ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Waze - Traffic App

320d M Sport
So recently been having a mare getting to work, gonna give this a whirl and see if it helps.

889ab254367a994924d3967b559c4540.jpg

Can someone just explain what these so icons mean though? Are they in stretched along a timeline..? It doesn't tell you anything when u click the various icons..?

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Been using this for a few years now and its been brilliant for my commute. The icons just indicate that there are 'events' along your route to warn you that there'll be traffic etc. They're reports from other Waze users - the exclamation mark is a hazard (stopped car etc) red+cars heavy/standstill traffic. There's also a crash icon, police etc. It's useful for cameras as people will report mobile vans etc on it, reroutes you to the fastest route based on pretty real-time information.
I've been some right odd ways to work, but almost always within a few minutes of the time its estimated at the beginning of the journey (it'll warn you if traffic is building up/you're going to be delayed etc). It also emans that if you are diverted due to a crash, it'll find a non-congested route (that every other diverted car isn't taking and jamming up) so it's been brilliant for that.

You can also send an ETA, which texts the contact a weblink so they can see where you are/when you've arrived (therefore the missus always has the kettle on when I get in...!)

I see loads of folks using it now (little icons appear when people are near you). Google actually uses Waze reports to work out its times too

Sell me your 197
How the f**k can you enter that stuff when driving? I can't even change song without almost running someone off the road as my car veers out of the lane....

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
How the f**k can you enter that stuff when driving? I can't even change song without almost running someone off the road as my car veers out of the lane....

Well less said about the how the better.

Google Maps pulls Waze info, usually if there's been a crash on my way home I can see a Waze report saying what the problem is.

320d M Sport
Ah cool nice one. Nice one Mr Panda!

You think it'd tell you where that crash is though if You clicked it..?

Hopefully it'll help my commute times.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I really like Waze, I've found a few roads where it's more up to date than Google Maps.

Although the routing is a bit... Brave. From time to time. It'll have you going down farm roads and residential streets. So unless you're in gridlock I would stick to Google Maps. Although I'm sure an update will sort that.

Overall I really like the app.

dk

911 GTS Cab
well its mainly about traffic, and if you're stuck in traffic you're stationary so its pretty easy ;) Its been made to be very easy too, so works quite well, not that I've ever reported anything with it, every uber (well the good ones) in London use it, its pretty much the only thing you need to navigate central london in a hurry.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
You know when you have an android phone, and it knows your location either GPS or phone mast... Well guess what, your phone tells Google where it is.

So loads of phones pinging back info about movement and speeds equals this info.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's good for a free app. But Tomtom is much, much better if you're happy to pay. I've used both very regularly, and Tomtom picks up traffic that doesn't show on Waze, and the route calculations are a lot better. Waze has also missed closed routes that Tomtom picks up.

It's the best free nav, by a distance. But you get what you pay for.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I've used it, but along with the above and the horrific effect it had in battery, I use my tomtom go unit connected to my phone.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I always thought built in Nav on a phone was a f**king stupid idea, and it kinda still is. My Garmin pissed allover every nav unit (even though its a few years old) and got me round Europe twice, trouble free! The less said about the trip with the brand new top end TomTom the better (Back in yoof I used to sell both, the TomToms were s**t then and they're s**t now)

However, Waze has converted me. Such a great app that it's all I use now!

I always thought built in Nav on a phone was a f**king stupid idea, and it kinda still is. My Garmin pissed allover every nav unit (even though its a few years old) and got me round Europe twice, trouble free! The less said about the trip with the brand new top end TomTom the better (Back in yoof I used to sell both, the TomToms were s**t then and they're s**t now)

Google Maps app has always been spot on for me. Europe and all.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Route planning on Waze can be laughable compared to Android Tomtom. Tried it after reading positive reviews on pistonheads. Folks will put up with a lot when somethings free!

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I couldn't get on with Garmin at all. I hated everything about it. The way it operated and how it looked in particular.

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Jesus that article is a bit strong. Lol "Someone might stalk you, or worse."

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
If you're caught speeding that's your own fault, the police aren't going to start randomly requesting speed information from Waze. It's like anything though, be sensible using it. 'Home' is set to my road but not my house, I don't care hugely if people see where I'm going either. You could probably gather as much information on someone (and a lot easier) through this forum tbh, or Facebook etc!

The routes it sometimes picks are a little odd, but then my old satnav used to take us weird routes. For a free tragic based satnav I can't complain!

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Waze is a brilliant app. Used it for years and even when they didn't have maps you have to build the roads. Was fun but they licensed a map and all was fine. Google bought them and integrated traffic into their maps from Waze.
Been some weird routes too but always avoid the traffic.
It is very battery hungry if you have it on screen. I tend to put screen off and let it talk to me and when I'm getting to a place where I need to see directions I'll put the screen back on.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
If you're caught speeding that's your own fault, the police aren't going to start randomly requesting speed information from Waze. It's like anything though, be sensible using it. 'Home' is set to my road but not my house, I don't care hugely if people see where I'm going either. You could probably gather as much information on someone (and a lot easier) through this forum tbh, or Facebook etc!

The routes it sometimes picks are a little odd, but then my old satnav used to take us weird routes. For a free tragic based satnav I can't complain!
Tom Tom are worse, they shared the places most people speed with the police so that the police can put cameras there.

Edit - turns out it was in Holland..... but still a dick move
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...ils-to-be-used-by-police-for-speed-traps.html

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I've been looking for a navigation app for a while that I can use when going about my daily business to avoid traffic.

I can't believe I've not seen this thread or downloaded this app before.

Just downloaded it and set it up. I've been using google maps for ages after trying apple maps for a short while and it taking me on all sorts of random trips and wild goose chases.

From reading the comments in this thread, it seems like a good navigation app? Avoids traffic hot spots too?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've been looking for a navigation app for a while that I can use when going about my daily business to avoid traffic.

I can't believe I've not seen this thread or downloaded this app before.

Just downloaded it and set it up. I've been using google maps for ages after trying apple maps for a short while and it taking me on all sorts of random trips and wild goose chases.

From reading the comments in this thread, it seems like a good navigation app? Avoids traffic hot spots too?
It's good, but the traffic isn't as good as Tom Tom go (which you can try for free.). Ditto route planning, decent enough, but not the best.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
It's good, but the traffic isn't as good as Tom Tom go (which you can try for free.). Ditto route planning, decent enough, but not the best.

Tried Tom Tom go.

It was good but took up 1.6gb on my phone and I had limited mileage every month (57 miles iirc)

I've got a 16gb 6S so memory is an issue

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Tried Tom Tom go.

It was good but took up 1.6gb on my phone and I had limited mileage every month (57 miles iirc)

I've got a 16gb 6S so memory is an issue
That's the free version, obviously the subscription paid version has unlimited miles. The memory will be an issue with 16gb though, don't you have an sd card?