ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water Pump - Change with cambelt?

As titled..... oil leak from cam seals = new cambelt :mad:

Should I replace water pump at same time or are these strong? De-phaser being done, car is on 94k

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
From what I've read on CS, the water pumps tend to be pretty strong. That said, my 182 is just a bit higher mileage than yours and if I was having the cambelt done again, I think I'd factor in a new water pump too. Just for peace of mind, rather than anything else.

D.

Inferno Orange 182
As the cam belt is a big job to begin with I'd want everything to do with it sorted at the same time to save it needing doing again.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
water pump is not related to the cambelt. leave it alone, it's not a cambelt off job to change it if it does fail.
PAS pump the same, leave it alone until it becomes an issue

As Dan said above its not got anything to do with the timing belt.. yes they are meant to be pretty strong but mine wasn't lol only lasted 60k and the bearing failed in it!!

Had the car checked out and was diagnosed with a faulty dephaser (which had recently been changed) or failed rocker in the cylinder head !!

So remember if you have a noise don't jump straight on the dephaser band wagon...As a failed waterpump resonates the sound upto the the dephaser area which can lead to mis diagnosis.. and a large bill.;)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
So remember if you have a noise don't jump straight on the dephaser band wagon...As a failed waterpump resonates the sound upto the the dephaser area which can lead to mis diagnosis.. and a large bill.;)

lesson to learn there is don't try to diagnose over the internet ;) Have it looked at

De-phaser is gone chaps, Paul ddiagnosed it last time was over there, and since discovered leaky cam seals... work needs doing. Thanks for answering my questions though :)

RB 182
On the back of this thread, last night the water pump just gave up on mine and would not hold any water what so ever..

got all towed back in the late hours of this morning, and been out to have a look at it today but can't quite figure out how the whole assembly for the water pump and the Aux belt goes as ive not worked on the F4R in the past..

Is the pump an absolute mare to do? Although its not related to the timing belt is there andything that needs removing relating to it..

And does anyone have any hints/tips/guides as to how the hell to do it, as its a bank holiday weekend and need it back on the road pronto for work..

Cheers Chaps and Chappet's

lesson to learn there is don't try to diagnose over the internet ;) Have it looked at

Just have to make sure you take it to the right place as there is a huge difference between a waterpump failure and an engine rebuild!!

On the back of this thread, last night the water pump just gave up on mine and would not hold any water what so ever..

got all towed back in the late hours of this morning, and been out to have a look at it today but can't quite figure out how the whole assembly for the water pump and the Aux belt goes as ive not worked on the F4R in the past..

Is the pump an absolute mare to do? Although its not related to the timing belt is there andything that needs removing relating to it..

And does anyone have any hints/tips/guides as to how the hell to do it, as its a bank holiday weekend and need it back on the road pronto for work..

Cheers Chaps and Chappet's

Bad news mate!! you shall be needing a new aux belt kit/belt at least

RB 182
Well could well be much worse news, to be fair.. And new aux belt and pump isn't the end if the world..

It is definitely doing as what a few have mentioned by sounding like a dephaser going and as soon as water temp starts to rise its seeping down by the pulleys on the driver side..

Just unsure as to if it's a DIY do able or a proper ball ache and better to just let a garage have it for a day..

RB 182
Now from this amazing photo that ive managed to ruin with my little paint adventure, i presume all the highlighted parts are the correct ones as would be needed to be replaced after a pump failure, along with the obvious aux belt as well..

cliosportengine.jpg

Now with this i would also presume it to be the case of..

1. Unbolt the upper tensioner from the alternator bracket to release the belt.
2. Unbolt the idler at the bottom and replace
3under both upper and dogbone mount to give access via lowering the engine on a jack to the water pump. Then unbolt and replace.
4. Repeat all in reverse order.

Now is there anything specifically needed to get the belt back under tension again or will bolting the new tensioner in place do this automatically?