ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vodafone increasing prices - cancel contract for free

Diesel Barge
Mines only going up 25p :/ How much are you spending atm for your monthly cost to increase by 10%??

Diesel Barge
But will the terms be changing? i'd of thought they would allow themselves slight price increases?

LY 182
Yeah mine is going up like 25p too I think. Can't see me being able to cancel the contract on the basis of that? Lol.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
the monthly line rental is part of the contract, if they raise it they have to give you the option to decline

Diesel Barge
11. Ending this agreement

a) Either you or us may end this agreement by giving the other 30 days’ notice in writing. Your notice must include your mobile number and the signature or appropriate security details of the account holder. You must pay the charges during the notice period.
b) You may end this agreement by writing to us if:
- we don’t do something fundamental that we should have done under this agreement (for example, if there is a complete failure of the network for 7 days in a row due to something we have done), within 7 days of you asking us in writing;
- we tell you that there will be an increase in the line-rental charge by more than the increase in the retail price index (worked out as a percentage) since the last line-rental increase and you write to us before the increase applies;
- we increase your charges in the UK which have the effect of increasing your total charges (based on your usage in the previous month) by more than 10% and you write to us before the increase applies; or
- we change this agreement to your significant disadvantage including changing or withdrawing services (we will tell you if this is the case) and you write to us within one month of us telling you about the change. This does not apply if the change or withdrawal relates to services which you can cancel without us ending this agreement.

How do you work out the RPI? I'm guessing 99% of people wont be able to leave.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I dont understand it? Forgive me for being dumb but does this allow any voda customer to cancel there contract for free? In currently paying £25 a month for 500 mins unlimited texts and a gig of internet.. Any advice?

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
So i literally put.. I would like to cancel my contract for free due to you guys being arses and increasing the prices blah blah i look forward to hearing from you ??

Also - Its not just the line rental going up. Its calls to 0800, 0845 etc. Also my picture messaging is going up by 7p (which I use) im going down the

"we increase your charges in the UK which have the effect of increasing your total charges (based on your usage in the previous month) by more than 10% and you write to us before the increase applies"

route.

Clio 172
Bleh I hardly use mine enough to cancel it because of these changes, I lowered my tariff around 3/4 months ago from £36p/m to £20.50 and I think that triggered the change over to the new charges. Unfortunately I think that this has excluded me from getting out now! My contract is due up in November anyhow so not so much of a problem for me!

Edit : Apparently the data charges (bundle) at £5 is changing. This is the info I got from VF Customer Service " The package for the first 500MB which you are getting will still cost £5.00 for 500MB. Currently, if you exceed your 500MB, you are charged £5.00 for another 500MB which has been reduced to 250MB."

Last edited:
  Diesel Barge
flol, new it wasnt as simple as that. Looks like i'm due to upgrade in december anyway, contracts not finished till june 2012 mind. Whats the catch with upgrading that early? Is it just your locked in again and you dont get as good of a deal as you would at the end of your contract?

Diesel Barge
Slightly more expensive to do the 190 day early upgrade, but you get it early so i suppose there is a benefit. Can only be done online though.

And does it add the new contract onto your current? or start again from that date? i.e. if i upgrade to a 18 month contract will my contract end date be in 2 years(6months + new contract)?

Listerine & Poledo
After Orange got screwed by its own tariff change alst year (or whenever it was) I can't imagine Voda getting it as wrong.

Unless you're dialing premium / 08 numbers all the time (and have a history of doing so) you'll struggle to convince them you're being substantially put out.

But yeah, send a letter, what's the worst that can happen

Clio 172
I've just given notice of cancellation, not because of the changes. Will be contract free as of 15th of October hopefully know more about the new iPhone by then! Paying £25 early termination fee though :dead:.

Clio 172
Yep due up end of November. It's worked out per day so decreases the closer you are to the end of your contract. I've been desperate for a new phone for about a year. The early upgrade deals were terrible (190 day ones) as well as the normal upgrades (90 days to go). The contracts offered as a new customer aren't great compared to a few sites doing them a fair bit cheaper. For example the Galaxy S2 is £36pm on Vodafone directly through their website and on Mobilephonesdirect its £26p/m similar story with the Blackberry Bold 9900.

Back on topic - it was pretty clear talking to the customer services advisor on live help they aren't as badly prepared as Orange were a few years ago. They checked my account and said that I wouldn't be affected explained all the changes in relation to my bill/tariff. Unless you trigger the clauses in your contract you wont be getting an easy way out. Many people got out of their orange contract because the wording in their contract allowed them and if the changes didn't directly affect their bill, they simply asked 'what if I went over?'. The answer given to them is that they would be charged more and so breached the terms. This option doesn't seem to work in this situation.

Last edited:
  Clio 172
Its increased by pence. That increase is not sufficient for you to cancel your contract. It needs to be as already stated by Cadab in post #13 a 10% increase overall, bare in mind my increase is something like 8p a month or its increased more than the RPI and I have no idea what that number is lol.

we tell you that there will be an increase in the line-rental charge by more than the increase in the retail price index (worked out as a percentage) since the last line-rental increase and you write to us before the increase applies;

Our legal team aint daft ;)

Clio 172
Well they shouldn't be daft as any losses incurred would be theirs to cover or contribute towards if it came to pass that it was poorly drafted. I hated my drafting exam during the LPC, it was a confidentiality agreement and you could fail for very very little.

Diesel Barge
It says RPI as a percentage and i think thats around 5% so the pennies they are increasing it by is no where near 5%.