ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VMware and live linux cd's

185lb/ft dCi
alright people i need to save some changes to a linux os im running through vmware. i have seen my lecturer do it but i'm stumped. i need to change the permissions so I can write to it, but obviously when i reboot from the original iso again and i will be back to square one. why would my lecturer tell us to use the live cd if I can't make changes to it! (task is to configure and recompile kernel then test it)

any help would be appreciated!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
What flavour of Linux is it ?

If your using vm, can't you just make the changes then save a snapshot of it ?

Last edited:

DMS

A thirsty 172
Save a snapshot. Can't remember where the option is on the menu, but shouldn't be hard to spot.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I can't guarantee it will work because i've never tried taking a snapshot of a live cd session.

Worth a try though. In my Vmware its VM/Snapshot/Take Snapshot

185lb/ft dCi
Well its a version called Masterkey(cheesy name I know) its my lecturers own version she created. Its to do with forensics and incident response, www.masterkeylinux.com if your bored.

The thing is to check that the kernel has been changed uname -r at console, the OS needs to be restarted so it can implement it. Thats the problem, If i restart it, everything will be reset to default and it wont save any changes when i need it to.

Also I have to hand in my virtual machine so she can check it.

I will have to ask her on wednesday see what she says, the only versions available on her website are the live cd and live usb, she told us to use the live cd. I haven't tested the live usb version, do you reckon that would let me write to the filesystem? I've had backtrack 3 on a live usb boot but I can't remember if that let me write to it.