ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What colour?

I like the colour choice, I know how you feel though. vinyl wrapping isn't as easy as it looks. I learnt that when doing my car. I ended up burning a few wholes, creating bubbles and tears and having to start panels again. I seen it as a learning curve. But the sense of achievement when you see your car finished is, great as you'll find out :). Have a nosey at my project thread if your interested i have a right up in it someplace of i done it step by step. Could be helpful.

Looking forward to see the finished product.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
The main panels such as bonnet and roof are easy haha.

I have been informed that this wrap isn't the best for the bits with tight recesses. So have some better wrap on the way for those bits.

I have had people ask if I'm doing the whole car and when I say yea, they simply say I should leave the sides black and wrap the bumpers with lines to make it a thick line down the center and it would look good.

I'm not sure but I will see haha

You wont need to tell your insurance company mate as its not a permanent colour change as its essentially one big sticker and can be removed at any time

Yeah you'll get the odd couple times the police will pull you over and ask why the cars not the colour its supposed to be but usually only the ones that are bored and have nothing to do. I have been stopped a times about mine but a majority of them have said its fine and no need to tell insurance.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
So far it does look crap mate tbh, I'd either get it done properly like that red focus or invest in some quality wrap and get someone who does this professionally to show you how to do it. (If you look young enough you could probably do it as work exp)

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
What you on about it looks crap?

The bonnet and spoiler are looking spot on in my eyes. It's just the boot is bubbling but I haven't got the technique down for that yet.

When the rest is done it should look nice, and I like the matte as it shows up dirt less.

Civic Type R FN2
I don't think it looks bad at all, his car his choice. Keep cracking on with it and see how it goes!

2004 clio 182
I tend to wrap most of my cars in some way or another, my last car, saab 9-3 convertible had a horrid fake wood dash as standard, it lasted 4 days before I couldn't stand it any longer lol carbon vinyl to the rescue. Dash panel, binnacle and gear surround done and it looked more like a sporty car inside. I couldn't stop there though and did the whole car in a metal flake black vinyl with two Matt black stripes on the sides. It looked great, even the guy who smashed into me at a junction thought so lol shame he wrote it off :(

I think done slowly and with good quality vinyl a DIY wrapped car can be done to look 95% as good as a pro job.

you've had some great advice on here, you've made a few mistakes and had some problems but then if it was an easy thing to do there wouldn't be a need for professionals. As for the colour, it's your car and if you want that colour then good for you.

my top tips for others trying this would be :-

do it in a none dusty environment, if you do it in your garage at home make sure it's not windy as drafts can whip up dust and ruin the finish.

clean the car extra well, use paint prep wipes ( I like wipes over liquid and a cloth as wipes don't break up or leave bits like cloth can do ) and don't miss the corners.

use decent vinyl, cheap stuff is very tempting but a false economy as it rips burns tears and causes more errors so you end up using far more and could have done a better job with less waste for the same price

take your time, it can be tempting to want to rush in and do the big, easy to do panels so it looks like your really cracking on but you'll learn far more doing some smaller more testing panels, learning how to best work the material and what techniques work for you.

if possible get a nice warm environment. Some people like room temp but I find having the room warm just gives that tiny bit more pliability so you don't need to reach for the heat gun or hair drier quite as often.

Remember to to let it dry or cure after. It's no good taking it out in a monsoon five mins after you've finished as chances are you'll just ruin all your hard work. Also try to avoid extreme sunshine for a couple of days, I have no Idea why but some cheaper vinyls don't react well, odd but true. Could be uv rays or something I have no idea.

these are just my thoughts, I'm not a pro but I do have quite a bit of interior and exterior wrapping experience.

Good luck to you all

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Nope.
It's missing bumpers and sides.

simply ran out of time now the school term has started.

I'm tempted to have the car plastidipped as it's cheap.

Clio 182 arctic
Nope.
It's missing bumpers and sides.

simply ran out of time now the school term has started.

I'm tempted to have the car plastidipped as it's cheap.

That's a shame, you would probably find that even though the sides are bigger, they are a lot easier to wrap. There are no major dips as such on the sides. The bumpers do have a bit of a technique to wrap properly and the recesses soon become easier when you do it the correct way.