ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What is Faster Vts or clio 172

DMS

A thirsty 172
And I have owned both, hence why I'm in agreement with the rest of people who have owned both. :)

To add to what Russ said in the previous post, there definitely is a lot of variation between cars.
Some of the 106 GTi's I test drove before buying mine felt slower than some of the others. I eventually found one that felt very quick as well as being in good condition.
Rolling roaded it a month or two after buying it and servicing it and it made 131bhp on the rollers. Only mod was a ram air induction kit with a K&N filter inside it at the time.
The heat wrapped Racland 4-2-1 manifold, Pugsport decatted exhaust and enlarged throttle body I fitted pushed it up to 138bhp.

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
the bloke in the s1 was going mate... its a friend i know

I dont mean any offence mate, i expect eitherhe had a bad one, or your a better driver then, this is what i mean, every situation is different, in theory the Clio should be the faster, but the vts/gti have fantastic ratio's and have little weight to pull and bear in mind 99% out there are modified, so there is always going to be a different outcome from car to car

DMS

A thirsty 172
And another thing. The S1 Rallye gearbox fits the GTi engine and is quite a popular "mod". The ratios are a lot different. It drops the 0-60 time down to about 5 seconds on a standard car if you can change gear quickly enough but your top speed will be limited to about 100. So if he didn't have the GTi gearbox it'd actually make the car slower after that.

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Well on the bright side, I guess we've all learnt lots about VTS/GTi performance, they arent to be sniffed at espeically if modded.

MCS R56
Well he is, half the people in this thread have either been in a passenger in a gti/vts or 'driven one once', the only people who can comment are people who have owned both, i have and i say there is bugger all difference in the real world, same as Dave has said.

There is no point saying 'well i raced this' 'i raced that' as you have no idea what that condition that car is in, even if it belongs to a mate.

Iv beaten a mates itb's VTS, but had a near standard one sit with me, as said racing one makes no difference as there are to many variables, only owners of both can give a fairly accurate description, but then its still not spot on as you can get a good one or bad one!

I understand this but anyone can actually comment based on their knowledge...for example, you and others have owned both and have explained your experience to answer the question. I can therefore use my experience of reading these posts to comment on any future posts regarding this car query. And disagree, depending how you determine the question.

But in short, no matter what has been experienced, the actual answer is the Clio is faster. This cannot be disputed. Had the question been, 'what can produce a faster lap time', or similar, then there might have been a valid arguement for the Saxo.

What is faster? The Clio has a higher top speed, therefore is faster.

Anyone else see it this way?

53 Clio's & counting
^^ this is true, after all thisis what a forum is about :) its just this always spirals into a full blown arguement and there are just too many variables for there to be a true answer, as you have said the Clio is technically the faster car so thats about all we can prove lol :)

Arctic 182 + yozza
the clio is faster to 60/100/top end

the saxo handles well and can keep up depending on mods.

end.

MCS R56
^^ this is true, after all thisis what a forum is about :) its just this always spirals into a full blown arguement and there are just too many variables for there to be a true answer, as you have said the Clio is technically the faster car so thats about all we can prove lol :)

Indeed.

182 FF
Most deisels are faster than my 172 cup once they get going if they gun it, but I've come around two imprezas before and left a bentley continental on a roundabout, it depends if they wanna play or are worried about breaking their car I suppose. Thats one reason why I sold my evo8 I used to get upset if anyone got past me and went and got another 50bhp to make myself feel better. Now I just tootle in my clio and do the odd B road blast or trackday to get it out of my system.

MCS R56
Most deisels are faster than my 172 cup once they get going if they gun it, but I've come around two imprezas before and left a bentley continental on a roundabout, it depends if they wanna play or are worried about breaking their car I suppose. Thats one reason why I sold my evo8 I used to get upset if anyone got past me and went and got another 50bhp to make myself feel better. Now I just tootle in my clio and do the odd B road blast or trackday to get it out of my system.

Glad you've grown up!

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Look at EVO mag in the knowledge section and you will find the answer in the specifications. The power to weight ratio for the RS Clio is way better than the Honda. Theres also various videos on Youtube of Clios against Type R's and the clio wins every time.

MCS R56
Look at EVO mag in the knowledge section and you will find the answer in the specifications. The power to weight ratio for the RS Clio is way better than the Honda. Theres also various videos on Youtube of Clios against Type R's and the clio wins every time.

Eh, what you on about?

53 clio 172
have had 4 gti's, and just bought a ph2 172 with no mods! gti's seems to feel faster when ur driving them, only coz the whole bloody thing shakes and makes loads of noise, look at the clocks on a 172 and u hit 100 in no time, doesnt feel very impressive tho!

williams and trophy
Vts- with air filter and decat.

Clio sport- Standard.

Reason for this question is my mate has a Vts and claims he has beaton Clio Sport 172?

depends really.... iv smoked loads of vts's in the williams, and also 172s....but craggy bought 1 new a few years ago....was always pretty much dead level, altho his ran a few tenths quicker than mine down the strip, that was always caught back up further down the road. 0-limiter in 5th, id take him.....but only just....apparently this was a freak of a car tho and became very well known on the club/strip scene.

14.5s standard 1/4s it used to run. and thats with his leather front seats in. lol