ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weight reduction

New Kangoo Van!
Is it possible to lose around 100kg in weight from a 182FF without removing any interior?

Nah the isofix bar aint that much. I've taken mine out and it wasnt that heavy.

All the sound proofing behind the panels add up to quite a bit, but it would be a lot of work to get it all off and put all the interior back in.

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
My FF is 1040kg without stripping interior (well, seat bench and headrests for trackdays). Lighter wheels, lighter seats, ISOFIX removed, engine mount weight removed, engine hoists removed, engine cover and a few other bits. That's with a full tank.

172 5HED
My FF is 1040kg without stripping interior (well, seat bench and headrests for trackdays). Lighter wheels, lighter seats, ISOFIX removed, engine mount weight removed, engine hoists removed, engine cover and a few other bits. That's with a full tank.

engine mount weight??? Engine hoists? How and where?? They have these on a 197?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
engine mount weight??? Engine hoists? How and where?? They have these on a 197?

If they are what i am thinking of they were hit and miss as to weather you got em on the 182.

Just two bits of metal that you can attatch an engine crane too.

Weigh about 10 grams lol.

(probably not what im thinking of like :eek: )

dzm

Inferno 182 + cup packs
Dunno about 197s, but the 182 has a 2kg weight bolted to the o/s/f suspension tower. Engine hoists are for lifting the engine out of the bay.

Forgot, battery swap, acoustic removal and sound deadening removal would probably reduce the weight by another 20kg or so without affecting interior.

172 5HED
Dunno about 197s, but the 182 has a 2kg weight bolted to the o/s/f suspension tower. Engine hoists are for lifting the engine out of the bay.

Forgot, battery swap, acoustic removal and sound deadening removal would probably reduce the weight by another 20kg or so without affecting interior.

Done all that matey but will look for the 2kg weight!!;)

rps13
Air con pump & radiator , hoses etc is one of the bigger weight losses you can make.

Not to mention freeing up one or even maybe one and a half hp.

wheels, lighter front seats and interior+carpet+ sound deadening.

Seats are a big one, standards (with airbags - not cup seats) weight in at nearly 30kg each IIRC, a decent set of one piece light weight buckets can come in at under 10kg each, so you can find a 35-40kg saving just from that!

330Ci Clubsport
currently debating how far to go with mine. Still has aircon in which might get pulled, as well as all the heater stuff.

Its a track car (cage, buckets etc) but being able to return it to a nice car would be nice too.

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member
Get some polycarbonate windows, if your wanting to easyily return to standard just get the 3 rear windows, alot of weight in glass.

An aftermarket steering wheel will save a few kg too.

330Ci Clubsport
i think concentrating on the front end would make sense, with as little cost as possible. Hence removing the aircon etc.

If I could get another 100kgs out of mine it would be nice :) Interior bar dash and front doorcards is already gone, as is steering wheel.

172 5HED
Get some polycarbonate windows, if your wanting to easyily return to standard just get the 3 rear windows, alot of weight in glass.

An aftermarket steering wheel will save a few kg too.

A few KGs for a wheel?? Whats it made of??

Agree on the the plycarb, just scratches easy!! Been looking into it for mine but 197 windows are bond in so not easy to convert back!:S

Italian 3.2 V6
15" magnesium alloys can save around 50kg Minimum easy!.. Plus its Un-sprung weight which some say is x3 greater..!

172 5HED
15" magnesium alloys can save around 50kg Minimum easy!.. Plus its Un-sprung weight which some say is x3 greater..!

Cost tres £££ though surely!!

Im bloody stuck with 17" on mine cos of the brembos I fancy some nice mag wheels! :(

Italian 3.2 V6
Cost tres £££ though surely!!

Im bloody stuck with 17" on mine cos of the brembos I fancy some nice mag wheels! :(

Mine cost me £250 (4.5kg) 2nd hand.. Your best bet would be the new light OZ's.. They weigh 6.2kg a piece at 17" Which is very very lught weight for 17"

New Kangoo Van!
Blimey didnt realise seats weighed so much, that might be an option then!

Has anyone removed aircon?

106 GTI
by fitting an after market wheel your removing an airbag, would say its a saving of a few Kg's though more 1kg

Artic Blime 182
Why do you want to do this?? Just coz we may be able to think of an alternative way of solving your problem...