ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water marks when washing?!

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Hey people,

Washed the car early yesterday evening (5pm ish) - usual process, hose down, 2 buckets with shampoo, hose down again then wipe down.

BUT the side that was in the sun had water marks on, particularly on the windows, and no matter what i did, the fu*kers wouldn't come off! I had a window cleaner spray on them, leathered them, rinsed them again etc etc! Sooooooo frustrating! The water marks on the bodywork did eventually come off, but made it very hard work!

The strange thing is i washed it the week before in the scorching heat, and the windows came up so clean you couldn't even see them, not a mark in sight! And the bodywork was a breeze to wipe up.

Anyone else had this problem?
Do you car detailing gurus now why this happens and best way to clean them off?

Cheers! ;)

RS 172
Water marks can be a right pain! It is just the water drying onto your paintwork. I've used SRP to get rid before now, should do the trick!

Inferno 182
I found a good solution to this only this week after the same happened to me.
Obviously, easiest thing is not to wash in direct sunlight but I found a very good product to get rid of water marks on windows, paintwork and plastic is turtle wax minute clean. Not sure where you can get it now but it is very effective and can be used on pretty much anything.
It's probably not something you will see recommended on detailing world but you can't argue with the results.

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Interesting, cheers guys..... was so annoying, they just wouldn't budge! Still, my arms had a good workout nonetheless!

What i couldn't understand was that the week before it was a scorcher, and i didn't have watermarks then!?

Although yesterday was the first time i'd used the hose, maybe that has something to do with it?....

16v Dynamique
Best way is to avoid washing in direct sunlight and try to do it early morning or evening, and try not let water sit on the car for too long by frequently rinsing the car.
Also try a spritz of QD on the panel before drying, and then a wipedown of the whole car with QD after.

You could also use a water filter which will virtually eradicate the problem completely, but they are anout £50.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
its what they are made for lol!! Dont need QD or anything. Just make sure its a good microfibre one :)

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Just use a good drying towel/chamois!!

+1

and some elbow grease

I do normally, and have no problem, but these watermarks were not shifting! And i can assure you that i put a sh*t load of elbow grease in too!

Never had this problem before but i think it was because i'd hosed the car down, covered it in water, then my phone rang and i was on the phone for about 20 minutes, came back and the windows had completely dried off that were in the sun.....

After that they weren't shifting! leather, microfibre, glass cleaner, everything lol! Arms are still aching now!

Lessen learned.... phone on silent, and in the bedroom from now on! ;)

Renault Clio 172 Ph 2
+1

and some elbow grease

I do normally, and have no problem, but these watermarks were not shifting! And i can assure you that i put a sh*t load of elbow grease in too!

Never had this problem before but i think it was because i'd hosed the car down, covered it in water, then my phone rang and i was on the phone for about 20 minutes, came back and the windows had completely dried off that were in the sun.....

After that they weren't shifting! leather, microfibre, glass cleaner, everything lol! Arms are still aching now!

Lessen learned.... phone on silent, and in the bedroom from now on! ;)

Please don't listen to the above (elbow grease is not the answer), you are only going to put swirls and marks into your paint work.

Dry your cars as you do then go over with a quick detailer and a micro fibre. If your still finding problems, a vehicle that has been clayed, then a good layer of wax or sealant will dry alot easier next time.

You will find the products and more indepth answers here:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/

Cheers John

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The problem was what you said, the sun baked the water on. If that happens again, just re wash the car if need be, problem solved :)

106 GTi
Ideally the best action is not to wash the car in direct bright sunlight when it is warm.

If you have to - Move the car round so you have the evens just part in the shade and wash the car in sections, drying them as you go before moving onto the next bit, rather then do the whole car.

Also make sure you sheet the water of with a open hose so it runs off and not etches in spots as it sits beading on the paint.

Get a water filter if you want a easy option of no water marks and no drying :)

Also as said a QD spray is a must, after washing a spitzing down will leave you car looking watermark free.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
I've tried many different towels and IMO the best is the miracle dryer:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/miracle-dryer-ultra-plush-25-x-36-/prod_362.html

In comparison to the der wunder (as posted above) I find it can keep drying the car longer (you'll be able to dry the car twice without having to wring it out) however it's not as easy to wring out as the der wunder. It's a couple of quid cheaper too.

As above, some QD will solve your problems. Use this diluted 1:1 with water:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-sprays/meguiars-last-touch/prod_225.html

If you're washing in the sun, just do a few panels at a time and then dry them off to stop the water marks from appearing in the first place.

clio cup 172
use this on the bodywork after washing and drying. Will make the paint shine as a bonus - it is like a watered down wax. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-sprays/clearkote-quikshine/prod_115.html It will get rid of watermarks.

and this is the best window cleaner on the market http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/stoner-invisible-glass/prod_363.html
will leave NO smearing at all. Awesome stuff.

and if you really fancy going for it get some of this http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/collinite-no-476s-super-doublecoat-auto-wax/prod_207.html
best low cost wax available and lasts months. Using the QD above will always keep your car shiny! The clean you car website has a great forum to inform you about the multiple levels on cleaning, preparing, polishing, sealing, waxing etc etc....

Gem

Racing Blue 182
The problem was what you said, the sun baked the water on. If that happens again, just re wash the car if need be, problem solved :)

Sun didn't bake the water on. Water is liquid therefore evaporates. What's left on the paint is particles and compounds/impurities dissolved and suspended in the water :p

(Sorry to be pedantic lol.)

Water marks are horrible, but I agree with the decent clay/wax solution. Hard work in the short term, bloody makes life easier next time round though. :)

106 GTi
Gem in the detailing section !?!

I would say geek in the making but after that reply geek already ;)

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF

Sun didn't bake the water on. Water is liquid therefore evaporates. What's left on the paint is particles and compounds/impurities dissolved and suspended in the water :p

(Sorry to be pedantic lol.)

Water marks are horrible, but I agree with the decent clay/wax solution. Hard work in the short term, bloody makes life easier next time round though. :)

Brings back memories of A Level Chemistry!...;)

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Good skills, thanks for the replies guys and girl...
So, to stop these blo*dy water marks in the future, i'm going to get on the waxing, but I don't know what to buy... so many links and different products... Rich has already recommended me some decent gear, but where do you guys buy from? i4detailing any good? And what is the best applicator for wax, cloth or pad? As for QD, any particular brand that is everyones favoured choice?....

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Ideally the best action is not to wash the car in direct bright sunlight when it is warm.

If you have to - Move the car round so you have the evens just part in the shade and wash the car in sections, drying them as you go before moving onto the next bit, rather then do the whole car.

Also make sure you sheet the water of with a open hose so it runs off and not etches in spots as it sits beading on the paint.

Also as said a QD spray is a must, after washing a spitzing down will leave you car looking watermark free.

Water filter?.... do people actually have these to wash the car?! That is serious car love, heard they are uber pricey?!...

106 GTi
Good skills, thanks for the replies guys and girl...
So, to stop these blo*dy water marks in the future, i'm going to get on the waxing, but I don't know what to buy... so many links and different products... Rich has already recommended me some decent gear, but where do you guys buy from? i4detailing any good? And what is the best applicator for wax, cloth or pad? As for QD, any particular brand that is everyones favoured choice?....

There will not be one preferred choice of brand you will find most people mix and match.

I apply most products with those cheap yellow foam hand pads and remove with microfiber.

Other good sites worth a look:

www.cleanyourcar.co.uk
www.motorgeek.co.uk
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
www.seriousperformance.co.uk

106 GTi

Water filter?.... do people actually have these to wash the car?! That is serious car love, heard they are uber pricey?!...

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/Store/Product/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=117

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Cool, will have to do some research then and get some gear.... car cleaning is so addictive once you start!...