ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wet Track Day

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
At present its looking like I might have my first wet track day in 3 years on Monday (lucky I know), I'm running RSR's, not the best but not the worst in the wet, however I assume im best off softening the shocks and putting the cold tyre pressures up slightly? I also have a Whiteline ARB fitted, I noted that it does say its sometimes best to remove this in the wet, anyone confirm/deny? I would rather not have to take it to bits in the Snetterton Car Park if at all possible, but I assume I could just disconnect one side and leave the other connected.

Lastly any other tips so I can actually have some fun in the wet?

Cheers guys,
Dan

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
You've pretty much covered it.

Just unlink one side of the Whiteline yeah, that's what i do.

I seem to remember from the Whiteline instructions that the car has to be on the ground when fitted, how do you go about disconnecting/reconnecting yours? On ramps or just jacked up?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I seem to remember from the Whiteline instructions that the car has to be on the ground when fitted, how do you go about disconnecting/reconnecting yours? On ramps or just jacked up?

No just lie on the ground and reach under with two sockets/spanners and undo the bolt from the droplink.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Wet trackdays I use normal road tyre pressure.
The normal racing lines become slower due to low grip & worn surface.
Love a wet day, nothing better than chasing down & passing cars that would leave you for dead if dry.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
My second trackday was at Donnington, was also my first with AD08Rs. Was cold but dry in the morning, after lunch it was a complete downpour for hours. I drove at probably 6/10s and focused mainly on perfecting the lines with the luxury of minimal traffic. An E46 M3 spun in front of me and crashed pretty badly, but I must have done 15-18 laps in torrential conditions, no problems at all. I noticed I was improving throughout as well. I wouldnt worry just take it steady!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Lastly any other tips so I can actually have some fun in the wet?

I've not done a wet day for a good few years now but driving around a soaking Goodwood in my 172 Cup on A032 tyres taught me a huge amount about being gentle with the throttle and building it up slowly through a corner.

Look at the day as an opportunity to learn?

I've not done a wet day for a good few years now but driving around a soaking Goodwood in my 172 Cup on A032 tyres taught me a huge amount about being gentle with the throttle and building it up slowly through a corner.

Look at the day as an opportunity to learn?

Yeah,I surprisingly loved my wet track day at Oulton, felt like I learnt a lot more about being on the limit of grip! The only thing I was having issues with was the inside wheel spinning up when accelerating out of a corner, which made me want an LSD, but maybe I need to learn to be more progressive with the power!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Wet trackdays I use normal road tyre pressure.
The normal racing lines become slower due to low grip & worn surface.
Love a wet day, nothing better than chasing down & passing cars that would leave you for dead if dry.
Dale at Bridge To Gantry has a cracking vid on the wet/dry lines on his channel. It's mental to see how much grip you can pick up off-line in the wet.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Just reviving my thread! Didnt actually have a proper wet day in the end and depsite having alot of laps under my belt at Snet ive still never had a proper wet day there, however it looks like I will have one tomorrow for sure!

Im a little confused regarding tyre pressure, on some forums they are saying to lower them to get more heat in the tyres quicker, but others above are saying to run road pressures or slightly higher (including me), can anyone advise? I only have old 205/50/15 RSRs to use in the damp/wet which isnt ideal but there you go, they are plenty scrubbed in and still have loads of thread left, although a fair amount of pickup as well.