ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Welcome to Huddersfield (Break in content)

Clio 172 Replica Ph2
So i move from the Sleepy seaside town of Skegness, to Huddersfield for uni,

Everythings going ok...... Then some F**ker decides to go shopping in my car.
I was 19 on saturday, Had a decent week then this to end it, this car was my all, so much spent on it going to a sport replica from a 1.2
Gutted cant describe it right now, Wallet was in the glove box as i was at work and they dont allow you to bring money as your working with money, so that and My Satnav's went....
The Sh*ts also did 2 other cars next to mine that night, Carparks well lit and is covered by CCTV so just awaiting a review of footage :(

Anyone who's had this or similar done, can you let me know if its best to go insurance route or just cough up for a new window ?

Kirklees-20111210-00127.jpgKirklees-20111210-00128.jpgKirklees-20111210-00129.jpgKirklees-20111210-00132.jpg

Definitely do NOT tell your insurance company, unless you want your premiums to go up, for what will quite likely be a claim that you pay for anyway, depending on your excess of course.

Sat nav is a bummer but IMO suck it up. Obviously report the cards as lost with your bank.

Unlucky BTW. Had a similar break-in about 15 years ago. Except all the in-car junk was left on the street. These days there's pretty much nothing in my car worth stealing.

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST
My last car got broken in to in the college car park a few years ago. They only wanted the cheap Sony head unit, which once they had ripped out was worth £20 at most.

Everything was caught on the college CCTV but both college and the police basically said, it's unlikely they will be caught so best off just paying up and moving on. Even though the police were quite good and came and finger printed the car and whatever else.

It cost around £80 for a company to come to my house the following day and replace it. Job done.

Ibiza FR Edition
I would just pay up to be honest the insurance will shaft you for far more than the window cost!
My stepdad had his Megane broken into in France, took the front of the head unit... Clearly stupid as now both bits are unusable! But the worst thing was the electric window motor had gone, so the window couldn't be replaced! Took over a month to get the part as they are made in Japan... With the tsunami was a real hassle, so could have been worse.
Still it's a horrible feeling having someone steal your things, got broken into just before Christmas in my student house in Leicester they went through the ceiling into each room and stole 3-4k of my stuff, so glad I was insured!

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Unlucky. Was anything on show, like your HU fascia or was it just a lucky hit for them ? Looks like a lot of crap on your seats/floor.. too much to just be the contents of the glovebox !

Don't tell insurance. Assuming you have windscreen cover, just get AutoGlass to come out, pay the excess and you're sealed up again.

Learn from it .. don't leave sh*t in your car ! Card in your pocket and wallet at home when you're at work. Unless the SatNav was a week old, good excuse to buy a new one :rasp:

Nightmare mate. I had this happen in my 1.2, all by soundsystem was nicked and a window smashed. I cut my losses, bought a new window for £25 from a scrappies and fitted it myself and that was that. Paid off, I'm not driving a 182 Trophy. I doubt I would be if I went through my insurance.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Nightmare mate. I had this happen in my 1.2, all by soundsystem was nicked and a window smashed. I cut my losses, bought a new window for £25 from a scrappies and fitted it myself and that was that. Paid off, I'm not driving a 182 Trophy. I doubt I would be if I went through my insurance.

Worst I have a Trophy post ever. :p

But in all seriousness. Just shell out for the new window yourself.

Side window you can easily do yourself really mate. Bit fiddly but not on the levels of the windscreen.

People are arseholes :(

If you get Autoglass involved, I'm fairly sure it will end up with your insurance company knowing about it? Not really sure how that would work, what with it being a break-in. Might end up increasing your premium? I'd just tell the glass fitter that you broke it.

Clio 172 Replica Ph2
Right ... dad being the spanner he is called insurance, Autoglass will do it for £75 and it WONT effect my NCB, However if i claim for contents excess will be £350 and they will only pay £200 out.... Sooooo, Dads going to look into the Home insurance policy as that covers possessions outside of the home too

Titanium 182
Shame this has happened buddy, where was it parked? Also what course you studying and where are you living? Storthes Hall?

Just curious as I was there my first year of uni :)

My last car got broken in to in the college car park a few years ago. They only wanted the cheap Sony head unit, which once they had ripped out was worth £20 at most.

Everything was caught on the college CCTV but both college and the police basically said, it's unlikely they will be caught so best off just paying up and moving on. Even though the police were quite good and came and finger printed the car and whatever else.

It cost around £80 for a company to come to my house the following day and replace it. Job done.

Was that at Highfields? As part of my first year degree at Huddersfield we spent a bit of time there, whilst we were in a lecture my friends KTM bike was stolen from the car park - CCTV got a good view of the people and the van but the police did nothing more than file a report.

Right ... dad being the spanner he is called insurance, Autoglass will do it for £75 and it WONT effect my NCB
Doesn't matter whether you claim or not. Now your Dad has told your insurance company about it, your insurance is going to go up as it's logged as an incident against you.

Trust me, I know after I was stupidly honest when a golf ball broke my 172 windscreen instead of saying it was a stone off the road.

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
Even if they do get caught they'll still get away with it mate, had my old car done, cops caught them with the stereo, their finger prints all over it but couldn't prove that they nicked it so they got away with it. Made my piss boil

Clio 172 Replica Ph2
This was done while i was in work at the Galpharm stadium, (Mcalpine stadium) came out and 3 cars had all been done over, security will be reviewing the tapes today sooo we'll have to see what happens, Hope to god my insurance dosen't go up being 19 its expensive as it is, Even worse the cars up for sale :( haha

And yeah i am Mark up at storthes, studying Logistics and Business operations management

Titanium 182
This was done while i was in work at the Galpharm stadium, (Mcalpine stadium) came out and 3 cars had all been done over, security will be reviewing the tapes today sooo we'll have to see what happens, Hope to god my insurance dosen't go up being 19 its expensive as it is, Even worse the cars up for sale :( haha

And yeah i am Mark up at storthes, studying Logistics and Business operations management

A friend of mine's on the same course as you, she's in her final year though!

Do you work in the business park next to the Huddersfield ground then? I always get worried around that area, especially late at night! If it's not already too late I'd go to a scrapyard as suggested and pick up a window to fit yourself. Although I'm pretty sure the excess covered for windows on your insurance policy are separate to any other claims so shouldn't effect you in the long term, but I suppose as it'll come down to vandalism it might effect the statistics?

It doesn't have to affect your NCB for it to affect your policy.

You've been broken into. You are now higher risk. Way to go your dad :(

Clio 172 Replica Ph2
Well thanks for the advice but as i went into town to try and get some money with no bank cards, autoglass have sorted it, £75 and never have i been so happy to have glass, Only problem is.... im working again tonight :/

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Do not leave a thing visable in teh car. even a piece of paper. If the interior of a car is completely clear, so can't see stuff hidden under seats either. you have a better chance of being missed.