ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What grit sandpaper for calipers?

Clio 197
Going to be painting the brembos red and i'm looking for a really good finish so was wondering what grit(s) of sandpaper to go for. Obviously i'm not looking for an immaculate finish as i'll be applying the paint with a brush, but want the final product to look decent for a beginner like me.
Cheers :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I'm genuinely not trying to look like a dick, but you're using 'really good finish' and 'applying the paint with a brush' in the same breath.

Are you looking for the best sandpaper to key the original callipers, to remove the paint from the original callipers or to flat the paint back after you've brushed it on?

I'd 100% recommend masking the s**t out of absolutely everything and spraying them rather than brushing the paint on.

RB Clio 182
You don't need to key them if you are brushing them, just give them a proper clean and use a scotch pad to key them although you don't really need to do that if you are using a brush.

Clio 197
I'm genuinely not trying to look like a dick, but you're using 'really good finish' and 'applying the paint with a brush' in the same breath.

Are you looking for the best sandpaper to key the original callipers, to remove the paint from the original callipers or to flat the paint back after you've brushed it on?

I'd 100% recommend masking the s**t out of absolutely everything and spraying them rather than brushing the paint on.
No offence taken mate, from what I understand spraying them would give the best finish. I'm looking for the best sandpaper to key the original calipers, as they're the original grey. I'm thinking something like 200 grit would suffice?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
No offence taken mate, from what I understand spraying them would give the best finish. I'm looking for the best sandpaper to key the original calipers, as they're the original grey. I'm thinking something like 200 grit would suffice?

Good good :)

I'd just do as Christ almighty said in that case, give them a proper clean, degrease etc.

Scotch brite them, blow off/wipe off all the dust and paint from there.

I wouldn't touch them with anything less than 1000 grit. 200 grit will gouge the f**k out of them.

Clio 197
Good good :smile:

I'd just do as Christ almighty said in that case, give them a proper clean, degrease etc.

Scotch brite them, blow off/wipe off all the dust and paint from there.

I wouldn't touch them with anything less than 1000 grit. 200 grit will gouge the f**k out of them.
I think that's what i'll do tbh. Haven't got experience with sanding and don't want my first attempt to be one I ultimately regret! Thanks once again guys :)

RB Clio 182
Clean them up and decrease them mate, the caliper paint will cover the other paint ok as long as they are clean and dont have any grease on them etc, if you want you could maybe get some 800/1000 grade paper and give them a quick rub over which could avoid any flaking or chipping etc in the future, remember to pull any flaky rusty paint areas off too when you are cleaning them up and they will look loads better.

Clio 197
Clean them up and decrease them mate, the caliper paint will cover the other paint ok as long as they are clean and dont have any grease on them etc, if you want you could maybe get some 800/100 grade paper and give them a quick rub over which could avoid flaking etc, remember to pull any flaky rusty paint areas off too when you are cleaning them up and they will look loads better.
I presume brake cleaner would work fine at degreasing the calipers? I think sandpaper would be useful on the rears as they're not as "smooth" as the fronts. I'll be using a good wire brush to get all the rust flakes off too.

RB Clio 182
I presume brake cleaner would work fine at degreasing the calipers? I think sandpaper would be useful on the rears as they're not as "smooth" as the fronts. I'll be using a good wire brush to get all the rust flakes off too.

Yea brake cleaner works well I find, just make sure its all dry before painting in the corners etc, also try not to get it on your rubber seal on your caliper piston, I dont think its good for rubber.

Clio 197
Yea brake cleaner works well I find, just make sure its all dry before painting in the corners etc, also try not to get it on your rubber seal on your caliper piston, I dont think its good for rubber.
Cheers mate. Hopefully I'll report back with some pics soon, providing I don't make a total c**k up of it all!