ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VIC check - Bodywork damage

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
So my Clio has been in an accident (already written off once). The girl that hit the car made contact at the wing and then went down the door. Bump strip down on the door is crumpled. Wing is split, but should pop back together with some force.
Question is, if they write it off again (which is more than likely the case), would the car pass a VIC test with damaged bodywork? it doesn't crab when driving, nothing rubs etc
I know there will be "just get rid" comments - but after new drive shafts and a clutch that's one less than 500 miles, I've got money in it

CJM

A vic is a check of identity not of the quality of repairs. Aslong as you don't go cloning it you'll be fine.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
you have to make the effort to show repairs are being undertaken other wise the VI can refuse to inspect it,

mk1 Octavia VRS
My other car passed a VIC before the rear end damage was repaired. The tailgate still closed securely and nothing was protruding. I drove it to/from the test.

Couple of things I would look into before you take it to a VIC:
  • Whether you actually need to. Might only be necessary if/when you come to sell it.
  • If you're driving it to/from the test it needs to be roadworthy (nothing protruding/insecure)
If the car is un-repaired but still roadworthy then it shouldn't fail a VIC, if it's not roadworthy (protruding/loose bodywork) then it might be different.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Couple of things I would look into before you take it to a VIC:
  • Whether you actually need to. Might only be necessary if/when you come to sell it.

If the car needs a VIC check, then it will also need a fresh MOT once the check has been carried out.
If the car is seen to need a check (usually after a Cat C or insurance claim) then that takes effect immediately and is not deemed roadworthy until the check and MOT have been completed.

For OP, VIC is purely an ID check (Vehicle Identification Check)
The test centre actually print the certificates for the days bookings out that morning before they open (or atleast they did when I had mine done) if the car was a pass, you got your certificate and went on your way. I was booked in for 8:30am, but arrived 20 mins early and was gone by 8:25.

I asked the guy how they managed it so quickly, and he said they pre-print all the certificates, if the ID check matches, they send you off.
If the ID doesn't match up, then they stall you while they wait for the police to arrive

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
The car was written off about a year ago. I got rear ended. I bought the car back, got the boot floor fixed and took it for mot and booked a vic check. Then insured it again.
I was more concerned about the bodywork. Will get a picture to help

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
image.jpg1.jpg

image.jpg2.jpg

image.jpg3.jpg

mk1 Octavia VRS
If the car needs a VIC check, then it will also need a fresh MOT once the check has been carried out.
If the car is seen to need a check (usually after a Cat C or insurance claim) then that takes effect immediately and is not deemed roadworthy until the check and MOT have been completed.

Got a link to back up the bit in bold? I'm fairly sure I was told on good authority I didn't need to (but can't remember who by). I didn't get my car re-MOTed and it shows up with the original expiration date when I check it online.
Who deems a cat C/D car not roadworthy? It's not the VIC station. The insurance company can make it cat C/D but that doesn't necessarily make it un-roadworthy.
Edit: VIC station can issue a prohibition notice if they think the car is dangerous to drive, but then you'd have to be pretty silly to take a car to a VIC test in that condition driving it to the test or not.

@haimsey
Chassis looks a bit bent in the first pic :wink:
Joking aside - I'm pretty sure the loose trim on the side and smashed indicator would be MOT fails (therefore not roadworthy) so I'd fix those before taking it to a VIC. Has it got an in date MOT and do you plan on driving it to the VIC?

Last edited:
  MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Got a link to back up the bit in bold? I'm fairly sure I was told on good authority I didn't need to (but can't remember who by). I didn't get my car re-MOTed and it shows up with the original expiration date when I check it online.
Who deems a cat C/D car not roadworthy? It's not the VIC station. The insurance company can make it cat C/D but that doesn't necessarily make it un-roadworthy.

Not on hand I haven't, but I've had to go through the process twice myself, and a friend had it about 3 weeks ago when his 1.2 clio got rear ended.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
a quick google suggests that I'm neither right or wrong lol

Apparently it's the insurers who want a new MOT, but not all insurers, some will accept the original MOT, best if OP checks with his insurance company!

mk1 Octavia VRS
Not on hand I haven't, but I've had to go through the process twice myself, and a friend had it about 3 weeks ago when his 1.2 clio got rear ended.
I did a lot of googling and found conflicting information on forum posts. I wonder if it's a case of Chinese whispers or Internet myth but I would like to know just in case somehow the MOT on the car I've been driving round for the last 3 months is not valid. I suspect my car's MOT is valid, otherwise I'd have surely(?!) been notified that my MOT certificate was no longer valid and/or been issued a prohibition notice.

The Gov.uk site says this:
When you take your car for a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) test the following must apply:
  • the car must be roadworthy and able to be driven under its own power
  • the car must have a valid MOT if it needs one (if you’re driving it to the VICand it is over 3 years old)
  • the person driving the car must be insured
  • the car must have front and rear number plates (if you’re driving it to the test)

Doesn't say anything about needing a new MOT after the VIC.

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
no, as above ^^ it appears that certain insurance companies operate the fresh MOT policy, but not all.

Every days a school day!

mk1 Octavia VRS
a quick google suggests that I'm neither right or wrong lol

Apparently it's the insurers who want a new MOT, but not all insurers, some will accept the original MOT, best if OP checks with his insurance company!
Sounds reasonable - mine was MOTed a month before the crash. I told my insurers I was keeping the car, having it repaired myself and that it would be a cat C and they were fine, didn't even ask me when my last MOT was.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
@172_Tom the bent chassis comment caught me out then I was like "wtf no" 😅
When I got cat c status from its previous accident, I had to get a new mot.
I've been googling things, will the above not result in being a cat d? Not substantial damage (ie creased boot floor) but too expensive to repair. Cat D doesn't need a vic. Might be the silver lining