be very disappointed. It does exactly what you want it to - fills a space.
I meant that when your subs in the boot, it has to be at a certain level for you to feel vibrations. Some people dont want to turn it up all the way. Mate of mine had it in his MX5

Listerine & Poledo
Underseat - Just fills out enough bass so you can stop trying to rattle speakers out of their housing. The vibrations give an impression of more basss than you're actually getting.
Basically, if you want better sound, but not to wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubwubbbbbbbbbbbbb everywhere (which ,really, you dont) then they're good.

I'm using a Kenwood version of the same deal in the MX5, but that's only because there's no sense in having a sub in the boot and passengers typically have legs

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I've got the alpine in mine and the really good thing about it is I can take all the bass away from the door speakers and still have a balanced sound. I really like it, was a bargain second hand too.

Listerine & Poledo
I've got the alpine in mine and the really good thing about it is I can take all the bass away from the door speakers and still have a balanced sound. I really like it, was a bargain second hand too.
exactly that.
Using just a decent head unit and an under-seat, the rest of the OEM kit is fine. Once you cut the lows from stock speakers they're genuinely quite decent. Sure, it wont win any awards but hey.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Absolute pain in the arse to wire up the positive feed in the 197's & 200's. I have the Vibe Optisound 8 that you're asking about. It's been sat in my garage for about a year brand new because I cannot be bothered with all the hassle it will take to get it wired up.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Absolute pain in the arse to wire up the positive feed in the 197's & 200's. I have the Vibe Optisound 8 that you're asking about. It's been sat in my garage for about a year brand new because I cannot be bothered with all the hassle it will take to get it wired up.
Give ya £20 for it x

Listerine & Poledo
no grommets or cable passthroughs on the front bulkhead?
Give ya £20 for it x
You had yourself there ;)

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
Nope. Both myself and Mike Woodford had a look and couldn't see any way through without drilling the bulkhead and putting your own grommet in. There may be a way but we certainly couldn't find one.
Ah! Mr Woodford, very good.

That is odd though, I would have imagined there would be SOMEWHERE that all the cables pass through from the engine bay that could be used.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
When can you collect?

Nope. Both myself and Mike Woodford had a look and couldn't see any way through without drilling the bulkhead and putting your own grommet in. There may be a way but we certainly couldn't find one.

I'm in London next week. Is Monday ok?