ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vista 32Bit - RAM

Clio 182
Comparable most of the time but not quite there, certainly not "identical" imo.

It's gone XP > Vista 32-bit > Vista 64-bit.

Yes it was largely due to drivers, but regardless of the reason the performance still lacked.

Clio 182
My experience testing machines on the various platforms begs to differ...

That's alright, differing opinions are fine. I moderate a busy overclocking forum so I tend to see multiple different people with various problems and thus notice consistent themes/problems, this is just one i noticed many people complaining about.

2014 Focus Titanium
Its strange. I had a fresh install of vista 32 on my system and in everest memory benchmarks I was getting:

Read 8900
Write 7600
Copy 6600
Latency 58

Now I have just installed a fresh copy of x64 and my results are:

Read 9000
Write 7700
Copy 7600
Latency 57

Now im not fussed about the read/write/latency figures, because they have only fluctuated by about 100 which can be down to anything, but I find that the Copy result pretty astonishing tbh.

Better than yours. C*nt.
My experience testing machines on the various platforms begs to differ...

That's alright, differing opinions are fine. I moderate a busy overclocking forum so I tend to see multiple different people with various problems and thus notice consistent themes/problems, this is just one i noticed many people complaining about.

Anyone with an nVidia card will at some point whinge about Vista x64. I'm running 32-bit purely because I got bored of nvlddmkm crashes, however I have the SP1 RTM so will be installing x64 with this and testing.

cock mobile.
Well the new PC was delivered at 12 today so been on it just a few hours getting it set up.

Running like a dream so far :)

Doesn't "feel" like it need any more RAM at the mo tbh, although a new graphics card maybe on order in the future am gonna stick on 32bit as I can't see a real need for me to change!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

Anyone with an nVidia card will at some point whinge about Vista x64. I'm running 32-bit purely because I got bored of nvlddmkm crashes, however I have the SP1 RTM so will be installing x64 with this and testing.

Rubbish i'm running an nvidia and the 64bit drivers are fine.

Clio 182

Rubbish i'm running an nvidia and the 64bit drivers are fine.

You can rubbish it all you like, it used to be a factor... if it's not now then things have obviously caught up from a driver and performance perspective.

Last edited:
  BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
so whats the point about harping on about something thats no longer significant to anyone using the os? it's liek moaning that xp used to have tons of problems before sp2......well it doesn't now so who cares?

Clio 182
so whats the point about harping on about something thats no longer significant to anyone using the os? it's liek moaning that xp used to have tons of problems before sp2......well it doesn't now so who cares?

Who's harping on? Only one I see getting their knickers in a twist is you mate. All I said was it used to be a factor, if it's not then fine. :)

Better than yours. C*nt.

I used Vista x64 up until 3 weeks ago and got tired of the crashes - you have to get things JUST right otherwise it's tedious. Do you use DX10 games btw? As if you're using DX9 games you don't get the crashes. As said above I'll try again using SP1 RTM and 169.28.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
dude I use dx10 games all the time ive configured nothing the regular user wouldn't, perhaps your setup was just not working properly...

Clio 182
The threadfull of people on the Nvidia forum, plus the threadfull of people on OCUK forums, and Extreme Overclocking forums, OCfurums etc etc etc... Maybe they all just suck at computers, right? :D

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
perhaps you guys are installing the 32bit drivers? try using the 64 bit drivers instead of the 32bit ones, you can find them at www.nvidia.com hope this helps.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
ive got 4gb in mine, vista sees 3.5 gig-ish. The performance jump from 2gb to 4gb wasnt huge, but it was there.

cock mobile.
ive got 4gb in mine, vista sees 3.5 gig-ish. The performance jump from 2gb to 4gb wasnt huge, but it was there.

Stop spending money on computers and get a Cup :clown:

Think I'll give it a couple of weeks and get some extra memory (probably get 1Gb) and a decent graphics card.

Was running at 46% usage yesterday but will do some perfmon graphs on paging so that I know I can warrant the purchase :)

cock mobile.
Need a logon for that site mate ^

How does it compare to the 8800GT? That's the one I was considering although it's £40-£50 more....

Also how noisy are these cards, I defo want something quiet, or something I can happily turn the fan down on.

cock mobile.
"gaming performance was only 12% below the 8800 GT on average"

From that article ^

So basically for a good £40 less that seems like decent value plus it's a tad quieter and uses a tad less power also (need to be careful here only got a 350 PSU).

Which one of those two would you recommended then mate, and why?

Cheers :)

Clio 182
The peformance %'age difference varies foro review to review as usual, but it really is only a hair away. Out of those two i'd reccommend the cheapest... they're almost all made to a reference design, and the cheaper you get it then the less loss you'll make when sell it in whatever months time (if it's only to tide you over)!

Either way they're a bargain. :)

cock mobile.
Chances are I'll keep the card for sometime until it's pretty worthless anyway so not so worried about resale.

Will likely pick one of them up then after I make sure the power consumption is in line etc, cheers for the advice :)

Golf GTI PP Mk7

From that article ^

So basically for a good £40 less that seems like decent value plus it's a tad quieter and uses a tad less power also (need to be careful here only got a 350 PSU).

only a 350W psu? id upgrade that first, lol.

cock mobile.

From that article ^

only a 350W psu? id upgrade that first, lol.

It will be fine............. he says.

I'm lead to believe that the PSUs in these dells all actually quite good, which I find surprising, I'll find out soon enough.

Clio 182
The spec that matter on a PSU is the 12v rating... look at this and if it's above 25A then you should be ok for a 9600GT.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
does your psu even have pci express pwer supply? i had a dell and it didn't....?

Clio 182
However to anyone who does need ot buy a new PSU I can't reccommend any higher than this for the price/performance... the very highly rated Corsair HX520 with slim modular cabling http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=446788

Alternatively if you're on a real budget, th Corsair VX 450w will do the job admirably at £44 http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=644038

Best never to skimp on a PSU though... it's easily the most important yet most criminally overlooked components in your PC, the amount of people whp buy some cheapy no-name brand just because it advertises 600w watts of power and costs £20, only to find that in practise it's less powerful than a good branded 400w is insane, not to mention dangeorus.