ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin Media or Sky

Lupo GTI
Thinking about taking out TV with one of the following companies.

We currently have broadband and phone with VM and I've been thinking about taking out the HD+ package from them.

But what's Sky like? I've never had Sky before. Anyone used both +HD services?

I am also looking at multi room, anyone used this service from either company?

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Sky+ is better for TV in my opinion, but Virgin's broadband is their best selling point, plus if you get all three packages, they give you a great discount, and don't charge you £5 a month for the box rental.

so Virgin, all day, every time.

VaVa
Every fibre of my being wants to hate Sky....

But it's f**king brilliant tbh. The Sky+HD box is probably one of the best bits of tech I've ever used tbh. And Sky Sports is probably the best in the world. And I love my sport lol :cool:

Never looked at Virgin as I can't get cable where I live, but I'd consider it for the uber-fast BB.

SQ5
Think about all the manufacturers that have to update there equipment every 3-4 months.

Nothing has ever changed for Sky, they've made 3 boxes Sky, Sky+ and Sky+HD (and the new 3D 1TB one) Clearly shows they are doing the right thing. I know there are different box versions/manufacturers, but the main thing is what you get, the simplicity of it and multiroom. Unsure if Virgin has multiroom?

Sky multi room is brilliant and a decent price for what you get.

Sky's EPG is the best thing ever created and the newer boxes on the HD service are super quick at navigating through it unlike the older HD boxes.

Overall it's a choice of if you want the best net access or the best TV. If your pretty close to the exchange and are on a Sky exchange then you will get 10mb+ on the broadband max package with unlimited downloads (truly unlimited none of this fair usage b****cks) and they don't f**k you over during peak hours. If you aren't close or on a Sky exchange and the net is more important then stay with Virgin.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I'd be tempted to wait a few months until Virgin release the Tivo 1TB box to see what it's like, if equipment is a big deciding factor. We have cable. Virgin do have multi room. Costs £5 for each additional box. There is not as much HD content just now, but the Sky channels are on the way as of August, plus Film 4HD. You get ESPN on the XL pack, which I think sets you back £9 on Sky. The on demand service is far superior to Anytime (?) on Sky from what I have read.

Customer service wise Virgin do get a bad rep, but I was on the phone last night and had my problem sorted in all of five minutes. So it's really luck of the draw I think.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
We've got Virgin, Can't fault it really, tis pricey if you want the Sky Sports Packs. Recently updated to the HD pack (this is practically standard kit now, they no longer make the older boxes) with an additional box upstairs.
We've only had one huge fault - Without internet and TV for a few days due to a regional fault. I wasn't at home so it didnt bother me!!

The best thing has got to be that its reliable. Always pushing close to the BB speed paid for, TV works, Phone works. We used to have Sky, cloud/snow and sometimes rain used to turn all the boxes mad. Not sure if thats changed.

Tesla MP3 2021
Until Virgin get Sky Sports and Movies in HD is Sky all the way for me.

Though Virgins 50MB Broadband is unbeatable.

Polo + Micra
sky would love to compete with virgin's on-demand service but can't without using internet bandwidth

virgin do a v+ service which only needs a single co-ax cable rather than sky's two.

the samsung virgin hd box is faster than the scientific atlanta box + i believe there is an extra tuner in the v+ boxes

FN2 Type R GT
My mum has sky at her house, cant really fault it, never slow never have any problems with it, its not HD granted but its still got all movies sports etc,

However at uni we've got the Virgin HD full package with 10 mb bb, prefer it all day everyday, on demand service is brilliant, sometimes a bit slow due to the older box we have but the new ones are supposedly very quick, Virgin also gives you the ability to watch one channel and record 2 others, sky only offers watch one record one! Broadband is always quick enough to download HD streams of anything, download multiple links etc. Virgin also has US channels on their on demand service, ability to watch shows etc whenever you want from US networks,

Of course Virgin doesnt quite have all the HD channels like sky, however are working hard to get as many as they can, espn hd for free is a nice bonus that sky users pay for, AND...although their current lowest broadband is 10mb it will soon be being upped to 20mb, at which point all 10 mb users get bumper up for free, as doing other tarriff users, each moving up as virgin go to 100mb fibre optic..

Essay over but should hopefully help you decide..

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
I've had Virgin + HD for about 6 months, got a Samsung box from them, never had a single issue, no slow menus or owt, theres not as many HD channels as Sky but for me its massively cheaper. I pay £33 a month for every channel, HD and V+ (excluding sport and film), 10 meg broadband and phone line. JUst moved house and Virgin came out with 3 days and installed and set everything up for nowt.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
FYI, Virgin now has all Sky Movie HD channels and Sky Sports 1&2 HD, plus a few other new channels taking their HD count up to 26 or 28. They are also cheaper on a comparable package from Sky, for now.

ford cougar 2.0 16v
virgin for broadband. its the fastest and you dont get a choke on the network when loads of people are surfing. although if you use alot of bandwidth they throttle you (cut your speed for a few hours)

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Only between 9-9 (during the day obv) but not on 50mb.

Plus I heard soon 20mb will be their min package, with all 10mb customers being ramped up for free. They're introducing 100mb. :cool:

182 ff
sky all the way had both for last 2 years , one at my flat other at misses

i pay 40 for everything never let me down once

she pays 60 lol , there boxes are s**t and well apart from the broadband which is rapid there crap

swings and roundabouts thou depends what u want from the supplier sky is better for sports etc

182 ff
FYI, Virgin now has all Sky Movie HD channels and Sky Sports 1&2 HD, plus a few other new channels taking their HD count up to 26 or 28. They are also cheaper on a comparable package from Sky, for now.

errr no there not
20 pounds just for sky sports !!!