ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What are you being offered for your car?

Is it worth getting an RS now? Im sure everyone is aware of cars being cheap etc etc but Im thinking of getting something rather quick around the 5-7k mark(1*2,ctr, cooper-s), to keep for perhaps a year or two then get something fairly new, i.e a mk5 gti. I know you lose money when trading in, which means it will be silly to get a [57/08] 197 then trade in after 2 years. But realistically speaking, for those who are trading in for something new, or selling private what are you being offered? In other words are you being offered much lower than what you are expecting.

yeah 56 plate 197 easy...but still feel that its not worth the buy if im not keeping it long term, plus i wont be happy with the spec :/

Edit: Oh, didn't know that.

Yeah i thought the same.

But seems good, knock some money off and its aite. Much rather have a trophy than a 197.

OK, cheepest on autotrader is £7k for a cup and £7450 for one with nearly 70k on the clock.

I agree, but you'll have to be prepared to travel the length and breath of the country to find a decent one at that money. For that type budget your also going to have to rule out pretty much every dealer unless you know someone who could do you a trade price.

OK, cheepest on autotrader is £7k for a cup and £7450 for one with nearly 70k on the clock.

I agree, but you'll have to be prepared to travel the length and breath of the country to find a decent one at that money. For that type budget your also going to have to rule out pretty much every dealer unless you know someone who could do you a trade price.
...which is the reason for me ruling out a 197 =]

White clique
^^there was a white 08 plate 197 listed for 7k but i mailed the advert and they claim the price was wrong and should have been £10,950!!

I wouldnt bother with a 197 even if you can find one at your price, which I dont think you will.

If by some miracle you do, it will have been to the moon, crashed and have less spec than a 1994 Fiesta. Or all 3.

I love them but I wouldnt buy a pikey one.

Get a 182 if you want a Clio. A decent one is £6k. I cant see it being less than £4k in a few years.

So you wont lose that much but if you want depreciation proof then get the Mini.

Static Low
yeah mate mk2ph3 54 plate ! Not sure what id get in a private sale ! I nearly chopped it in for a 182 cup

trader.. cba lookin tho!

And it shows! Why dream up a price for a car that doesn't exist just to sound like you're "in the know"? There are none below £8k really. The white one at £7k is mis-priced and I went to see the Nimbus one (at £7450) with 68k on at Christmas and it's very rough and the price reflects this. The mileage wasn't a huge concern (even though it's very high for the age so was considering buying it if it was in good condition) but it has a smashed wing mirror, dents/chips around the filler cap (needs rear 3/4 painting), loading scratches on the back bumper, kerbed wheels, heavy stone chipping at the front. Interior is tidy though.

Static Low
thought so, ud deffo get more private... i think its better to sit tight tbh.

yep the 182 was £6500 aswell with 25000miles. black gold with dark anthracite turinis ! but yeah im just going to hole out another while i think, instead of jumping in

I wouldnt bother with a 197 even if you can find one at your price, which I dont think you will.

If by some miracle you do, it will have been to the moon, crashed and have less spec than a 1994 Fiesta. Or all 3.

I love them but I wouldnt buy a pikey one.

Get a 182 if you want a Clio. A decent one is £6k. I cant see it being less than £4k in a few years.

So you wont lose that much but if you want depreciation proof then get the Mini.
yeah a 56 plate 197 is probably the only one within reach, but 6-7k is trophy money imo, id prefer a ff, mini's also cost a touch more to run, servicing etc, so again another thing im taking into consideration, may not be worth forking out a that little extra for such a short period of time.

And it shows! Why dream up a price for a car that doesn't exist just to sound like you're "in the know"? There are none below £8k really. The white one at £7k is mis-priced and I went to see the Nimbus one (at £7450) with 68k on at Christmas and it's very rough and the price reflects this. The mileage wasn't a huge concern (even though it's very high for the age so was considering buying it if it was in good condition) but it has a smashed wing mirror, dents/chips around the filler cap (needs rear 3/4 painting), loading scratches on the back bumper, kerbed wheels, heavy stone chipping at the front. Interior is tidy though.
tunnel vision tbh, as i said not all cars for sale aren't on ph or auto trader. As i said before, id probably be reluctant to go down that route as it wont be my preffered spec.

tunnel vision tbh, as i said not all cars for sale aren't on ph or auto trader. As i said before, id probably be reluctant to go down that route as it wont be my preffered spec.

tunnel vision? what do you mean :S Apart from auctions for the trader, Autotrader (and now more recently Piston Heads) is the main source for selling/buying cars. FACT . My reply wasn't in reply to you anyway; someone said check autotrader, I did; and there are no 197s for less than £8k really - the two that are one was mispriced and the other I've seen personally. If you're so clued-up why start this thread?

swayed towards a ph2

tunnel vision? what do you mean :S Apart from auctions for the trader, Autotrader (and now more recently Piston Heads) is the main source for selling/buying cars. FACT . My reply wasn't in reply to you anyway; someone said check autotrader, I did; and there are no 197s for less than £8k really - the two that are one was mispriced and the other I've seen personally. If you're so clued-up why start this thread?
tunnel vision as in narrow minded. just because there are none on ph or at, it seems you believe there are none at all.

fact? debatable...

less than 8k?
i c, plus you could knock the price down
http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2006&vehicleRegLetter=56

as i said before, im fully aware that any 'cheaper' 197s would be on a 56 plate and have a list of cons, but they are still able to be purchased.
Mines for sale...

;)
u tried trading it in for a meggy? what you been offered?

Not enough!
silly tbh, a price you'd think is reasonable suggested to someone is almost seen as silly nowadays.

172cup
Id say hunt for a 182 with higher miles but full history and you'll get change out of 5k. I sold my CTR to buy a CBR600RR and Clio 182 with Cup pack. I had change, so happy I sold when I did. The CTR has lost about 2 - 3k since I sold mine for £9.5k 5 months ago.

as i said before, im fully aware that any 'cheaper' 197s would be on a 56 plate and have a list of cons, but they are still able to be purchased.

For me the one at £7450 is part-damaged, in that it's not normal wear and tear for that mileage. It's the only one I can see around that figure and is at the price IMO because of the unusual high miles and the damage around the filler cap plus a host of other problems associated with a high miler pool car. It probably would go for £7k but would cost more to fix than paying £8k plus for a tidy one that also has half the mileage.

Id say hunt for a 182 with higher miles but full history and you'll get change out of 5k. I sold my CTR to buy a CBR600RR and Clio 182 with Cup pack. I had change, so happy I sold when I did. The CTR has lost about 2 - 3k since I sold mine for £9.5k 5 months ago.
facelift? seem pretty pricey those,dazg got a good deal iirc

yeah it is actually better to get a neat older car than a haggard newer one.

Tangoed Works
if i were you id get a 197. a newer car with less abuse on the bushes etc will feel a lot better than a older car.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I was offered a curly wurly and a packet of Quavers via PM. Had to turn it down.

Ive just been and bought a 58 197. 160miles, every single option and it only cost me £500.

I found it on SecretAutoTrader. Dont you guys check there?