ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What grease to use on rear caliper sliders ?

CLIO 172 CUP....
mate i stripped my calipers a few weeks ago because the drivers side calipers was seized.

so i cleaned all four and re grease with copper grease..now ther working fine...

nothing wrong with copper grease..

mate i stripped my calipers a few weeks ago because the drivers side calipers was seized.

so i cleaned all four and re grease with copper grease..now ther working fine...

I thought copper grease was ok too, but sideways danny says otherwise (see link above.

CLIO 172 CUP....
yeah im not saying (sideways danny) aint right as he dose no he stuff.

but like i said iv used coppers grease on all four and still working spot on...

yeah im not saying (sideways danny) aint right as he dose no he stuff.

but like i said iv used coppers grease on all four and still working spot on...

What did you use the copper grease on mate ?
The rear and sides of new pads where they touched the caliper to stop squeling etc ?
Or on the caliper sliders/seals too ?

Last edited:
  Ph1 172
I've go a well stock cupboard of Kluber NBU-15, so use this on the car, very good grease

Ph1 172
It all seems to be pointing to Castrol.

Where did you get Kluber ?

Or need i ask ? :D

its a spindle bearing grease, so a bit over kill for the job and it expensive too, resistance to water is top notch tho. i just seem to have an endless supply, get it from work ;)

Nothing is the proper answer. Make sure the carrier is well cleaned with a wire brush etc and the pads move freely in the sliders. Grease just attracts dirt.

its a spindle bearing grease, so a bit over kill for the job and it expensive too, resistance to water is top notch tho. i just seem to have an endless supply, get it from work ;)

Ah ok :)

Nothing is the proper answer. Make sure the carrier is well cleaned with a wire brush etc and the pads move freely in the sliders. Grease just attracts dirt.

No grease at all ?
Mmm, i get what your saying about grease attracting dirt.
But you need something to keep the water/moisture etc out don't you ?

What do folk think about using Copper Grease on the rear of the pads and on the stub axle that the rear disc and bearing slides onto ?

I'm still stumped what your really meant to use on the sliders if copper grease is a no no :S

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I also think you don't need any, I never bother. Not had any issues.

BG182ff,explod Focus

Copper grease is great when used for its intended purpose as an anti seize agent for parts that will be fastened together tightly but will need to be separated at a later date. As a lube for moving parts like sliders, it's not so good. It may work well for a while but eventually will just gum up the sliders.
You really need a grease that won't melt and run when the caliper gets hot which is why copper grease initially works and would be OK as a short term fix until you can replace it with something more appropriate.
I use Molykote 44M because I can get it at work and it won't melt at the temps the sliders will get, it's sticky stuff though which I'm not sure is a good thing.
The grease mention in the other threads would probably be best but I'm cheap.