ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What Clutch

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Good Morning All,

I'm about to get my gearbox rebuilt by @NorthloopCup however I'm unsure what clutch to run.

I'll be running a gripper differ with a 4.53 FD and a lightened flywheel in a standard 182 Cup box.

My current Valeo has died after around 1,000 miles (although hard use) but I don't want to spend all this money getting the box built for a clutch to go so soon again.

IMO my options are:

1. OEM Valeo Unit - £100.00
  2. CG Motorsport Stage 3 (which I believe is a standard cover with a better disc) - £360.00
  3. Sach Performance - £594.00

I don't want to spend money for the sake of it on a "performance" clutch for no real benefit and IIRC people like @Sonic Boom are running a standard OEM clutch with no issues.

Any advise would be welcomed.

Tom

Helix Organic. That's what I use with my Gripper.

Valeo clutches are dog s**t, wouldn't go near them again after two consecutive failures in no miles at all. I'm just thankful they didn't damage the box or the block when they broke!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
You’ve killed that clutch in a 1000 miles?!

Sure it’s not just the release bearing we had to replace?

Bravo Tom!! Lol

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Thanks all for the input.

Valeo clutches are dog s**t, wouldn't go near them again after two consecutive failures in no miles at all. I'm just thankful they didn't damage the box or the block when they broke!

Have you another link as the one provided doesn't seem to work?

You’ve killed that clutch in a 1000 miles?!

Sure it’s not just the release bearing we had to replace?

Bravo Tom!! Lol

I'm not sure TBH! Once its apart hopefully it will become apparent what the issue is. However I would put my money on the release bearing.

Standard cover and cg dual friction plate.

I assume you mean the one I mentioned above.

I'm on standard Valeo clutch with Quaife diff.

Been fine for 5000 miles and probably 6 track days.

I just don't want the same issue in another 1,000.

Even if I got 5,000 miles form its I'd be happy as that should do me for 5 years!

I got less than 1500 miles total out of both my consecutive Valeo clutches. I would have put it down to bad luck if just one had failed, but two failing is far too much of a coincidence.

Not worth the risk of damaging the box or block when there have been soooooo many Valeos fail in my opinion.

This is the link, no idea why it wouldn't work..

http://www.primaracing.com/p/clio-182-helix-competition-organic-clutch-kit(828)

http://www.primaracing.com/p/clio-182-helix-competition-organic-clutch-kit(828)

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
I've only had one failure of a Valeo clutch and that was spring on the cover plating coming off and putting two holes in the bell housing.
So on a personal experience I'd want an uprated cover plate rather than an uprated friction plate.
Rich

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Decisions decisions!

I’m off an OEM Valeo unit for sure, although I blame my current failure on a non Valeo release bearing due to the OEM part being broken.

@bloke would you steer me away from a unit with an uprated cover?

PH2 172

If the plate has " MADE BY VALEO " inscribed in English, I`d be confident it was a fake.