ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vibration/humming from the rear

Megane R26
I have a 03 172 cup, over the past few weeks I have noticed a vibration/humming sound from the rear that is getting gradually worse.

It first started making the noise at 27mph precisely, then it was at 27 mph and 45-47 mph, now it is happening almost all the time.

The noise itself is a vibration humming like noise. Its not a constant noise though, its more like a tapping noise, but instead of a knock its a hum. At 50mph its about 8 times a seconds, 30mph its half that. Quite hard to explain. I have tried to get a video but my phone's Mic sucks. Its not effected by engine revs, the gear Im in or any bumps or suspension travel. It is only effected by the speed Im travelling, the faster I go, the quicker the noise. It almost sounds like something that spins is a bit loose and is causing the noise. Unfortunately my mechanical knowledge is limited so I have no idea what's going on.

My car had an Mot and service at ktec last month so Im not sure what's going on as it passed with flying colours.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Megane R26
Thanks for the quick reply.

I will do some investigating. How much should this cost at a reputable garage?

Megane R26
The rear discs were replaced January 2011, surely they won't need to be replaced so soon again?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the quick reply.

I will do some investigating. How much should this cost at a reputable garage?

I took mine to dan at 519 and it was around £90 fitted that included parts and labour. I had a sticky rear caliper and front wing to be fitted and it all came to just over £150 all fitted and fixed.