ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wax n Washing on Respray

Polo GTi

Does anyone know what the procedure is with respray and waxing?

Getting my car back from body shop tomorrow had the arches and drivers door resprayed, and was gonna give the rest of it a good wax and polish.

Thinking about the 3 stage Meguairs stuff, is this gonna be too harsh on the newly painted panels?

Dont want to feck up all the panels that have been sprayed, or should i just stick to something simple like turtle wax etc?

The Jinx

Megs would be better. Id just use the wax though. If you havent already bought anything buy the clay kit and gold class wax. You dont need polish if its just been sprayed.

Get yourself a terry towel or 2 as well, as they dont scratch the surface like normal cloths.

I shouldve showed you mine properly on Sun, as Id just clayed and waxed it. Claying leaves the surface buttery smooth. And you wont believe the crap that doesnt come off in the wash, but come off with the clay.

Id also invest in the wash mitt if you can afford the whole shebang, as the deep pile lifts the dirt in to the mitt, rather than with a sponge where the dirt sits on the surface and scratches the paint.

Not that Im a nerd or anything.

Polo GTi

yeah saw your car fella, looked spotless so did javascript openWin pop_up_profile.asp?profile=6150 , profile , toolbar=0,location=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,resizable=1,width=440,height=370 "> paul1178s motor. Problem is not the whole car is being done, just back panels and 1 door.

I havent bought anything yet, so you reckon the clay and gold wax then? what about getting the rest of the panels up to scratch?

The Jinx

Maybe you do need a polish then. But the Gold Class wax and the Clay will make a massive difference. Id just then get a separate polish (but still Megs of course), but dont use it on the resprayed bits.

The Jinx

Just bough direct from Megs. There wasnt much in it TBH. You getting the lot? Set me back about £40! But worth every penny, and the wax lasts for ages.

The Jinx

Id go for the separates. The gold class is the best they do, untill you get in to hard waxes that is...but thats for real detailing freaks.

Talk to the bodyshop who have done your repsray work as to their recommendations. You may need to allow all the solvents used in the painting process to evaporate before applying treatments. Whem my bonnet was resprayed recently I was told to wait 2 weeks before waxing for just that reason, although I have no idea whatll happen if you dont!

Thread Hijack: Mike, which Claybar do you use? I am assuming Megsuiars.

Yeah what ever you do mate wait at least two weeks!! New paint as already pointed out takes anything from 2 weeks to a month 2 go fully hard.